Review Indi Putters - THP Review In Progress Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Some discussion has been going on between @JB and myself on these in the announcement thread we have here on THP but I've been waiting to start a clean review in progress thread until after I got some pictures taken.

Indi Golf is known here, and most elsewhere, for their OG Indi Stingray wedges where were non-conforming and then followed by conforming versions as well as their newer Scoopback wedges, all of which our very own @ddec has worked with so be sure to check out the homepage articles and subsequent forum threads on those if you are curious. I'll admit I always just assumed they would stay in the wedge lane as they're making a niche product they were trying to broaden the horizons on while also cutting absolutely no corners in terms of production and material qualities. So, when I heard they were getting into putters I had two thoughts, the first was why, and the second was that at least I knew the quality would be top notch.

The new putter line consists of two headshapes, the Ramone, a uniquely shaped blade style putter available in an plumbers neck option, and the Allison, a unique full mallet design available in slant neck and double-bend options. Additionally, both shapes are being offered in matte black and satin chrome.

For this review, Indi was kind enough to send in both models for a closer look and thorough work over. I received from THP HQ the Allison double-bend in satin chrome and the Ramone in matte black, both at 34" and paired with a Lamkin Deep Etched putter grip (a freaking classic). Worth mentioning now, they do offer a lot of grip options through their website, which is nice to see.

The big things going on here are both models are made of aircraft grade aluminum and in hand the milling is pretty exquisite I must say. They've then upped the MOI by utilizing tungsten weights that instead of blending in are allowed to contrast the body of the head on both the toe and heel of the putters. The Ramone is a throwback of sorts coming in at 340g and the Allison at 350g, both honestly lighter than most of what we are seeing on the market now.

The niche here, if you will, is what Indi is branding as their "Colossal Sweet Spot" in reference to the MOI being so significant that misses across the putter face retain their direction and pace more significantly than non similarly weighted putters. Its not a new concept and we have seen others go this way, and, it typically works. The branding on this is pretty in your face, with a section on the sole of both putters displaying this verbiage.

The face milling is a slick cross-hatch that in the right light blends into what looks like an X on the face itself, pretty slick. Additionally, the Ramone offers a 45* toe hang, the Allison Slant 35*, and the Allison Double Bend is face-balanced.

In hand pics are below, and I'll be updating thoughts and moving some from the other thread into here soon.

DSC01228-XL.jpg

DSC01222-XL.jpg

DSC01220-XL.jpg

DSC01229-XL.jpg

DSC01231-XL.jpg

DSC01232-XL.jpg

DSC01234-XL.jpg

DSC01237-XL.jpg

DSC01205-XL.jpg

DSC01206-XL.jpg

DSC01207-2-XL.jpg

DSC01208-XL.jpg

DSC01211-XL.jpg

DSC01213-XL.jpg

DSC01215-XL.jpg

DSC01217-XL.jpg

• Staff
Adding in, yes, the price point on these is $449.99, which has been and will undoubtedly be a big talking point on them. I look forward to that convo continuing, but, I will add they constantly offer discounts on their website (15% right now) which makes a pretty significant dent in that price.

Fantastic photos sir, they look phenomenal although I think I’d lean towards the Ramone on aesthetics.

Looking forward to checking out the full review!

Fantastic pics my man. Finishes look pretty darn good to my eye.

• Staff
Fantastic photos sir, they look phenomenal although I think I’d lean towards the Ramone on aesthetics.

Looking forward to checking out the full review!
I think the black finish just makes the Ramone look a lot more pleasing TBH, I'd like to see the Allison in hand in that finish.

• Staff
Fantastic pics my man. Finishes look pretty darn good to my eye.
Photographing satin chrome takes years off my life, and makes me say a lot of dirty words.

Photographing satin chrome takes years off my life, and makes me say a lot of dirty words.

Chrome and shiney crowns haha

I looked good though. How is that finish in the sun?

• Staff
Chrome and shiney crowns haha

I looked good though. How is that finish in the sun?
It’s got a little more feedback to it than I think I’d prefer, it’s not bad, but I think the size of the mallet shape exaggerates it a little more glare wise than it would the finish on the Ramone.

