Is the world trending in the right direction?

Did you up and move to Saudi Arabia?
No. But it bothers me to hear how creationism is science and evolution is hokum and consenting adults can't get married because a 6000 year old book said no.

I was thinking about this the other day when hearing about a college march about raising the minimum wage. We offer 3-4 times what they are asking for someone with the proper experience/training, and can't find anybody qualified. There are still jobs available out there for people with the right skills.

The problem as I see it is the politicians pushing all the happy, we can do everything for you, you deserve more, everyone needs a living wage and the unions who support these same politicians with donations and want more membership join in the fight. Then add that the people who are working in these jobs because they lack the experience, knowledge or the skills to perform other work get caught up in the the promises and it leads to a big mess.

many people forget or don't understand (including the politicians) that minimum wage jobs aren't meant for careers but are stepping stones to getting work experience and should be used to get better jobs. But with all the problems we have with the educational system and more and more minorities and low income families lacking education alomg with many being a single parent especially a single mother homes leads to a society that lacks the skills and education to become successful and obtain these better jobs(not saying this is the case for all in this situation but is prevalent).

No. But it bothers me to hear how creationism is science and evolution is hokum and consenting adults can't get married because a 6000 year old book said no.
People can believe whatever they want regardless of how ridiculous or far fetched it may be, it's a free country. Sorry it bothers you so much that people don't think or feel the same way as you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

People can believe whatever they want regardless of how ridiculous or far fetched it may be, it's a free country. Sorry it bothers you so much that people don't think or feel the same way as you.

It is a free country. A country that neither restricts nor favors any religion. I love that idea.

What would be the mechanism for doing this, exactly? Setting a limit for how long one can be on welfare? Mandatory job seeking of some sort?

If you are government assistance there should be certain requirements:
- Mandatory drug testing.
- Mandatory skills training based on your education and skills.
- If not educated, mandatory schooling.
- If not skilled, skills training.
- If you smoke cigarettes, mandatory smoking cessation programs.
- Day care provided for non school aged children as part of government assistance package.

Based on household, food is given. Not stamps to go shopping. Actual food. Amount and type based on government health guidelines.
Vehicle, fuel and insurance provided and paid for only for school and work.

Within one year, you will be placed in a work environment based on your education and skill level. If you are working, no government assistance provided, other than for child care for non school aged children. Mandatory drug testing still applies.

If you are fired from your job within one year, you get one more round of this assistance program. If you fail again, no more assistance.

Two shots to make it work.

Places that will take these workers and work with the government to make the program work get tax incentives.

Two problems with this:
Politicians are corrupt and will use the system to make money.
People will scream about the requirements. Especially those making a living leeching off the system right now. "Civil liberties violations", blah, blah.

If you are government assistance there should be certain requirements:
- Mandatory drug testing.
- Mandatory skills training based on your education and skills.
- If not educated, mandatory schooling.
- If not skilled, skills training.
- If you smoke cigarettes, mandatory smoking cessation programs.
- Day care provided for non school aged children as part of government assistance package.

Based on household, food is given. Not stamps to go shopping. Actual food. Amount and type based on government health guidelines.
Vehicle, fuel and insurance provided and paid for only for school and work.

Within one year, you will be placed in a work environment based on your education and skill level. If you are working, no government assistance provided, other than for child care for non school aged children. Mandatory drug testing still applies.

If you are fired from your job, you get one more round of this assistance program. If you fail again, no more assistance.

Two shots to make it work.
I don't hate this. The only thing I would add, there should be some assistance for families with babies still in diapers or dietary needs like formula. Also, lifesaving medicine should be provided (insulin for example). Lots of wrinkles to iron out. But I like the framework. Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds very European.

It is a free country. A country that neither restricts nor favors any religion. I love that idea.

It's funny that people think we live in a free country!

I don't hate this. The only thing I would add, there should be some assistance for families with babies still in diapers or dietary needs like formula. Also, lifesaving medicine should be provided (insulin for example). Lots of wrinkles to iron out. But I like the framework. Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds very European.

