If there was one thing you could change about the Ryder Cup what would it be?

The formats played are just the way they should be...Events like scrambles and shambles are for amateurs. Pure alt shot is the stuff of champions. No change is needed in the format of play.

I'm not sure the Ryder Cup, President's Cup and Solheim Cup shouldn't be shorter. One session of Foresomes on Friday, one session of Fourball on Saturday (or vice-versa according to the captains' preference) and then singles on Sunday.

Teams would obviously have to be smaller, but in the current format, 36-holes is a LOT of golf to watch. If you fall behind at all because life intrudes, you're stuck in the "I don't want to hear any news about the Ryder Cup because I still have 6 hours left to watch" situation and you're falling farther behind as you watch your backlog. It being shorter might actually increase viewership among more casual golf fans.

I'm not sure the Ryder Cup, President's Cup and Solheim Cup shouldn't be shorter. One session of Foresomes on Friday, one session of Fourball on Saturday (or vice-versa according to the captains' preference) and then singles on Sunday.

Teams would obviously have to be smaller, but in the current format, 36-holes is a LOT of golf to watch. If you fall behind at all because life intrudes, you're stuck in the "I don't want to hear any news about the Ryder Cup because I still have 6 hours left to watch" situation and you're falling farther behind as you watch your backlog. It being shorter might actually increase viewership among more casual golf fans.

Agree. It is a heck of a lot to watch and because it's addictive life goes out the window. Or life intrudes and you miss out.

Less of Brandel Chamblee. A limited number of hours for him.

I felt the booing of European players was not necessary. We were hosting them. We should treat them with more respect. During the introductions on the first tee, but even throughout the course of play, a simple round of applause without the booing and jeering would have been a lot classier on our part, and shown some appreciation for their efforts, win or lose, in my opinion. I guess I'm just old. I miss the days of respect for the game and all the deserving players. Ours or theirs.

One session of Foresomes on Friday, one session of Fourball on Saturday (or vice-versa according to the captains' preference) and then singles on Sunday.
I like this idea but with everyone playing, 6 groups out each day.

Alternating match ups. Like US wins the draw and then Europe puts out people then America responds. America then picks and Europe responds. A little more strategy. I'm not sure if that's how it's done but it didn't seem like it.

I would like to see Europe score more points.

Doesn't that kind of take away from the captaincy though? There's already a nice mix of 'earned your way in' and 'selected your way in'

That's what I don't like about it. They should make it EXACTLY what is done at the US Olympic trial for the Olympic. For example, in the 100 meters, you either have to finish in the top 3 to make the Olympic or you're out. When you have "selected your way in", that's when you have favortism and nepotism creeping in.

That's what I don't like about it. They should make it EXACTLY what is done at the US Olympic trial for the Olympic. For example, in the 100 meters, you either have to finish in the top 3 to make the Olympic or you're out. When you have "selected your way in", that's when you have favortism and nepotism creeping in.
But the RC is being selected based off a year long points accumulation, not who is in best form 3 weeks before the Olympics. I don't want someone who had a hot run during the fall schedule but has one top 20 since the first of May. Because of the points accumulated during the hot stretch, he could be in the top 12. I want the Cap to have some latitude to pick a guy who may have started poorly but hits a late hot streak but can't play his way into the top 12. If the Cap wants 1-12 in points so be it, but he shouldn't be foreclosed from discretionary picks. JMO.

Winning away in the RC seems like the ultimate achievement. Why take that away?

If it leads to tricking up the golf course like e.g. Paris or Hazeltine pins the last day being middle of the green to protect the lead IMO just takes away some of the golf value of the event. A lot of other advantages being the home team so would still be an achievement. Of course agreeing to when this change would happen is impossible so is not likely to happen anytime soon.

So, don't call the athletic directors, buy revenge Trackmans (Trackmen?) or do make those calls?

How many Ryder Cup moments & heroes would have been missed on points alone? As much as I'm not a Poulter fan, he was picked 4-5 times and came through almost every time. That's stepping up for good golf whether you like the guy or not.

NOTHING!!!!!!

i wonder whether the nfl is to blame, or maybe just ongoing covid issues, but can we not get more cameras on the course? i want the opportunity to follow any group i want to follow, not just the groups that the director cherrypicks for me.

The one thing I’d change is to not let NBC anywhere near it. They botched the coverage so badly in so many ways that it was almost criminal.

I would like to see all players have to take a double shot of the other team's choosing on each tee...
Sounds like your average everyday charity scramble, ugh, no thanks. Wouldn’t be fun to watch a bunch of drunks stumbling around the course.

I get your perspective, but I also think there's more than just favoritism here..

If you're a bubble player, and you're a big old Richard, I have NO issue with you not making the team.

Everyone plays each session. Too much BS about who sits and who doesn’t. All this does is setup an endless credit/blame game for both captains. I get it when the tables we’re slanted toward the US before they opened the field to all European players. 6 foursomes means more golf and I’m all for that. Also, these guys are professional golfers who can walk 36 x 2 days. If not, then make that part of the selection process. 🎙⬇

I get your perspective, but I also think there's more than just favoritism here..

If you're a bubble player, and you're a big old Richard, I have NO issue with you not making the team.
Agreed. Allowing Captain’s picks lets the Captain take team chemistry/cohesion into consideration, and that’s an important (and maybe underrated by some) variable.

If you're going to keep it with NBC, at least give Jimmy Roberts that week off.

Everyone plays each session. Too much BS about who sits and who doesn’t. All this does is setup an endless credit/blame game for both captains. I get it when the tables we’re slanted toward the US before they opened the field to all European players. 6 foursomes means more golf and I’m all for that. Also, these guys are professional golfers who can walk 36 x 2 days. If not, then make that part of the selection process. 🎙⬇
I think there's a lot of value in less-than-full sessions.

First, you can be more selective in your decision making.
Second, there are guys who shouldn't play that much golf in a three day span - gives them a chance.

Selfishly as well, I love to debate who sits and why hahaha

The one thing I’d change is to not let NBC anywhere near it. They botched the coverage so badly in so many ways that it was almost criminal.

Sounds like your average everyday charity scramble, ugh, no thanks. Wouldn’t be fun to watch a bunch of drunks stumbling around the course.
Oh I completely agree with you entirely, it was just my slightly tongue in cheek way of trying to find something to give us the edge somehow :LOL:

Back