I sometimes skim threads, this is my story

MtlJeff

The skimmer
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+2
I've been here a few years now, and there's a few things i have learned we hate unequivocally

1) People who skim threads
2) DTC Vendors
3) Fairway divots
4) Bags that have 14 slots in them (this one is bonkers, but i love it)

I do sometimes skim threads. I don't mean to, but i want to explain.....

Coming to THP is a great reprieve from the monotony that is work and family (well actually i do love my job , and tolerate my family)...but they keep you busy. I'm on a number of calls every day.....sometimes you finish a call at like 10:45 and you have only 15 minutes before your next one....so what do you want to do? Obviously come to THP and get a few comments in about this or that, because you know, you REALLY like this place and all

Now look, maybe there is a really cool thread about whatever, could be about shooting -9 at Augusta, could be about LIV, could be about LPGA vs some dude. Whatever. Some thing really piques your interest

So you are like....OK i want to comment on this because it's fun. But you dont have time to read all 6 pages, but you really like being part of the community. So you comment something and then 5 dudes call you a skimmer because someone on page 2 wrote that. It happens.....

So it's true , you skimmed. I can admit this....I , MtlJeff skim semi-regularly (but i try to make it up in other ways, on weekends, with ball reviews etc).... Sometimes you feel that you just want to be a part of a fun thread and if you wait 5 hours until your break you'll miss out on all of the fun stuff. It's classic FOMO.

We're not terrible people, we just skim sometimes.

OK, that's my thing for the day.

I saw “that’s my thing for the day”, but skipped over the rest. So why do you skim? Can you write it out again even though you just did because I don’t have time to read that.

I've been here a few years now, and there's a few things i have learned we hate unequivocally

1) People who skim threads
2) DTC Vendors
3) Fairway divots
4) Bags that have 14 slots in them (this one is bonkers, but i love it)

I do sometimes skim threads. I don't mean to, but i want to explain.....

Coming to THP is a great reprieve from the monotony that is work and family (well actually i do love my job , and tolerate my family)...but they keep you busy. I'm on a number of calls every day.....sometimes you finish a call at like 10:45 and you have only 15 minutes before your next one....so what do you want to do? Obviously come to THP and get a few comments in about this or that, because you know, you REALLY like this place and all

Now look, maybe there is a really cool thread about whatever, could be about shooting -9 at Augusta, could be about LIV, could be about LPGA vs some dude. Whatever. Some thing really piques your interest

So you are like....OK i want to comment on this because it's fun. But you dont have time to read all 6 pages, but you really like being part of the community. So you comment something and then 5 dudes call you a skimmer because someone on page 2 wrote that. It happens.....

So it's true , you skimmed. I can admit this....I , MtlJeff skim semi-regularly (but i try to make it up in other ways, on weekends, with ball reviews etc).... Sometimes you feel that you just want to be a part of a fun thread and if you wait 5 hours until your break you'll miss out on all of the fun stuff. It's classic FOMO.

OK, that's my thing for the day.
I love this and it applies to me too. Sorry in advance.

BTW we're pushing to be more DTC too :ROFLMAO:.

Not sure if someone commented earlier on this thread, but skimming happens 🤷

I saw “that’s my thing for the day”, but skipped over the rest. So why do you skim? Can you write it out again even though you just did because I don’t have time to read that.

I get it man, i do....Just saying this is sometimes why it happens and it's nothing personal to anyone and we all love the site

IMG_0614.jpeg

Next shirt after the Unlike Any Other release?

You forgot iron covers.

I get it man, i do....Just saying this is sometimes why it happens and it's nothing personal to anyone and we all love the site
It’s obvious the reasons and people can choose to THP anyway they want to.

But someone asked why it bothers? Because it sucks for a THPer to put in the work and type out something they put a lot into only to have someone two posts later ask exactly what they typed

Honest question: do people not use the search "this thread only" before asking a question? This more applies to lengthy review threads I suppose but still.

It’s obvious the reasons and people can choose to THP anyway they want to.

But someone asked why it bothers? Because it sucks for a THPer to put in the work and type out something they put a lot into only to have someone two posts later ask exactly what they typed

I would imagine there's a few reasons for skimming. And it's OK if it bothers you or anyone else. I try to skim as little as possible but sometimes i do

I'm not saying people shouldn't be bothered by it, only saying why it happens.

I was going to reply tldr, but figured I’d better check the replies first.

#savedbynotskimming

:welcome:

Sorry , lost interest after ….
I’ve been here a few years now ……
😅

I was going to reply tldr, but figured I’d better check the replies first.

#savedbynotskimming

This better work out for Mtljeff, I'm running out of golf forums that will have me!

It happens , more to the point the contributors, either seldom , semi , regular or addictive , the sum of all parts makes this . Compulsive reading and learning and laughing ..

Long may it continue

Honest question: do people not use the search "this thread only" before asking a question? This more applies to lengthy review threads I suppose but still.

Honest answer yes I do use the search function regularly, sometimes it's very helpful but it can also be limited depending on the specifics of the words you search for. Some words are generic and will return many results in a long thread.

Something under 3-4 pages usually is better if you search within thread

This is actually a brilliant thread. Like tossing a pile of red meat in a tiger cage.

I've got "I watch LIV golf and love it" queued up elsewhere!

It's gonna be a night to remember

Is there help on the web for skimmers. Maybe SA

I'm not saying people shouldn't be bothered by it, only saying why it happens.

i don't know, if i took the time to write up something in-depth and got a question from a skimmer, it wouldn't bother me that much. it gives me another opportunity to discuss the topic. and i'm also guilty of skimming, way more often these days than i used to.

This was already asked above.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist. I’ll show myself out now).

Is there a TLDR for this?

Back