How fast is too fast?

If I have to jog between shots to keep pace, it's too fast.

I have always been taught that the proper position to be in is immediately behind the group ahead, not immediately in front of the group behind. I am not a slow golfer, but I do not rush.

I also think it is a bit funny that fast golfers think that their pace is the correct pace.

I've never jogged between shots, and have played some pretty quick walking rounds.

Actually I have jogged on numbers 8 and 9 when I was in line for a great score and the sun was pretty much gone.

I've never jogged between shots, and have played some pretty quick walking rounds.

Actually I have jogged on numbers 8 and 9 when I was in line for a great score and the sun was pretty much gone.

You know what, there have been some rounds when the sun was almost gone that I started to walk very slowly....

You know what, there have been some rounds when the sun was almost gone that I started to walk very slowly....

Oh darn, didn't finish. I have 42 strokes on the first 7 holes, I bet it would have been around a 44.

Oh darn, didn't finish. I have 42 strokes on the first 7 holes, I bet it would have been around a 44.

that's the round.

Ain't nobody jogging between shots. Except for somebody with abnormally short legs.

Thats why I ride as much as possible :)

I have always been taught that the proper position to be in is immediately behind the group ahead, not immediately in front of the group behind. I am not a slow golfer, but I do not rush.

I also think it is a bit funny that fast golfers think that their pace is the correct pace.

Haha - that's true. My Jr. High coach was driving our team to a course in Orlando for a match and he asks us "Do you know the definition of an a**hole?" We shook our heads and he says "anyone that drives faster or slower than I do"!

Too fast is an excuse slow people make to justify or deflect criticism of their slowness.

but to be fair Hawk, (just to play devils advocate) couldn't slower people say sort of the same thing in reverse?
You see, the complaint is always only going to come from the faster players but whos to say (as blu eludes to) they are always correct.

I guess much of this depends on just what fast or slow is. And that is often part of what can be misplaced perception. If one lives in a place where rounds truly are very often 5hrs or more its one thing. But its quite another when people put up an enormous stink and in the end finished the round in 4:20. I've played with so many people who get all pissed off the very second they have to wait. Then they start in with all the things wrong with everyone and pace and all the reasons for it and how it should be fixed and how this cant be tolerated anymore. Seen it happen so many times and in the end all it took us was about 15 minutes longer than it should have.

I don't like long golf as much as the next guy but whos to say that what I feel is too slow is correct or not? Everything is only as good or bad as the person with the problem decides it is.

Quit apologizing for the snails. Majority wins and most people are annoyed by slowpokes.

Quit apologizing for the snails. Majority wins and most people are annoyed by slowpokes.

There are people who get annoyed by somebody playing too fast.

Pace is relative. The course should have an idea what is acceptable. That is the bench mark, that is the only time that matters.

Two things in life that everyone (golfers) complains about slow golfers and bad drivers. I can honestly say I have never met anyone however that will say they are either.

No reason a round should take over 4.5 hours. Personally I can fly around a course but comfortable to me is about 3.5 . I love golf and I love taking the time to relax however I am far to busy to stand and wait for someone that wants to play golf in 5.5 hours.

I still think its funny that the acceptable pace changed from 4 hours to 4.5 in the last 15 years or so.

Too fast is an excuse slow people make to justify or deflect criticism of their slowness.

Post of the year!

Too fast is if you are waiting on every shot and the group behind you is a hole and a half back and not playing slowly You have to adjust your speed to the course conditions. I have played a 6700 yard course in 2:45 when I'm in the first group out and 4:15 when I tee off at 10:00AM. Golfers who are on my tail when it is obvious there are three or four groups directly ahead of us really get on my nerves. There is no chance of playing through cause there is no place to go. Chill out, enjoy the round.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

....and too slow is the excuse speed demons make for their lack of patience.

That game can definitely be played both ways. I'm of the opinion that a foursome should finish in 4 hours or less. To expect a completed round in 3 is absurd and fosters the same irritation that fast player get from slow ones.

