How Well Do You Know The Swing?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
A few of my friends regularly lean on me for swing advice, which is of course at their own risk and they get reminded regularly to go get a legitimate lesson instead haha - but they seem to feel good asking me about things, and then i find myself going down massive rabbit holes on YouTube to try and learn all about the right locations for the club, and how that applies to all types of swings.

Of course I am quite critical of my own knowledge about the swing, but I am curious what THPers know (or think they know I guess would be more appropriate).

Do you know the golf swing well? If I asked you about the takeaway or the action at the top, or where the shaft should be facing, would you feel comfortable about explaining the process, or do you just go out there and bash it freely without overthinking anything?

I know enough to ask @Canadan
lmao, one of my buddies is basically dragging me to the range as often as possible right now.

Last night he said "can you put me in the right contact position?" and I told him "no" but I'd send him some videos. At least I don't give terrible advice if I don't know it that well haha

I feel like I can chop it up pretty good. If you start getting all crazy P1 supinating the ulnar radius then at P4 contracting the spinal refractory you lose me. But if you want to talk about the swing like a regular human being I think I can hold a conversation.

Thanks to lessons I am sure I know more than the average golfer, but I don't know enough to give advice or explain it to someone.

lmao, one of my buddies is basically dragging me to the range as often as possible right now.

Last night he said "can you put me in the right contact position?" and I told him "no" but I'd send him some videos. At least I don't give terrible advice if I don't know it that well haha

man before I even get to the contact position I need a more neutral takeaway position and a better up-top position.

I feel like I can chop it up pretty good. If you start getting all crazy P1 supinating the ulnar radius then at P4 contracting the spinal refractory you lose me. But if you want to talk about the swing like a regular human being I think I can hold a conversation.
Was that English? 😄

hold on, let me find my decoder ring so I can figure out WTF this all means

man before I even get to the contact position I need a more neutral takeaway position and a better up-top position.
haha, every move we make is unintentionally making everything from there harder, I think.

Can't remember who was talking about it, but someone mentioned that people don't realize how much harder it is on the body and effort put in to swing incorrectly. It's definitely true. Effortless power requires efficiency in a lot of spots.

Was that English? 😄

Yep.. And exactly my point. You get these "swing guru's" that want to talk all biomechanical and such and they get out in the asteroids and pretty soon you look like tin cup wearing 30 different training aids.

This thread made me think of this.

I can look at most people's swings and see something that they can work on if they ask for help. I may be obsessed and a great student of the game, but I'd be fooling myself if I thought I was some sort of expert in less than 3 years of golfing.

Also being a 15 handicap doesn't bring me much credibility

None at all.

In @Canadan I trust. He fixed me once. I'll let him keep is 1.000 batting average.

When i did see a true Pro he showed me some things about what *should* be in my swing, so I now know a few things. Like in the backswing, the shaft when parallel to the ground, should point down my target line!!!! (novel I know) and the face should align with my spine angle.

When the topic of what is lag? came up.....All I know is that i don't have any.

And what might be most critical, what is the proper body position / hip angle at impact???.....clearly no clue.

haha, every move we make is unintentionally making everything from there harder, I think.

Can't remember who was talking about it, but someone mentioned that people don't realize how much harder it is on the body and effort put in to swing incorrectly. It's definitely true. Effortless power requires efficiency in a lot of spots.

its funny it goes back to an old instructor of mine, back when I could play semi-decent golf. He would say don't over-focus on certain things because I already do enough good things to accomplish what we are seeing. And while that sounds like a jumbled mess, his whole thing was about simplifying. For me, takeaway and weight shift are always issues. I get too far inside going back, which keeps me from getting into a higher position in the backswing and then gets me stuck. But fixing one helps obtain better positions, and my natural swing comes out and produces quality results.

Trying to force things in different areas, yeah it seems to muck up everything else and it all goes to sh!t

I feel like by the time someone gets done explaining what we're talking about like that, I've already checked the video, changed the issue, hit a few to get the feel locked, and am most of the way to the first green.

Yep.. And exactly my point. You get these "swing guru's" that want to talk all biomechanical and such and they get out in the asteroids and pretty soon you look like tin cup wearing 30 different training aids.
None of those things will stop my buddy from aggressively casting at the top of his swing because it guarantees contact with the ball haha

its funny it goes back to an old instructor of mine, back when I could play semi-decent golf. He would say don't over-focus on certain things because I already do enough good things to accomplish what we are seeing. And while that sounds like a jumbled mess, his whole thing was about simplifying. For me, takeaway and weight shift are always issues. I get too far inside going back, which keeps me from getting into a higher position in the backswing and then gets me stuck. But fixing one helps obtain better positions, and my natural swing comes out and produces quality results.

Trying to force things in different areas, yeah it seems to muck up everything else and it all goes to sh!t
we may have see the same coach. Or more correctly, he saw the same things in us. :ROFLMAO:

Through my offseason work this year I feel like I’ve become very proficient in self analysis and knowing what I want to and should do.

I have a very nice ‘range swing’ it just doesn’t travel with me very much to the course yet.

I feel like by the time someone gets done explaining what we're talking about like that, I've already checked the video, changed the issue, hit a few to get the feel locked, and am most of the way to the first green.

I just dont understand the point. Use normal terms. They are trying to turn golf into rocket science..

I have learned a lot the last few years but not enough to fix myself let alone anyone else haha

None of those things will stop my buddy from aggressively casting at the top of his swing because it guarantees contact with the ball haha

Right. You can use a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo technical golf swing science jargon. Or, simple say. You are casting because you are humping the goat.. Which is more visual and more fun?

Right. You can use a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo technical golf swing science jargon. Or, simple say. You are casting because you are humping the goat.. Which is more visual and more fun?

Back