How much fruit do you eat?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I'm in the process of improving my diet and one big gaping hole was fruit. So I've started eating two different ones per day (currently an apple and a pear).

What's your fruit intake?

Not enough. Most of it is probably from squeezing and orange, lemon, or lime in my drinks haha.

I'll eat about 3 bananas a week. Maybe and apple or two but, like you, I need to improve in that area of my diet. Veggies, too. I'm truly too much of a meat and potatoes guy.

At least one fruit serving a day. That could be an apple, grapes, mandarin oranges, banana etc…

Our granddaughter living with us full time certainly helps that since I’m trying hard to instill good food habits into her life.

I eat either an apple, a banana or a couple mandarin oranges with breakfast every day. Also occasionally snack on fruit throughout the day.

Not enough. I grew up snacking on fruit but as an adult I don't eat enough. My wife says we should start taking a daily fruit and vegetables supplement.

not nearly enough

Rarely. And, I like fruit, just never eat it.

Wish I did.

I'd say at least one serving a day between berries, oranges, grapes, etc.

Definitely not enough. Bananas are my go-to, but I will also throw an apple in there every now and then.

I do go to the grocery store often during lunch, so sometimes I'll just pick up a few pieces of fruit to snack on for lunch or an afternoon snack.

I'm in the process of improving my diet and one big gaping hole was fruit. So I've started eating two different ones per day (currently an apple and a pear).

What's your fruit intake?
There may not actually be a gaping hole in your diet to be filled with fruit depending on your needs. Many fruits are high sugar/high glycemic index and will spike your blood sugar especially if eaten alone.

I had 12 sessions of nutritional counseling to address pre-diabetes. The nutritionist recommended an eating plan of 4-5 small meals per day with very little fruit and a lot more protein than most people consume. Her recommended fruits were only the low glycemic index ones such as blueberries and strawberries. Almost all juices are liquid sugar too and not recommended.

There may not actually be a gaping hole in your diet to be filled with fruit depending on your needs. Many fruits are high sugar/high glycemic index and will spike your blood sugar especially if eaten alone.

I had 12 sessions of nutritional counseling to address pre-diabetes. The nutritionist recommended an eating plan of 4-5 small meals per day with very little fruit and a lot more protein than most people consume. Her recommended fruits were only the low glycemic index ones such as blueberries and strawberries. Almost all juices are liquid sugar too and not recommended.

Absolutely this.

I haven't drunk any fruit juice or eaten fruit for over 6 years now with the exception of occasionally small amounts of berries, usually to top greek yoghurt for breakfast - although not eating breakfast as part of intermittent fasting is another topic. Berries contain beneficial phenolic compounds particularly blueberries.

It is a critical element of a low-carb / high protein approach to nutrition either for diabetes/pre-diabetes or just general health and weight management.

Thanks.

Honestly, I find food and diet recommendations in general very confusing. I mean I have slightly high blood pressure so I went to the UK health website and saw eating fruit as something to do - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/treatment/

Everything seems to have pros and cons and it's difficult to work out!

I have a banana every day in my homemade protein shakes. We typically have another fruit go in there as well (blueberries or raspberries). I love gala apples and oranges. Try and eat those regularly as well.

Thanks.

Honestly, I find food and diet recommendations in general very confusing. I mean I have slightly high blood pressure so I went to the UK health website and saw eating fruit as something to do - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-blood-pressure-hypertension/treatment/

Everything seems to have pros and cons and it's difficult to work out!
It's a tiering thing - I'm also an elevated BP sufferer.

If you are eating loads of bread, sweets, fries, cake, pastries etc then moving to fruit for snacks is beneficial.

Still very sugary though and so nuts, 80%+ cocoa dark chocolate (small amounts), protein based snacks or a small handful of berries are potentially better.... always best to get a GPs opinion though. Mine is genetic, and so managing it is important - but I'm unlikely to ever get rid of it.

Not enough but I eat about 8 serves of veggies a day.

Not much. I'll eat an apple from time to time and I love fresh melons during the summer but the rest of the fruits I just don't like and I just can't tolerate bananas at all. They're the only food that makes me gag. It's really weird because I have yet to find a veggie I won't eat, but I just do not like fruits.

I love fruit. Currently, I'm on a banana and pineapple kick.

IMG_8358.jpeg
An apple and putting what’s not to love

I eat whatever SWMBO brings home from store and it's a wide variety every week. Apples, bananas, oranges at the moment, with real limes for water.

Usually daily

Generally not enough but I tend to go through phases where I will eat apples, grapes, pineapple for a while but then not eat them for months

Yet whenever I am on holiday, fruit is probably one of the most eaten things, especially for breakfast and after lunches

Jen was diagnosed as pre-diabetic a few years ago, so needs to be a bit more careful about what she eats, but ironically fruit can cause her blood sugar to spike so it is a balancing act

Near zero. Common fruits are mostly garbage when it comes to health.

Back