Iron Shafts: Why don’t you go graphite?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Is it price? Availability? Old preconceived notions?

This is a topic that really truly has my curiosity.

Is it price? Availability? Old preconceived notions?

This is a topic that really truly has my curiosity.
From the last time I was fit, steel just fit better. But if it fits, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Played graphite before, got fit into steel. I am more than game to play graphite in my next set if that what fits best.

Already 14/14 graphite. Never going back

Price is part of it. I’d really like to explore it more once I get fitted again. Last time the fitter didn’t really have any options that worked for me

I was fit into all LA Golf shafts at Club Champion. The price was nauseating so we tried another option and I was fit into steel. At the Grandaddy we started with those same steel shafts and the numbers were ideal. Haven’t looked back.

I played Steelfiber i95's in my previous irons and in my most recent fitting they spun off the planet. Modus3 130 gave me ideal spin and dispersion and I actually hit the ball further. Haven't looked back and haven't had joint issues or anything.

Now, I'm not against composite shafts if they fit. But I also won't lie, price is a factor. The better composite shafts still cost a lot more than steel, so the performance bump better be big and it better be obvious.

I'm all in on graphite, since I began getting arthritic flair ups in my hands. Also, with graphite being much MUCH better than the old OEM no-name graphite offered in the last 90s early 00s. That stuff was nasty, and way too light.

I would like to give Graphite a try but I don’t think one fitting is enough of a sample size.

I’ve considered picking something up and a similar profile to what I play in steel and see how it goes.

I switched in 2014 and wouldn’t go back. It’s even more relevant now, because I’m not getting any younger.

Price is a big thing though and I suspect it only gets worse.

I have not been comfortable with the feel of the graphite shafts I have tried. I’m not opposed to graphite, I just haven’t found the right one yet.

I tried going composite with the Steelfiber but I hate them. Trying to decide whether to get some recoil 110 or MMT95 (maybe 105?) or wait for the Dart 105? Or do I just get some tried and true Modus120?

Nothing has been better in fittings. I have tried multiple and numbers were better with steel. I want to try the Darts that are planned for next year.

I just never have. This was on my plan for 2022, but delayed because of the GD.

I asked the fitter to throw some graphite options at me if he thought it would benefit me at all. Didn't swing one- so in steel I stay. 🤷‍♂️

I just don't like the feel. I would go steel in driver before graphite in my irons.

Currently it's cost, when I save up enough I'll be getting the hybrid steelfibers and new iron heads but it's a costly adventure.

I just made the switch to graphite. When I started playing again last year, my last experience with graphite was in 2013 and it wasn't great. I think it was a set of Taylormade irons that I demoed with graphite and they felt really whippy and I couldn't hit them straight to save my life. So when I started back playing, I just went straight to steel. I had no idea how much graphite had improved. Now I'm playing Recoil 95s and my hands and wrists aren't killing me after every round!

Steel looks cooler, I have graphite, but I'm not cool.

I have graphite in every club now. Don’t know if I will ever go back to steel?

Generally it was because of weight. I guess some companies are making heavier graphite shafts but I just haven't tried any.

I've never been fit. I've played steel shafts forever and I need to get fit. I'm sure graphite would work well for me, but haven't been willing to pull the trigger and spend the money.

Had graphite, and had more material damage than I’d expect. It was as if the prepreg or ion finish was splitting and separating. Happened to 2 or 3 irons, and that will sadly be the end of my graphite in irons for the time being.

I had played graphite on and off, and my last 2 sets were graphite due to tennis elbow issues. I moved back into steel with my current set and have found them to be more consistent overall when it comes to dispersion, possibly due to the weight difference. I have not been fitted in a number of years now, and when I was fit last it was into steel. I would gladly go back to graphite if the opportunity came up.

my most recent purchase is a good example. I bought a set of wilson D9 forged in stock stiff steel. No place in my area that I've found with both Wilson irons and demo shafts so a stock purchase was about my only option on that iron. I thought I'd go try out differnt shafts but I'm hitting the stock DG105 VSS pretty well and vibration is reasonable. a 100g graphite shaft might feel even better but determination of that is part guess, much effort, and much $. So I have effectively kicked the graphite idea down the road for another 3 to 5 years.

Back