How much would you pay for green fees on vacation?

What is the max amount you would pay for a normal resort course on vacation?

• Under $100

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • $100-$200

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • $200-$300

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • $300+

Votes: 19 21.8%

• Total voters
Title says it all

Excluding once in a lifetime bucket list courses like a Pebble or Tara Iti or Shadow Creek, how much would you pay for a round at a resort course on vacation?

Settle a debate for us here. I would pay $300 at a Cabot/Dream Golf type of place with established quality and experience but wouldn't pay more than $200 unless we had a golf package that meant for a discount at other resort courses. Everything is subjective and everyone has a different budget. I was surprised to see some nice but mundane courses in FL and the Caribbean (like I would pay $300 for Teeth of the Dog but not for a hotel golf course like the Bavaro, etc). I mean we played Tobacco and Pine Needles for less. Spruce Peak in VT is charging over $250 for a round without a range or other amenities. You can get the same mountain experience at Sugarloaf or Sunday River in ME for half or less.
Winter rates for FL exist until the beginning of May. Not uncommon to see rates double to triple from November to May!

Well, kind of. There is a difference between splurging bending over. There is absolutely no way to justify $300.00 for a round of golf,anywhere, other than the fact that there are suckers willing to pay it.
This may be one of the worst takes I’ve ever heard, but hey you do you.

For a really nice course on a golf vacation I’d do a 200-300 round.

Vacation I would splurge more than day to day. 300+

This may be one of the worst takes I’ve ever heard, but hey you do you.
He never misses an opportunity to make sure people understand they're foolish, suckers, dumb, etc. 😂

He never misses an opportunity to make sure people understand they're foolish, suckers, dumb, etc. 😂
To each their own!

This is my 3 rd of 6 weeks im in Tucson.And we have spent a lot golfing.We are staying at a retirement community that they included discounted golf at their courses.Got a little bored playing these so we ventured out and played others in the area. New experience and such really don’t have a price limit imho.You only live once, so go out and enjoy it.But have to say desert golf all looks the same imho

We generally don't pay much during the summer for golf. We have a public course in great condition that is less than $50 on weekends walking. On vacation we want to splurge a little but I have trouble convincing the business manager of the family that $300 is worth it for a really amazing course. Generally I like to mix and match with courses unless we are only staying at a golf resort (and we like the ones that have bundled packages rather than a la carte: "ok rooms are $350 a night and rounds are $300 for every course except the pitch and putt. How many rounds should we put you down for?"

I guess with would really depend on the course. I’d say $150-250. Maybe $300 if it’s something really good

25 years ago I paid $115 for a course in the Virgin Islands; probably still close to my limit.
Mahogany Run on St. Thomas? Or one of the ones on St. Croix?

I realized I didn’t answer the question.

I think the course quality is gonna determine that. If someone said hey, we’re going to Long Island and we’re gonna play a public course out there and it’s gonna be 400 bucks. It’s just a local muni that isn’t Bethpage. Me: 😐. Hey! No thanks.

Vs Hey, we’re going to Long Island and we got onto Shinnecock. It’s gonna be 400. Uhh, I’m contemplating calling ahead and prepaying so they can’t realize they’ve made a mistake.

I am usually in the $100/$200 range. I could probably talk myself into going higher for the right course.

I'm not cheap, but I don't like when we are kinda sorta locked in with a high rate because it's 'convenient.' if I'm driving or have car access, I'll often go outside the rip off zone. If not, then $200 or so should be able to find a course to play.

If I'm only playing once, I'll look for something nicer, if I'm fitting tut bill for me and others, could be less.

Too many variables.

Have a trip in August where 6 courses I'm playing are xs of 300. Many quality courses are xs 300 at this point.

What is a normal resort course?

Something like Sandestin? Hammock Beach? Sea Island? Hilton Head?

Normal golf resort? PGA National? Bandon? Streamsong? Pinehurst? Pebble?

For our anniversary 7 years ago my wife and I went back to Maui where we had a work vacation some 27 years earlier. Both of us golf so we did spend more than $300 each to play the Plantation course. I figured it was ok to splurge as the hotel and airfare were both paid by points accumulated over many years. It was a lot of fun but not something I would or could do again.

What is a normal resort course?

Something like Sandestin? Hammock Beach? Sea Island? Hilton Head?

Normal golf resort? PGA National? Bandon? Streamsong? Pinehurst? Pebble?
I would say places like Pinehurst, Pebble, Sea Island, Kiawah, Sea Pines are more luxurious than a normal resort course. Bandon/Cabot separated from normal resort.

I suppose for some the above courses are just a drop in the bucket.

What precipitated this poll...thanks everyone for the comments!...is discussing the cost of Sand Valley, which to me is a bucket list destination like Bandon. In Florida we were surprised by the rates of some "tier 2" type courses but picked out a nice combination of the best conditions, value, and experience.

$260/round in Cabo is my vacation splurge.

I voted $100-200. But realistically I’m going to be paying about $250/round the next time I’m in Mexico

I think $200-300. Although I have Kingsbarns in Scotland scheduled in July and that is over $500. If I can get onto the Old Course, that will be two $500ers in short order. You only live once I guess.

I’d go 100-200. Probably wouldn’t go more than that though unless it’s a bucket list course.

$260/round in Cabo is my vacation splurge.
What courses? I just got back from a non golfing trip down there and am planning on bringing the clubs for the next one. I was looking at the 3 course pass with Cabo Real, Pureto Los Cabos and Club Campestre

Back