Is Bryson exploiting OEM trends?

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
An interesting theme is emerging on social media that Bryson DeChambeau found a way to exploit equipment trends from OEMs by adding a bunch of weight onto his frame to maximize performance from equipment built to hit the ball far.

When I first heard this, I was like, "No duh; if you get stronger, you're going to hit the ball farther!"

But this also suggests that Bryson is reacting to the design of equipment as opposed to buying equipment that best fits his original body type. This difference seems trivial, but it's a distinct shift in focus.

I think it's more simple than that.

Bryson saw the clear & direct relationship between driving distance and money winners and said, "Bryson gonna hit ball far!".

OEMs, equipment, course setups, the ball...they all contribute to this.

I think it's more simple than that.

Bryson saw the clear & direct relationship between driving distance and money winners and said, "Bryson gonna hit ball far!".

OEMs, equipment, course setups, the ball...they all contribute to this.

That's very true. I'm wondering if this also suggests the focus of professional golf has shifted too far toward a specific trend. The game has changed considerably, much like how professional basketball has shifted to more three-point shots.

An interesting theme is emerging on social media that Bryson DeChambeau found a way to exploit equipment trends from OEMs by adding a bunch of weight onto his frame to maximize performance from equipment built to hit the ball far.

When I first heard this, I was like, "No duh; if you get stronger, you're going to hit the ball farther!"

But this also suggests that Bryson is reacting to the design of equipment as opposed to buying equipment that best fits his original body type. This difference seems trivial, but it's a distinct shift in focus.
Wait, what? I don’t follow any of the logic of this - bigger, stronger body will always deliver more than not regardless of equipment.

There is nothing wrong or unusual that athletes are bigger and stronger today compared to 30 years ago whether it’s the NFL, NBA, or the PGA Tour. One of my motivations for hitting the gym 3-4 days each week is to hit the golf ball farther and at age 55 I’ve watched all of my buddies get shorter while I’ve lost little or no distance compared to 20 years ago(obviously equipment/ball has helped me with that). I applaud Bryson for getting stronger and a lot longer. Most PGA golfers who chase more yardage wind up having a setback or big decline in their scoring. He’s a very smart guy who figured out how to hit it farther and still maintain the accuracy, a very difficult thing for any of us to do.

Last edited:
i'm still not understanding this. Bryson himself admitted he is having to pursue very different, nonstandard equipment setups to accommodate his new speed/delivery conditions. a 5.5* driver and 10* 3-wood are not indications of the modern equipment being designed to benefit faster speeds.

rory mcilroy, Justin Thomas, matthew wolfe, cam champ, these are not guys who weigh 250 lbs and bulked up to that point in order to hit it over 300y on the reg. you don't have to be baby huey to hit it far.

I see no problem with him reacting to equipment design to maximize its, and his, potential. As long as everything is done within the framework of the rules and laws, that is just brilliance on his part rather than just settling by fitting to his previous state.

An interesting thought, as calculating as Bryson is, maybe he is doing it on purpose.

The insinuation is that Bryson somehow found a "loophole" to exploit in equipment. Due to a "lack of consistent regulation in how clubs are designed."

For the record, I don't buy this argument, but figured I'd raise the question.

That's very true. I'm wondering if this also suggests the focus of professional golf has shifted too far toward a specific trend. The game has changed considerably, much like how professional basketball has shifted to more three-point shots.

You could be right. I guess my follow up thought is. "Is that a good or bad thing"? It was absolutely entertaining to watch Bryson play this week.

People who wish to be thin, weak, and frail should have bigger worries than if their fairway wood is best suited to their body type.

It's very "golfer" to find a fault in getting stronger. It is even more "golfer" to find a reason to stay thin and weak.

More people, golfers specifically, need to squat/deadlift/press more.

Lack of consistent regulation in club design? What does this mean?

Non standard grooves? Different MOI? Different head size? I though all clubs had to conform to tour standards if they were to be used in competition... how is this not consistent?

Or does that mean more variation in club shafts and not club head design?

The premise makes no sense to me at all. It suggests that getting bigger and stronger is somehow seeking a loophole. Every professional athlete should be seeking a conditioning level that will allow him/her to maximize performance. Further, becoming faster and stronger would have improved performance prior to the advancement of golf equipment technology.

He looks like he is severely constipated when he swings. As far as gear, he does pretty well.

I don't think he is exploiting anything. He wants to average 340 yards carry distance and is doing what he thinks he should do to reach that goal...and going about it in a very scientific way.

Whoever wrote that article doesn't know what they're talking about. Bryson is leveraging probability. Every strokes gained statistic shows that hitting it farther subtracts strokes. He already made a very simple one plane swing to hit it as strait as possible. His swing is simple so adding bulk for swing speed is easy for him because his swing does not depend on timing. Now he can just pump up the speed and smash the ball. He is going to be in a lot of top 20's and win his fair share of tournaments. A good thorough understanding of probability would drastically help the average golfer with course management. Bryson has gone all in on the math and left the feel and touch game laying off to the side.

For all the heat that he caught trying to custom build his sets prior to the Popeye stage, I'd argue that he was already maxing out potential, but he was definitely capped.

This strange 'bulk up and swing like a lunatic' is more a testament to his swing path, and the clubs he's using from a forgiveness standpoint.

He found a loophole in the equipment? I'm so confused. Guy bulked up and wants to hulk smash every drive so what? It may work for him but there are smaller guys out there smashing the ball too. What loophole is he exploiting?

The insinuation is that Bryson somehow found a "loophole" to exploit in equipment. Due to a "lack of consistent regulation in how clubs are designed."

For the record, I don't buy this argument, but figured I'd raise the question.
I do not really believe so called loop hole that is referred to. Many smaller guys on tour can get the ball out there. It was impressive though watching Bryson have so many wedges into greens. He definitely was bombing them!

I guess, if you consider using things such as graphite/composite shafts in every club, or single length, or some of the stiffest shafts on the planet a loophole. But I mean, everyone can play those right??

short answer, no. he is doing what he feels will get him the results he wants. like @MarMill8412 said above, how many times did he have less than 120yds on his approach/2nd shots? and as much as his putting could've been better, I thought it was better than his last couple of outings.

People who wish to be thin, weak, and frail should have bigger worries than if their fairway wood is best suited to their body type.

It's very "golfer" to find a fault in getting stronger. It is even more "golfer" to find a reason to stay thin and weak.

Listen, mister, I'm not thin, weak, and frail. I'm fat, weak, and frail. Get yer facts straight

Sounds like yet another person who whines every time Bryson succeeds and they needed to come up with a new thing to complain about

But here’s another thought... we always talk about growing out the fairways and making the rough penalizing. If the tour isn’t going to do that, this is a logical outcome

With current PGA Tour setups, proximity to the hole is tighter with a SW from the rough than it is with an 8i from the fairway.
He is just maximising the hands the Tour keeps dealing him. It's awesome.

but what about being fat and weak? asking for a doughy friend.

Back