How fast is too fast?

I still think its funny that the acceptable pace changed from 4 hours to 4.5 in the last 15 years or so.

Agree.

I blame whoever came up with the idea of a pre shot routine. If you insist on a 2 minute display of 'alignment' and swings that dont resemble your actual swing then be prepared to be called slow...even if you arent.
Oh, and lining up your third or fourth putt should equate to a 1 stroke penalty.

To be fair, a pre-shot routine is one thing - a pre-shot imaginary range session is entirely another haha

I blame whoever came up with the idea of a pre shot routine. If you insist on a 2 minute display of 'alignment' and swings that dont resemble your actual swing then be prepared to be called slow...even if you arent.
Oh, and lining up your third or fourth putt should equate to a 1 stroke penalty.

Yea but a preshot routine is usually fine for pace if one does all else in a timely manor between all shots. that's where imo most time is wasted. As for on the greens, then yes the pre-shot (or pre putt) routines can be detrimental to pace and lol I like your penalty idea.

Ain't nobody jogging between shots. Except for somebody with abnormally short legs.

I frequently do that when I play by myself, or when I feel like I'm slowing things down with my crappy play.

I think it's reasonable to play as a foursome in 3-3.5hrs on most courses. I honestly can't remember the last round I have played that hit 4hrs outside of a charity scramble I played in back in September.

When it is fast enough that I feel rushed over the ball. The last time this happened the foursome I was in finished in 3:20 and I had one guy telling me they normally play in 3:10. Whatever.
Yeah, that extra 33 seconds per hole must've killed them. ;-)

Watched some older guys today in front of us take at least 10 Practice swings on every shot then hit it 30 yds move up repeat, they were quite quick about it but when do practice swings actually hurt you? I never take any at all unless it is on the 1st tee and don't see any upside or downside, still hit some good, some bad.

Just be ready to hit when its your turn. I golfed with this woman who would sit around and talk, we'd have to tell her its her turn, she'd then ask her husband which club to use, put down her beer, or light a smoke (one or the other per hole), then put her club on the ground for alignment, and then proceed to take 5-6 practice swings. Took 5 hours for 9 holes. I'll never golf with them again. We were lucky the course was dead, we only had to let a half dozen groups pass us, lol.

Watched some older guys today in front of us take at least 10 Practice swings on every shot then hit it 30 yds move up repeat, they were quite quick about it but when do practice swings actually hurt you? I never take any at all unless it is on the 1st tee and don't see any upside or downside, still hit some good, some bad.
I think they hurt you if you aren't aiming at something during the practice swing. That's why you see so many gorgeous practice swings, and then a horrible real swing. (when they are actually trying to hit the ball square, when the practice swings had no such thought mechanism.)

You can't go too fast for me. I play my best when I don't have to wait.

As a quick addition to this thread Skibumgolfer and I played as a twosome on Saturday and we were following a 5-some. Yes you read that right; a 2 behind a 5. On the first tee we were already planning how and where we were going to play through, and hoping we wouldn't need to get the clubhouse involved.

Well naturally we were shocked when it became apparent that this 5 some had Liquid Shwartz for breakfast and played at the same pace as us; a relatively quick twosome. I don't know how they did it but I wanted to shake their hands after the round haha.

As a quick addition to this thread Skibumgolfer and I played as a twosome on Saturday and we were following a 5-some. Yes you read that right; a 2 behind a 5. On the first tee we were already planning how and where we were going to play through, and hoping we wouldn't need to get the clubhouse involved.

Well naturally we were shocked when it became apparent that this 5 some had Liquid Shwartz for breakfast and played at the same pace as us; a relatively quick twosome. I don't know how they did it but I wanted to shake their hands after the round haha.

We have a couple of fivesomes at our place that play much faster than most foursomes. I usually play with my SIL on Sunday morning and don't mind at all being behind them.

To be fair it's been overhyped by the commentators on TV as that's all what said by them (slow play) and also have nothing else to talk about. Hehe. So puts more pressure on beginner golfers when looking for balls ect. Which can be expensive game in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't rush...but I don't dawdle either. I get to my ball, go through a short pre-shot sequence and swing. If I am waiting on a playing partner I try and time the start of my pre-shot sequence so that I do not create a distraction yet I am still able to hit my shot quickly once it is my turn...but again, I intentionally do not rush. I don't want to stand over the ball and be out of breath because I am keeping a frantic pace.

I also adjust my pace to the overall pace of the course...if it is a full course, and I am an appropriate distance behind the group in front, then I am setting my pace to keep up and I don't care if the group behind me is waiting on every shot...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there such a thing as too fast? I would love if every round was 3 hours or less, I shoot better scores playing fast rather than slow.

Back