Iron Shafts: Why don’t you go graphite?

Small sample - KBS tour $35 -- Steelfiber $60-$63 - not much to worry about when guys are buying $700 drivers and $450 Putters.

Love my recoil Darts, not retreating at all

So glad I switched back to graphite by getting Recoil DART 105 F4 in my 2024 Apex Pros

Need to find a set that is heavier, low launch and xstiff.. current steels are 132g.

I actually just got fit into graphite shafts for the first time. I’m going to trust the fitter. I was surprised but the numbers backed him up.

Need to find a set that is heavier, low launch and xstiff.. current steels are 132g.
I was an x100 guy for a long time and doing a graphite shaft build right now. I’m doing mmt125 tx because they are supposed to be modeled after the x100 profile.

After reading all the reviews here I do kinda wish I had learned about the dart v 120 before I bought the MMTs.

I will likely go back to graphite on weeks that I play more than 2 rounds. I like my setup but really liked the graphite as well

I played graphite in irons for, I'd guess, 5 or 6 years. Never intended to go back to steel, but I wanted the JPX-923 Pros very early last year and didn't want to wait on an order considering supply chain issues. They were readily available in steel.

Ripped off the stock grips, installed Sting Stopper inserts (ProSoft insert knockoff, only longer), and played on.

I'm sold on the JPX-923 Pro irons. And I'm OK with the steel shafts currently. But I do miss the feel of Steelfiber. If/when the arthritis in my hands worsens, I'll make the switch. But for now? All's good.

I've tried both not sure what's best except Nickent Hybrid graphite irons I've used were rated at 85+ mph swing speed which suited me best, now I'm 73 y/o I'm using Ping 👁️ 2 irons with steel shafts which seem ok but not playing just practice. I had Titleist steel and graphite with T200 irons and didn't like either 2 years ago and my Nickent graphite irons were just as good if not better feel for me ...

I've been off and on for graphite the past 4 years. I always end up back in steel bc there are more profiles and options to choose from that end up fitting me better.

Currently trying out the KBS TGI 110 and they're showing early promise. Easy to swing, 15g lighter, and plenty stiff

I stuck with steel in my TW irons because it just wasn’t right to put graphite in them. Plus, I’m fine with steel. That being said, if I were to get a new set of different irons, I’d look to get graphite just for the dampening benefits on my joints. Plus it’s a lot less $$ to buy clubs with them than to later on buy a set of graphite shafts

Graphite is just as stable as steel. People that come to our place just have no idea about graphite ( or usually anything Golf related). But, our problem is the lack of brands we carry. Oems are still not up to speed with making more brands and weights available. They still seem to cater to slow swinging seniors yet they want everyone to use them.

Haven't went and truly tried them out, I think I would of dabbled in it at The Grandaddy but I didnt want to waste much time trying to find the right graphite shaft for the irons. So right now it is price and not knowing which ones to get.

Will never have steel shafts again and going to matching Dart V graphite in the wedges has been a great change.

But why the weight? Just because of history?

And that’s the problem more than price👍
I would agree. The upcharges aren’t terrible but the options are so limited. Particularly for higher SS players

Is it price? Availability? Old preconceived notions?

This is a topic that really truly has my curiosity.
have made the switch...currently gaming the Dart V Concept shafts in 105, and LOVE them!!!!

The Taylormade MC iron set I have that I’m selling for $999 has MMT 125s graphite. It was a good deal when I bought them new that way. If I tried to buy the shafts later and do it it would be cost prohibitive.

I have happilly played two different graphite shafts in my irons. For a couple of years I played recoil 110 F5. I bought those after asking some questions to UST mamiya during one of the experience live threads. Those had a notable active feel, and served me well. A few years later, I was fit into steelfiber i95s. I also play steelfiber i110s in my wedges. The steelfiber shafts are more neutral and precise in my hands.

Overall I don't see any reason to change back to steel. My 7i SS is right around 90 and bumps up to 92 when I'm loose and pain free.

My next set will definitely be graphite. Looking at Recoil 95's or similiar. I'm thinking Darkspeeds combined with a mid-high launching shafts would be fun!

But why the weight? Just because of history?
Yes…. History is part of it. Others feel so light that I don’t feel I can control the swing. But I’m sure there’s other reasons around that.

Back