If there was one thing you could change about the Ryder Cup what would it be?

Maybe require one of the captain's picks be from the Champion's Tour.

This - holy crap this. I spent the week fighting to see anything and had to just camp on holes.

Exactly what I wound up doing too. But also, they need to add a cell tower there. What in the world man…

Some hills you cant stand on, I mean gravity and the slick grass prevents it. On some of the hills you COULD slide right down into play.

Yep, watched a lot of people eating it over towards 4. May have laughed a bit.

Better spectator friendly venues. WS is an awesome track layout wise, but it was terrible for viewing. So many dips and bumps made it tough to see, and they wouldn’t always let you stand up on a hill to see the shots.

yeah, when you sent me that I was sad.

Exactly what I wound up doing too. But also, they need to add a cell tower there. What in the world man…
The best hole to watch was 7, no question. You could stand by the tee and see the shot and the green due to the elevation. Many holes had almost no view, which is crazy for the amount of people there. Crowd view should be more of a consideration (and the cell tower… yeahhhhh)

I wish there was a 3rd team of the top players from the rest of the world.

The best hole to watch was 7, no question. You could stand by the tee and see the shot and the green due to the elevation. Many holes had almost no view, which is crazy for the amount of people there. Crowd view should be more of a consideration (and the cell tower… yeahhhhh)

7 was great, hands down. 12 was okay just the same. I think it was 12. Little par 3 with the crazy green.

Ain't broke , why fix it? Too much tinkering will ruin it.

The only change I would make is to ban alcohol sales. Seeing guys drinking beer at 8 am, then hearing the moronic shouts a couple of hours later makes you think , if you just want to drink, why go to golf.

The behaviour on both sides has not been reflective of what golf is proud of, . Cheering American players hitting it into the water at the 18th at the Belfry was poor manners, and I think there may have been some poor behaviour at Kiawah Island and Brookline, but I was not there. I cringe at some of the idiotic shouting on both sides. The passion is wonderful, but there is a line .

I know gamesmanship is an integral part of the Ryder Cup, and even some of our golf matches, but maybe there should be an understanding that "in the leather" or some other measurement is gimmee territory. That or everything gets putted out.
Just a thought. However, I actually enjoy watching the horseplay and shenanigans that go on every two years!

Scott Hoch showed you can not lay down rules on what putts are given

Lots of great suggestions. I would like to see a body completely independent set up the course rather than the home team in order to get the matches close. I heard on Golf Central that the last 4 RC’s have been blow outs and prefer to see a tight battle to very end.

Also dump NBC and homer announcers, etc. coverage wasn’t the best and “Live from” on Golf Channel needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

Finally, would lie to see all players play in foresomes and foball on Day 1/2. I think you wouldn’t be able to “hide” some players although I understand it does give an opportunity to rest a player not feeling 100%, for whatever reason.

The TV coverage of golf in the USA is far inferior to what we are used to in UK on Sky Sports.

USA has two problems.

1. Too many adverts.
2. Ex Pros who are more interested in telling you how good they were , instead of ex pros who want to tell you how good the current players are. Sam Torrance is very good at telling you what a great chip that was, Azinger wants to tell you how he did it better.

The TV coverage of golf in the USA is far inferior to what we are used to in UK on Sky Sports.

USA has two problems.

1. Too many adverts.
2. Ex Pros who are more interested in telling you how good they were , instead of ex pros who want to tell you how good the current players are. Sam Torrance is very good at telling you what a great chip that was, Azinger wants to tell you how he did it better.

Its the main reason why I hardly watch any golf these days.

The matches themselves I wouldn't change anything. I would find a way to have better coverage and a way to follow whatever group you wanted live. I get commercials are necessary, but the lack of coverage made me almost turn it off.

The Sky coverage in the UK is very good.
Yep. Here, it’s shite. Commentary is awful and cameras only follow a couple of groups. You see very little golf played over here compared to back home. Not helped by the fact that Paul Azinger features heavily, who I wouldn’t piss on if he was fire!

I am not sure I would change anything. The broadcast maybe. But the actual event is solid.

I'm going to say it. Fox would nail the RC coverage.

I'm going to say it. Fox would nail the RC coverage.
They'd be better than NBC for sure. But, Wayne and Garth on the local public access channel in Aurora would be better than NBC.

What happens when we change sports? 7 inning games in double headers and a runner at 2nd in extra innings. Both garbage. Leave the event alone and enjoy the contest.

The only good change I could think of is the college football overtime rules.

I honestly think the Ryder Cup is about as perfect as a team competition in an individual sport can be.

I love that the crowd is into it. I like that it is relatively hostile. As long doesn't go over the line.

The every other year is perfect. Any longer and it turns into the olympics.

I love that it is a team competition but ends with a final day of individual matches.

I might mess around with a different team set up in the first two days. But all in all it is a pretty solid comp.

They'd be better than NBC for sure. But, Wayne and Garth on the local public access channel in Aurora would be better than NBC.

I had issues with NBC's coverage. Anything sports related with Mike Tirico is an automatic mute for me. But, I do enjoy listening to Bones and Feherty. Not questioning your opinion about the coverage, but how do you think it could be improved? My viewing was limited to NBC and the Golf Channel (broadcast and online)

The advertising and commercials, while annoying, can't be eliminated. Otherwise there is no television broadcast.

I had issues with NBC's coverage. Anything sports related with Mike Tirico is an automatic mute for me. But, I do enjoy listening to Bones and Feherty. Not questioning your opinion about the coverage, but how do you think it could be improved? My viewing was limited to NBC and the Golf Channel (broadcast and online)

The advertising and commercials, while annoying, can't be eliminated. Otherwise there is no television broadcast.
How to improve it? More golf not just 3 or 4 groups when say 12 are on the course. That can be done while serving the ad dollar master. It just takes some creativity and innovation. And not having the same 2 ad spots on repeat ad nauseum. Also, better announcers. Tirico, Azinger, and several others make it nearly unwatchable. Bones and John Wood were very good. I've been beyond my Feherty saturation point for a while. I've heard all of his stories numerous times and can damned near finish them all for him. He isn't close to the worst offender on NBC's golf team.

Another vote for the television coverage. It's brutal with the commercials and decision making on what they are showing vs what they are not.

What are people's thoughts on having an independent body do the course setup rather than the home team? With the home crowd advantage plus control of the course setup seems like a lot to potentially overcome for the visiting team.

How to improve it? More golf not just 3 or 4 groups when say 12 are on the course. That can be done while serving the ad dollar master. It just takes some creativity and innovation. And not having the same 2 ad spots on repeat ad nauseum. Also, better announcers. Tirico, Azinger, and several others make it nearly unwatchable. Bones and John Wood were very good. I've been beyond my Feherty saturation point for a while. I've heard all of his stories numerous times and can damned near finish them all for him. He isn't close to the worst offender on NBC's golf team.

It's obvious that many here had legitimate issues with NBC's coverage. I am just curious in finding out the specifics other than the coverage was not good. I think NBC/Golf Channel could have shown more golf. And I don't necessarily mean fewer commercials. I think that they could have shown more live action (with such few players on the course you would think they could show more golf). I think there was too much focus on certain players and pairings that the other players and pairings were ignored or relegated to a secondary role in the broadcast.

And I said Tirco is an automatic mute for me. Doesn't matter if it's the Olympics, Golf, Notre Dame football or the NFL, I can't listen to him. I'm not a big Azinger fan either.

Back