How bad does it get? (Covid-19)

This is brutal. Community is a foundational value to me. I don't know what is going to happen with small businesses. I believe communities and governments will step up in significant ways to help, but IDK.

Its hard though where does the buck stop? People don't get paychecks, Landlords waive rent, Utilities say they are not shutting off services but don't stop charging, banks waive house payments, the government gives everyone some token amount that like placing a band aid on a cut throat. At some point it all comes crashing down.

It's much easier for an authoritarian state to really lock things down and prevent the spread. I'm not sure I believe there is no significant number of new cases there though. Didn't they kick most Western journalists out?
Daily flights from Beijing to London have resumed. Retail stores and factories are open/opening and life is returning to normal. Hopefully we can be saying the same thing here in 60 days.

This is what I was going to say. I do a lot of business with the Chinese, and in China. It does seem things are going back to normal. All Chinese domestic flights have resumed as well as daily internationals.

This is brutal. Community is a foundational value to me. I don't know what is going to happen with small businesses. I believe communities and governments will step up in significant ways to help, but IDK.

Many small businesses will fail. Mine will but we were on the struggle bus anyway with five years of low prices in the dairy market. We were on the uptick and likely would have seen a better year this year based on what some of our dealers were reporting.

The worst part is that I had hoped to have something worth selling and now I probably won't or it'll be at a huge discount. Either way it'll take a bit for me to recover. Many will be in worse situations. I would think we'll see tons of restaurants and other retail outlets fail if this continues very long although grocery stores appear to be doing well, even the smaller stores, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Checked in on my 3 sisters. Two are fine and one is showing symptoms but not yet tested. She did test negative for the flu.

Problem here is people will be people and not stay in, so many stores still open and people running around like crazy. I am a firm believer that other countries shut it down. People here just won't, We will escalate and continue to be exposed until people stay in. People still going to spring break and taking issues home to Colleges around the country will just exacerbate the problem

Checked in on my 3 sisters. Two are fine and one is showing symptoms but not yet tested. She did test negative for the flu.
Best wishes for your sister.

My brother in law was tested yesterday at a local hospital...they tell him it might take 3 to 5 days to get results.

Its hard though where does the buck stop? People don't get paychecks, Landlords waive rent, Utilities say they are not shutting off services but don't stop charging, banks waive house payments, the government gives everyone some token amount that like placing a band aid on a cut throat. At some point it all comes crashing down.
Yeah our offices landlord said TS...pay up or else. So that forces us to stay open or go out of business. Sucks

Yeah our offices landlord said TS...pay up or else. So that forces us to stay open or go out of business. Sucks

Right.. This virus could be the death blow to all brick and mortar. Amazon will be the only company left. Jeff is living in a billion dollar bunker right now while he forces thousands of employees to work mandatory over time in his warehouses..

The New York State pandemic plan calls for "considering" stockpiling supplies, and has procedures for "not enough ventilators" death panels. I'd guess most States have something similar. And guess most thought that it couldn't really happen. Just like 9/11.

ETgY98HWsAAmS6O.png

CA in a statewide shelter in place as of midnight

Problem here is people will be people and not stay in, so many stores still open and people running around like crazy. I am a firm believer that other countries shut it down. People here just won't, We will escalate and continue to be exposed until people stay in. People still going to spring break and taking issues home to Colleges around the country will just exacerbate the problem

I would go crazy being house bound. I like to hike and don't run into very many people at all, even before the virus. I could go two hours without seeing another person.

I think we will see a mandatory shut down/shelter in place/lockdown or whatever you want to call it for at least 2 weeks maybe 3. I pray it doesn't happen, but just my 2 cents.

Some false info being
I think we will see a mandatory shut down/shelter in place/lockdown or whatever you want to call it for at least 2 weeks maybe 3. I pray it doesn't happen, but just my 2 cents.
Some serious laws would have to change, but could happen. If that happens, my perception changes. 100% this is way worse than what we're being told, like it's mutated and if you contract it, it makes your lungs disintegrate. :eek:

Short sighted stupidity by that landlord. If your company doesn’t pay who does he/she think they are going to get next? What are the odds that hypothetical next person agrees to pay the same rent?

