Is Barry Bonds a HOF'er

Should Barry Bonds be elected into the Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 103 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • Unsure/Show Results

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters
I disagree. Just because testing at the time was not made public doesn't mean he didn't test positive. Here is a direct quote from the case: "“We had DNA evidence in the Clemens case, with Clemens’ DNA and an anabolic steroid within a needle that was used to inject him," “And contrary to Bonds’ defense narrative, his use of PEDs was more than rubbing on ‘The Cream’ and taking a few drops of ‘The Clear’ under his tongue. The BALCO and MLB testing records reflected Bonds’ use of multiple doping substances, from 2001 through 2006, including injectable anabolic steroids, injectable human growth hormone, post cycle therapy drugs and amphetamines.”

I am not saying he was not dirty. But there were plenty of other positives at that time. Nothing ever came out about him. But the fact remains that I dont really care. he should be in.

Pete Rose 100% should be in. How do you take away what he did as a player after he had retired??

I am not saying he was not dirty. But there were plenty of other positives at that time. Nothing ever came out about him. But the fact remains that I dont really care. he should be in.

Pete Rose 100% should be in. How do you take away what he did as a player after he had retired??
I think you're correct. I really feel that there is a lot of hypocrisy in MLB. I think eventually Rose will be in, Bonds and Clemens will be in. I just can't believe that at the time, they were virtually alone. But they were the big names. Heck I also believe what happened to Shoeless Joe Jackson was not right.

If he isn’t a HOF member then we have to exclude an entire generation of baseball because no one knows who was clean and who wasn’t.

I think you're correct. I really feel that there is a lot of hypocrisy in MLB. I think eventually Rose will be in, Bonds and Clemens will be in. I just can't believe that at the time, they were virtually alone. But they were the big names. Heck I also believe what happened to Shoeless Joe Jackson was not right.

Exactly. There are few things in live that irritate me more than senseless double standards.

If he isn’t a HOF member then we have to exclude an entire generation of baseball because no one knows who was clean and who wasn’t.

I have to disagree. While many many players during this time period were "juicing", you just can't group everyone that is known to have used the performance enhancement products and those that have never been associated with them. Ken Griffey Jr was never once thought of as using. Same goes for Mike Piazza, they both were inducted into the HOF. They both played naturally during the same time period.

ESPN's Jeff Passan recently wrote an article supporting Bonds being elected. In the article he stated the following:

It's difficult to pinpoint what's most frustrating. Perhaps it's that there already are players in the Hall accused of using PEDs. Or that the commissioner whose tenure encompassed the entirety of the steroid era, Bud Selig, is himself enshrined. Or that generations of players before Bonds, including manifold Hall of Famers, popped amphetamines as part of their pregame routine. Or that others honored with bronze renderings include multiple racists, domestic abusers and even a player who last year resigned from the hall's board of directors after a woman levied credible sexual misconduct allegations.

Rose in because of talent alone. Juicers no because we don't know when or how much the talent was affected.

I'd 100% vote for him. He was one of the best if not the most dominant player in his era. To me it's a no-brainer. IF we didn't have that era, baseball would have suffered much longer from the lockout and strike than it did. That era brought baseball back.

I mean he was intentionally walked with the bases loaded!

I have to disagree. While many many players during this time period were "juicing", you just can't group everyone that is known to have used the performance enhancement products and those that have never been associated with them. Ken Griffey Jr was never once thought of as using. Same goes for Mike Piazza, they both were inducted into the HOF. They both played naturally during the same time period.
Yet we aren't sure of that. Griff was a sensation and had probably the greatest swing of all-time - but can we say 100% that he didn't try it even once? Nope I don't think I could stand on that hill and say he never did. Because that whole era is full of doubt.

Yet we aren't sure of that. Griff was a sensation and had probably the greatest swing of all-time - but can we say 100% that he didn't try it even once? Nope I don't think I could stand on that hill and say he never did. Because that whole era is full of doubt.

Only Griffey knows for sure, but I will not condemn someone that has never even been considered versus a person that has come out and said yes they did it.

The results for the 2022 MLB Hall of Fame class is announced tonight (1/25). This is Barry Bond's final year on the ballot and his last chance to get elected into the HOF. What would you Vote for Bonds?
I say yes because he was HOF worthy for what he did for the Pirates.

I think Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, ARod, McGuire, et al, should be in, but none of them should get in if Joe Jackson doesn't get in.

Only Griffey knows for sure, but I will not condemn someone that has never even been considered versus a person that has come out and said yes they did it.
I agree - but if I was asked if I was sure.... no one at that time is sure. (Grif was HOF the day he walked on the MLB field - it was in his genes. - I loved that guy growing up!)

The answer is yes because while Barry was juiced out of his gourd, so were the pitchers.

Just assume that every player from 1989 till now is probably on something that we would be upset about and call it a day.

I guess it must need to be so since Paige Spiranac says so on Twitter!

His head is just too big. No.

I use to go to lots of games. Had season tix but sold many as it was 100 miles to Yankee stadium. But here's just one fore instance. Went to a game and Pudge was catcher for Detroit. His legs were busting out of his uniform. They were just enormous. Year before they weren't. I don't care what anybody says. MO is he juiced. And there are many stories like that.
Bud Selig was a freeking weasle. Everybody knew what was going on but as Baseball had painted themselves into a corner and the fans were PO'd and running for the exit...Ole Bud let it all slide. And many/the majority realizing performance meant bigger contracts and MLB was looking the other way...Juiced.
The HOF is a joke.

Yes and so is McGwire & Clemens. They produced some of the most exciting baseball ever. As a baseball player for most of my life who never used them, steroids don't help you hit the baseball. They may help you hit it a little further or throw it a little faster but they still had to put in the work. And I'm sure they help with recovery from playing 182 games.
How do you know that they don’t help if you never used them?

I use to go to lots of games. Had season tix but sold many as it was 100 miles to Yankee stadium. But here's just one fore instance. Went to a game and Pudge was catcher for Detroit. His legs were busting out of his uniform. They were just enormous. Year before they weren't. I don't care what anybody says. MO is he juiced. And there are many stories like that.
Bud Selig was a freeking weasle. Everybody knew what was going on but as Baseball had painted themselves into a corner and the fans were PO'd and running for the exit...Ole Bud let it all slide. And many/the majority realizing performance meant bigger contracts and MLB was looking the other way...Juiced.
The HOF is a joke.
Bud Selig is in the Hall of Fame

Back