The black finish is perfection. Better than most OEM black finishes to be honest.

I was sort of intrigued by the design of these, but you lost me at aluminum.

Is it a feel thing?

Do you think people hear aluminum and think cheap?

I was sort of intrigued by the design of these, but you lost me at aluminum.
I have rolled a LOT of aluminum putters, and hated them, purely for the sound/feel more than anything. Typically springy and a little sharp, I mean it when I say there is none of that here. Rotating through from milled SS and CS putters into these there is nothing abstract in terms of change, similar dense feedback. Its legitimately surprised me.

Is it a feel thing?

Do you think people hear aluminum and think cheap?
It's generally a feel thing for me. I've never played a solid block aluminum putter, only those with inserts, but the inserts don't seem to respond the way I like.

Bump ?

The look of that Allison from top reminds me of the Carbite Polar balanced putters from the 90's. Put that face looks beautiful

So, in an effort to get conversation going here....

What are your thoughts or concerns now having seen the in hand pics I took?

Feelings on the shapes? Finishes? Milling? Weight?

I feel like if it were more of a known brand, they would be quite popular.
The shapes look good. The Color scheme on the Black looks pretty awesome. Probably just an optical illusion thing, but the milling on the Ramone almost looks like a different shape than on the Allison.
Overall, from the pictures, the Allison looks almost like an unfinished project to me.

I feel like things I don't like, mainly the association with a brand that put out non-conforming stuff on purpose, would probably keep me away.
Also not a big fan of putter brands that give human names to their putters...... looking at you YES golf.

I feel like if it were more of a known brand, they would be quite popular.
The shapes look good. The Color scheme on the Black looks pretty awesome. Probably just an optical illusion thing, but the milling on the Ramone almost looks like a different shape than on the Allison.
Overall, from the pictures, the Allison looks almost like an unfinished project to me.

I feel like things I don't like, mainly the association with a brand that put out non-conforming stuff on purpose, would probably keep me away.
Also not a big fan of putter brands that give human names to their putters...... looking at you YES golf.
Honest Q, why is the brand a turnoff? They were super honest about the non conforming release and never hid anything. And they even produce the same clubs in conforming versions.

Genuinely curious why that aspect would be deemed a turnoff?

There's parts I like but to whole thing doesn't quite come together.

Not shapes I would gravitate towards but that black one looks pretty cool.
I wouldnt rule out buying one if I tried it and the performance was there.
I guess the 2nd hand value would be a challenge, in case you decided to move on at some stage.
Do they feel good? I like putters that have a bit of sound to them.

Not shapes I would gravitate towards but that black one looks pretty cool.
I wouldnt rule out buying one if I tried it and the performance was there.
I guess the 2nd hand value would be a challenge, in case you decided to move on at some stage.
Do they feel good? I like putters that have a bit of sound to them.
Im going to move some thoughts over from the other thread and add in here after I get out for me putting practice with my HS kids today, but they sound/feel like a milled putter.

I guess the resale thing is true, but I’m one who believes if you’re looking at golf clubs as a resale or investment return type thing, you’re barking up the wrong tree, or you’re not giving yourself the opportunity to truly try everything and see what’s best for your game rather than something you can flip later.

The stuff that doesn't matter to performance, the name, the busy logos, the text of the logos, the name. I don't like any of it. That's a personal thing but would alone be a nearly an impossible hurdle at that price.

I like the overall shapes. I really like the visible weighting on the ends. The shaping and details seem like a beta version, again that's more the industrial look they are going for I think. I'm curious on the size because there isn't a size reference, but I feel like they are pretty big.

The stuff that doesn't matter to performance, the name, the busy logos, the text of the logos, the name. I don't like any of it. That's a personal thing but would alone be a nearly an impossible hurdle at that price.

I like the overall shapes. I really like the visible weighting on the ends. The shaping and details seem like a beta version, again that's more the industrial look they are going for I think. I'm curious on the size because there isn't a size reference, but I feel like they are pretty big.
They’re standard putter sizes, that’s why I took no reference pics.

I like the looks of the Allison head shape. Would definitely prefer it in the black finish though. That price point for an unknown quantity though...

Back