I'm out to have a good time and enjoy every minute on the course. I love to golf whether fast or slow, and I won't let my enjoyment be derailed by trivial annoyances. I'd rather make a game of chipping to tee markers for dollars or finding some other way to pass the time having to wait instead of complaining about others. Just doesn't foster good vibes, IMO.

I still think its funny that the acceptable pace changed from 4 hours to 4.5 in the last 15 years or so.

But you have to consider how that statement also coincidentally coexists in the same time frame with the great influx from the late 90's. Generally speaking, more people doing just about anything usually means longer times doing it. Although there is a decline (some will say exodus) in the golf population over the past few years its still much more popular than it was prior to the influx. None of which is an excuse but just saying it is what it is.

But you have to consider how that statement also coincidentally coexists in the same time frame with the great influx from the late 90's. Generally speaking, more people doing just about anything usually means longer times doing it. Although there is a decline (some will say exodus) in the golf population over the past few years its still much more popular than it was prior to the influx. None of which is an excuse but just saying it is what it is.

This does not work when you look at the recent declines yet the time is still the same. They moved the time back to 4.5 because slower golfers were taking longer than 4 hours. Tee time spacing has not changed much (courses are still 8 or 10 minutes). Golfers scores have not changed much. The one constant is slower on tour, slower on the weekends.

Unfortunately, pace of play is normally dictated by the group in front of you. Unless you're the first group out, or are playing on a day without much play, you don't get to play to your natural pace. My usual foursome can play 18 in under 3 hours, but we can also enjoy a relaxing 18 in 4 hours.

Way I see it, if my round takes between 3.5 and 4 hours with a foursome, the pace was good. Faster than 3.5 hours starts to be a push, slower than 4 starts to get irritating. Shorter courses with holes very close together, maybe knock that down to 3.25 - 3.45.

Now, by myself, I can boogie off the course in 2.5 to 3 hours if I don't wait. But that's entirely different.

This does not work when you look at the recent declines yet the time is still the same. They moved the time back to 4.5 because slower golfers were taking longer than 4 hours. Tee time spacing has not changed much (courses are still 8 or 10 minutes). Golfers scores have not changed much. The one constant is slower on tour, slower on the weekends.

I would have to ask because I simply do not know the answer. What was (if you know) the average pro tour round times some years back vs today? I thought they were always slow. I do know that Jack was known for being too slow especially with the putting. And today when I watch Jason day stare down the approach shot while the audience watches grass grow I just wonder how slow has pro golf actually become on average vs past eras.

As fast as it's enjoyable. Everyone is different and my game is different every round. If you feel rushed or out of sorts because it's too fast, then that is too fast, but if you're having a good time and not out of your comfort zone then the speed is good (doesn't apply to slow play).

I'm not shy about telling the group to slow down. The last thing I need is to feel like I'm in a race! It's meant to be a relaxing time, that said I don't mind getting through a round in 3.5-3.75 hours. Too fast and I'll leave the game/group.

I should probably add that I walk 99.9% of the rounds I play. The courses I play are also far from flat! Nothing annoys me more than being hurried by a group in a cart when the course is full.

I'm with ya! I hate slow 5 or 5.5 hour rounds, but I hate speed golf as well. I hurry to get home from work to get to the course. When I get there, I don't want to be there for 6 hours to play 18, but I'm there to enjoy the game, being outside enjoying the weather and the people I'm with, so just keeping the normal pace is perfect.

I could think of a lot of worse places to be sitting than on a golf course........

3 hours to 4 hours is great. By myself a little over 2 hours

I blame whoever came up with the idea of a pre shot routine. If you insist on a 2 minute display of 'alignment' and swings that dont resemble your actual swing then be prepared to be called slow...even if you arent.
Oh, and lining up your third or fourth putt should equate to a 1 stroke penalty.

Back