How Well Do You Know The Swing?

i adore the golf swing. i consume a lot of info on it to try to understand it better. as is so often the case, the more i learn the more i realize how little i know.

Exactly

I don't. Just try to hit it solid and straight

I know enough to overthink things and not enough to know what I'm doing.

@Canadan you did pretty well for my driver swing thoughts so I think you're selling yourself a bit short.

My boss went to GolfTec this past weekend for the swing evaluation, brought me the video to look at and I was all

I personally go out and try to swing freely although I'm starting to watch/look at things a bit closer. I don't video myself though, so I couldn't even tell you what my swing looks like.

I like Jim Mclean's "death moves" that describe certain things that just can't happen in a good swing. I also like a quote from (Seve maybe?) that goes something like "it's OK to have an ugly swing if you're beautiful at impact."

I feel like I know a lot about the golf swing, but don't want to get "paralysis by analysis;" I'd rather focus on eliminating "death moves," good tempo/timing, and good impact positions.

There’s certain points I look for in my swing. That comes from my swing coach and such. As far as trying to explain or helping someone get to those places it’s tough. I’ve had people ask me to work with them and it’s tough. For me coming from yards of sports, flexibility, practice, etc I know there’s certain positions I can get to that someone else possibly can’t without building themselves to that but people don’t like doing that. They want to play and play now. I had a bud who asked me to go to the course soon as he got clubs. I said I think we need to go to the range first. It’s only then he realized how hard golf was. His back was sore as hell first time out. So I know my swing but as far as getting someone into that or explaining how you move that’s very difficult .

I do not know my swing enough. I do know when I rush and what I do to hit bad shots now but I do not know how to correct it sometimes.

A few of my friends regularly lean on me for swing advice... - but they seem to feel good asking me about things, and then i find myself going down massive rabbit holes on YouTube to try and learn all about the right locations for the club, and how that applies to all types of swings.

Do you know the golf swing well?

A swing, and all its cousins, knows me better than I know them, but we're all close friends getting along well.

I feel like I know enough to help out in some situations. I also feel like I know my limitations in being able to help. I rarely offer any “swing advice” to anyone - unless asked.

Recognizing the places the swing needs and where people’s swing is throughout….is why I never was interested in the golf Teaching route in college going through PGM

I think I can break down a swing pretty good. I think I can break down a swing better than I can make one.

I've had my swing analyzed by instructors in lessons so yes, I can film someone's swing and look for the same things that were pointed out to me. There's quite a bit of advice online about how to analyze your swing.

I've definitely helped a few people see their major faults clearly.

For those of you that do study the swing a bit, what do you usually see up and down the tee box at your local range? Big swings by those that can't make proper contact with small swings, and various awkward body moves that make things harder than they need to be are obvious to me.

I know what a golf swing should look like. I know mine isn’t it. There are a lot of different and effective golf swings. Not a one size fits all, but what size fits you.

We are either a Ken or a Karen

Practically everything about a powerful and safe swing that will last into the 70s. Any other swing type doesn't interest me.

I've had my swing analyzed by instructors in lessons so yes, I can film someone's swing and look for the same things that were pointed out to me. There's quite a bit of advice online about how to analyze your swing.

I've definitely helped a few people see their major faults clearly.

For those of you that do study the swing a bit, what do you usually see up and down the tee box at your local range? Big swings by those that can't make proper contact with small swings, and various awkward body moves that make things harder than they need to be are obvious to me.
I see a lot of stall and flip, as well as just ripping right over the top

Like most Men I'm all about the Visual 😉.
I took one lesson in my younger days and was told to slow Swing down. After that I would watch Pros on Golf Channel (yes, some in Black and White) and mimic what I considered simple Swings with a Vid Camera.
Getting back into game I am doing same thing although I can no long get my Hands/Arms as high as I used to. It's more a Rahm Swing, using larger Muscles. Once my Back allows me I will ingrained that Swing and stick with it.

All swings are different. The only set positions that concern me are on the downswing, particularly after the hands get to waist high.

There is an unfortunately large gap between my knowledge level and my skill level.

Do you know the golf swing well?
I have helped more than a few people out when they have asked, including our five time club champion. But, I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching the golf swing. I'm better at identifying what someone is doing wrong, for example, swaying, EE, OTT.

But, to echo @Hawk, my skill level and knowledge level are not the same.

I’m a pretty decent swing instructor. I’m not going to volunteer swing tips or tell you what I see wrong in your swing but if you ask I’ll tell you what I see. I have thought about becoming an instructor when I finally give up my day job.

There was a ten year period where I would read/watched everything about the golf swing I could get my hands on. I’m a big fan of Harvey Penick and his desire to make the golf swing and the way it is taught as simple as possible. One of the reasons I think Butch Harmon’s students have had so much success is he doesn’t over complicate things. I never cared for David Leadbetter because he makes things complicated.

As a teenager I was working at a course in the pro shop and the head pro got fired the Monday afternoon of the week the club had junior clinics scheduled. The head pro was teaching the clinics with the assistant pro assisting. Other than the assistant pro the rest of the teaching staff was either already booked that week or an independent contractor. So I was recruited to help instruct. We ended up splitting the kids up into two groups with me taking the advanced kids because I had played multiple rounds with most of them before and already knew what they needed to work on. Actually turned into a super fun week.

Old school instructors used to teach grip-posture-alignment. Once a student learned those address fundamentals his/her own effective swing could naturally emerge.

Old school instructors used to teach grip-posture-alignment. Once a student learned those address fundamentals his/her own effective swing could naturally emerge.
If any of those things are out of wack it’s pretty difficult to have a good result. If new school teachers are skipping those things they are massively failing their students.

This is me playing golf with a couple of internet swing experts.

Disc-Golf-Humor2.jpg

I wasted so many years trying to learn proper swing mechanics only to realize that 1) I can't, and 2) there are a lot of golfers much better than me who simply keep the ball in front of them and do so with what many would consider poor mechanics.

Back