Short sighted stupidity by that landlord. If your company doesn’t pay who does he/she think they are going to get next? What are the odds that hypothetical next person agrees to pay the same rent?
Considering nearly half the stores are empty, not sure they care

Ohio gov talking today as though it's a non-official shelter in place concept going on.

Not sure it's being heard though.
Yea, we’ll be shelter in place here soon. From what I heard today he already made the call to ready the national guard to enforce it.

I know the president would like to see a moratorium on evictions and foreclosures. Some governors have done just that. Best of luck to you!

CA in a statewide shelter in place as of midnight

We have been shelter in place since tuesday in the Bay Area. Still lots of cars on the highway when I head to/from work and the supermarket I went to wednesday afternoon was less busy than it normally is. I work in produce distribution so we are still working. Couple people are working from home, or not coming in (one guy who has a heart condition, thus a compromised immune system) but it is strange times.

Retail business was crazy at the beginning of the week, and has stayed busy, but food service (who service schools/restaurants) are going to struggle to make it., as will many of the restaurants that they were servicing.

Hopefully shutting down results in keeping this virus from spreading because the economic impact is going to be severe and take a while to recover from IMHO.

We have been shelter in place since tuesday in the Bay Area. Still lots of cars on the highway when I head to/from work and the supermarket I went to wednesday afternoon was less busy than it normally is. I work in produce distribution so we are still working. Couple people are working from home, or not coming in (one guy who has a heart condition, thus a compromised immune system) but it is strange times.

Retail business was crazy at the beginning of the week, and has stayed busy, but food service (who service schools/restaurants) are going to struggle to make it., as will many of the restaurants that they were servicing.

Hopefully shutting down results in keeping this virus from spreading because the economic impact is going to be severe and take a while to recover from IMHO.
I really don’t mean to minimize it because I agree there is going to be a definite economic impact and I know people will be impacted (my wife is currently one of them). I do see a flip side, however. The second we are over this there is going to be an explosion of demand that is going to drive a surge in business. That doesn’t help people today but I foresee a different time on the horizon.

I really don’t mean to minimize it because I agree there is going to be a definite economic impact and I know people will be impacted (my wife is currently one of them). I do see a flip side, however. The second we are over this there is going to be an explosion of demand that is going to drive a surge in business. That doesn’t help people today but I foresee a different time on the horizon.

I don't see the surge in business coming right away. If people are losing their jobs, businesses close.... Even if payments are suspended for rent/mortgages/utilities, they are still due eventually right? So you have people not having income with bills that have to be paid eventually.... I don't see this just bouncing back rapidly, at least down here.

I thought that at first but now I'm not so sure. An economic recovery requires that people spend, and if everyone is out of work then no one is spending thus no quick recovery. I talked to a coworker who's in China and he says things are pretty much back to normal there, and if they're fine with no vaccine and no real new treatment then I'm sure we will be too, but the economic impact will likely cost more lives and last much longer than the virus did. If you believe the numbers, so far more people die in a month during your average flu season in the US vs how many have died in China because of COVID in total so it's yet to be seen if we're overreacting or not. FWIW one of my close relatives was diagnosed with COVID earlier this week and because of a preexisting medical condition they fall into the high risk category. Doctors were pretty much 'meh, go home and rest for a couple days, you'll be fine'. Good news for them for sure, but when it comes to the virus. quarantines and the economy, I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse.

I hear what both of you are saying. But if we know anything about this country it is that people spend money they don't have. So I see people whipping out the CC for beverages and food, etc. Where there is demand there are people looking to make a buck. Those people have to hire. And the government - run by two parties desperate to take / keep power in 8 months - are going to do anything and everything under the sun to allegedly help people so they can use it during the next election. So I just think there will be a lot of forces at play which generally work to create a recovery. But that's just me. In the meantime I really hope people can ride out the storm in the face of economic uncertainty. It is going to be very hard for a lot of people.

Last edited:
For anyone who thinks this is just like the flu, or that lockdowns are unnecessary, or that governments are scare mongering, you should really watch this video. Fair warning, it’s quite shocking. I’m not an expert, so am not in anyway suggesting this is what is gonna happen here, and yes, I know the vast majority survive, but it may go someway to show why things are closing left right and center, and show exactly why this isn’t “just the flu”

Back