Iron Shafts: Why don’t you go graphite?

What about Winn grips or something along those lines?

What about Winn grips or something along those lines?
Grips are more of a fine adjustment. It helps, just not as much in my case. Soft, hard, midsize, and oversized didn’t really change much other than they hurt a little less. I like to joke that my body is twice as old as my age. I can get away with steel but the reality is I’m not giving up anything other than a few extra bucks by going graphite and it’s easier on my body.

Why don't I currently have graphite in my irons?

Fitted for steel, steel was easily available as the stock option (think start of covid where there was no stock).

Do I want back into graphite? Definitely. But I need a proper fitting with them. The past two times, with a couple Recoil setups, and most recently Aldila Rogue graphite irons, was a crapshoot. I want a fit setup that outperforms to make the switch.

For me it’s priced based. I play really well with my current steel shafts. Spending 70-80 a shaft on something I don’t know if I will like is not something I really want to do. Also not a ton out there yet, in the weight category I’ve been fit for. So until I can find some cheap enough I’ll have to stick with my steel shafts with prosoft inserts

Again to all those saying steel is stiffer, graphite is for ladies and seniors…pretty sure you arent this fast:

Todays graphite is a totally different animal and can fit ANYONE…

Opportunity via THP and pain in my elbow. I have never looked back. For me, they have performed fantastically and help me play more enjoyable golf.

I switched to graphite in my last set with no issues. I like the feel and will be trying my next set of wedges in graphite also.

What do you think about heavier weight graphite? Like 120-125 gram shafts? For stronger swingers?

Two things there:

1) Generally heavy weight graphite dampens all the feel out of the club. Good if you have concerns about vibration causing pain, not great if you want to know where on the face you hit the ball. Generally better players who prefer those weight shafts like to get feedback on their shots.

2) The more prepreg, the more opportunities for inconsistent material modulus from shaft to shaft. 120gr of steel in your three iron will have the same modulus as the 120 gr in your 4 iron. In graphite depending on the day, your 3 iron may have higher modulus materials than the 4 iron and therefore requires more sanding to get it to spec. More opportunities for inconsistencies and more likely that if the next time you buy a set with the same shaft model, the shaft doesn't preform the same.

Some interesting feedback from Don in here... Making me second guess my choices. :LOL:

I went graphite (again) last season after having some elbow pain again and have been happy with the results. I tied my lowest hdcp this year playing them, and have moved to the same in my wedges. No intention of looking back right now, but never say never.

Been fit into steel the last 2 times. I would try graphite mainly for the vibration dampening, but I use 120gr. X-shafts, not to many options at that end of the weight scale.

Two things there:

1) Generally heavy weight graphite dampens all the feel out of the club. Good if you have concerns about vibration causing pain, not great if you want to know where on the face you hit the ball. Generally better players who prefer those weight shafts like to get feedback on their shots.

2) The more prepreg, the more opportunities for inconsistent material modulus from shaft to shaft. 120gr of steel in your three iron will have the same modulus as the 120 gr in your 4 iron. In graphite depending on the day, your 3 iron may have higher modulus materials than the 4 iron and therefore requires more sanding to get it to spec. More opportunities for inconsistencies and more likely that if the next time you buy a set with the same shaft model, the shaft doesn't preform the same.

Very interesting stuff. Thank you.

I do enjoy graphite. But I would love to see some kind of scientific test done in comparison between steel and graphite. I am not even sure how you would conduct a test or what you would test or with who.. but I want a test . Lol
I would contend the only legitimate scientific study on this has been done—a comprehensive fitting. Those results indicate for some swings a steel shaft wins and for other swings the graphite shafts prevail.

I think I was always scared I’d break them honestly. But I’m now thinking with the way my hands are hurting from arthritis and my elbows from tendinitis that I’ll be going Recoil 125 Proto F5 in my irons and 50*. My 56 and 60 will have their wedge shaft.

I think I might actually go LA golf. The orange is my MP20 MMC with X100.

3A54F3E4-39C2-47EB-96E9-90F7FA9E29A1.jpeg4D84CCF7-7A19-428E-8D9D-99F9A14C2C0C.jpegA862A684-F9AF-4C87-8F9B-69014BC80E02.jpeg7BED62E1-B444-4B3E-B61C-A2B10519E14E.jpeg10378BBD-77E8-417E-AE31-5D0155067329.jpeg

My new irons are graphite. This will be my third set in graphite.

The new under embargo "stock" graphite shafts for the :callaway: irons worked really well for me in S flex.

I've previously always played R.

There's probably graphite out there to fit almost anyone. Go with what you love.

I still want to try Recoil 125. Mr @DannyLe, what you think sir?

Is it price? Availability? Old preconceived notions?

This is a topic that really truly has my curiosity.
Interesting, I went graphite this year and love it. Just hit some project X5.5 not long ago on the monitor with a friend and my trajectory was lower or what I would call more penetrating I guess. distance gained about four or 5 yards. Equipment was close both Callaway Alex pro.
So far I plan to stay with graphite. But it was pretty interesting to see and I feel so much better after playing with graphite

I may be going graphite soon. I have been fighting a 2* open club face (Mavrik irons Elevate 95 shafts) and just haven't been able to fix it without over correcting. Yesterday I grabbed my OLD TE Bazooka 6i with graphite 80g shaft and immediately started swinging easier and closing the face to within .5*. I don't know the swing weight of the Bazookas but clearly more testing and another fitting is in the near future.

I hit 35 or so shots with a steel shaft yesterday and feeling it in my hands this morning. It really makes me appreciate my graphite shafts.

After yesterdays found in the cold I think I may be pulling my Recoil Protos and putting them in my irons. The vibration alone had the arms exhausted.

I'm interested in going graphite, but my main hangups are:
1) price
2) I don't know which ones to get
3) I'm not seeing any performance issues with steel at the moment

Back