How Well Do You Know The Swing?

I don't know much. I am a feel guy so don't get into all the mechanics that much. I think to explain things this site has some wonderful drawings and explanations of swing thoughts, swing errors, and swing components.

I feel like most of us could watch someone take a swing and see things that could be changed to help. Explaining those things though is the problem.

I just go with what comes naturally to me so, no, I could not give knowledgeable advice on the proper mechanics, proper positions, etc. of the golf swing.

I know just enough about the swing to overthink it.

I am not a pro. But I have been a student of the game for 45 years.
I recognize that we are all individuals, and no two swings are exactly alike. Some are downright unconventional due to physical limitations.
I do have a very good eye for spotting what is causing an individuals swing woes, and coming up with a solution that will work for that individual, while staying within their capabilities.
I never voulenteer that information unless it's my kid or my brother.
But I do get asked fairly often to look at a friend's or league members swing.
My swing can be great one day and absolutely horrid the next. Such is the way with a worn out body and arthritis.

I have some knowledge of aspects of the game that I'm confident in and would share with my 20+ handi mates with confidence that it would advance them. This does not mean that it would advance a 5. In other areas such as say the 40 yard shot over sand to an elevated green, I'd stay silent as I don't have a clue as demonstrated by my practice and on course performance.

A little bit of the basics and what I think I'm doing. Then I look at a video of my swing.

Have little knowledge of all the parts in motion being done correctly, or what would be best for me.

If the swing means the modern swing we see on the tours, I know it really well given it has been a hobby obsession for the past 20 years. Modern technology , social media and sports science etc has revealed secrets about the tour swing over the past 10 years that was not previously available to golf instructors. I am not referring to method swing types that had roots in swing theories from theorists from the 1960s. But the rotational swing with minimal rotation of the clubface through impact.
It would be pointless explaining the micro movements and positions to social or club golfers who own swings that are pretty much the opposite to the tour swing. Does anybody really care about other's golf swings?

I can't even understand half of what my instructor explains, it's very technical -- so no, I don't know that much. Thought I did, but I only scratch the surface.

The golf swing is complex and full of ratios.

I probably know more than 95% of people but that doesn't say much.

It's better that I don't know and just do what my instructor tells me to do.

Last edited:
My swing knowledge is very basic, and it's a rabbit hole I've honestly never made much of an effort to go down. I can spot glaring basic faults, but that's about it. It makes my head hurt to watch some of those instructional videos or read threads about it.

Have been playing for 50 years and have been around a lot of great teachers. Know more than the average Joe and enough to be dangerous.

All I know about the golf swing is to just swing the club head, and let the ball get in way at contact.

My long time instructor (RIP) was not real big on teaching the various positions one should be in during the golf swing.

Knowing I played a lot baseball, he also suggested I swing like I was going after a low, outside pitch. That, and to swing the club head to right field.

He made my actual swing easy for me to understand. My good swing basically took care of all, or most of those 8? positions in the golf swing.

After he was happy with my swing, his instruction moved on to fine tuning my grip, stance, and club face position behind the ball at address to match my swing.

I know some of my swing issues and some things for me to look for. I have no idea if my fixes will help or hurt anyone else.

I don't know a ton about the swing a few key points that I have watched from some youtubers. I have tried implementing some of them and some helped others didn't. When I went down the youtube rabbit hole it just felt like my swing was way to mechanical so I kind of stopped trying to perfect things and used some key points and trying a little more natural swing.

I want to change my answer a bit.

I know My Swing I know what feels right and what I’m trying to feel and accomplish. I know when I don’t make the swing I want to and I almost always know why even before I check the video and confirm it.

I know jack squat about anyone else’s swing and I’m never going to offer any guidance to anyone other than very very basic stuff or unless they ask me if I see something specific. I’m a strong believer in everyone has their own swing and they can make that work. I’m also a believer in everyone having their own journey to improvement. One that I don’t want to step on.

I understand enough to have a semi-cohesive conversation with someone discussing feels but that’s about. You get into P74 or 3 degrees open/close, I can’t put that into a feel. So I just go glassed eyed & start singing theme songs in my head.

i adore the golf swing. i consume a lot of info on it to try to understand it better. as is so often the case, the more i learn the more i realize how little i know.

I know nothing. Shocking for someone who has golfed for 25+ years. Seriously nothing.

I have gotten technical with my swing. Set up and takeaway is pretty key for me. Making sure body and arms stay connected and don't get run off is huge. I like looking at other golf swings and seeing how different match ups can work even if they don't look pretty.

Since going to an instructor who teaches a structured swing rather than whack-a-swing-flaw, I've gotten a much better understanding of how the swing should work and why it should work that way for maximum chance of success.

I'm still not the golfer I think I should be, so I try not to give advice unless asked, and always recommend a pro instead.

I know enough to really screw myself up.

I can help some people with short game. I am not as good with the full swing. When people ask me questions on the full swing I usually focus on aim, alignment and tempo.

I have a guy I play golf with regularly who is a very good golfer and also has a good eye. He has helped me out a couple of times when I was struggling.

I know more than you’d guess by looking at my swing. I can put together some very non-athletic movements into something that kinda works and it feels like I have a silky smooth swing. Video proof says otherwise. Not enough to offer swing tips, but just enough to be dangerous.

Back