Agreed. The interesting thing is that this how many European nations handle their population from the get go. All those students here who think there is "free" University in Europe don't know that truth. That being that in some countries you are selected to attend University. Most people are not and end up in trade school, to be a car mechanic for example. Only the best and brightest get to go to University "for free".

I wonder how all the students in the Million Student March would feel about their government telling them they can't go to University, but are better suited to fix cars for the rest of their lives, based on the populations' needs.

Agreed. The interesting thing is that this how many European nations handle their population from the get go. All those students here who think there is "free" University in Europe don't know that truth. That being that in some countries you are selected to attend University. Most people are not and end up in trade school, to be a car mechanic for example. Only the best and brightest get to go to University "for free".

I wonder how all the students in the Million Student March would feel about their government telling them they can't go to University, but are better suited to fix cars for the rest of their lives, based on the populations' needs.
I've often thought that the trade schools or associates degrees should be completely government provided but the bachelor degree and above should be exactly what they are now.

I've often thought that the trade schools or associates degrees should be completely government provided but the bachelor degree and above should be exactly what they are now.

Agreed again!!

I think anyone who thinks the world is suddenly making a sharp turn down the drain hasn't paid a whole lot of attention to history. Europe is always on the brink of disaster and domination from forces fell and terrible...before Daesh there was the Rooskies, before them the Fuhrer, before him Napoleon, before him the Khans, before them the Romans, before them the Persians. Israel endures despite perpetual existential threat from all of its borders. It's tough to call Arabia separate nations, their divisions are ethnic (Kurd versus Arab) and sectarian (Shia versus Sunni) as much as they are global. The bigger world just hasn't figured out how best to play that to their own ends.

America is too young to even really have a role in the long con. We split the atom, but that's only proof that we can prove a man ain't a god...and ideology that was on the way out anyway. America can kill just about anything but an idea, and it sucks something fierce at killing them, no matter how outlandish. We entertain the most ludicrous of notions on the grounds we once thought home to only the most logical of thought, the keenest minds, the sharpest diviners of future effects...scared of shadows on the wall.

The scariest part of the next generation: The replacing of 1700 years of houses of higher learning with the distribution into individual minds capable of higher thought, higher ideas, and sharper rebuke of what is merely human prejudices.

Headed down.
Sure, lots of tech advances, medical advances, I love these.
But, socially, as a country and as a world, we are headed down a road to our own destruction. It won't be soon, but humans will destroy our world, one way or another.
Let's start with the (lack of) respect that individuals pay toward each other. And groups of individuals - worse. Groupthink is widespread and awful, at times.
The media, and the sensationalism of tragedy and hate.
Division between the Haves and the Have-Nots.
Don't get me started on global warming. Or fossil fuel dependence. Or religion.

I think anyone who thinks the world is suddenly making a sharp turn down the drain hasn't paid a whole lot of attention to history. Europe is always on the brink of disaster and domination from forces fell and terrible...before Daesh there was the Rooskies, before them the Fuhrer, before him Napoleon, before him the Khans, before them the Romans, before them the Persians. Israel endures despite perpetual existential threat from all of its borders. It's tough to call Arabia separate nations, their divisions are ethnic (Kurd versus Arab) and sectarian (Shia versus Sunni) as much as they are global. The bigger world just hasn't figured out how best to play that to their own ends.

America is too young to even really have a role in the long con. We split the atom, but that's only proof that we can prove a man ain't a god...and ideology that was on the way out anyway. America can kill just about anything but an idea, and it sucks something fierce at killing them, no matter how outlandish. We entertain the most ludicrous of notions on the grounds we once thought home to only the most logical of thought, the keenest minds, the sharpest diviners of future effects...scared of shadows on the wall.

The scariest part of the next generation: The replacing of 1700 years of houses of higher learning with the distribution into individual minds capable of higher thought, higher ideas, and sharper rebuke of what is merely human prejudices.

I owe you a beer

I got this from my dad, age 85, in an email a couple weeks ago and found it spot on.

The Paradox of Our Time
The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints; we spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less.
We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.
We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years to life, not life to years.
We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We've conquered outer space, but not inner space; we've done larger things, but not better things.
We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we've split the atom, but not our prejudice.
We write more, but learn less; we plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait; we have higher incomes, but lower morals; we have more food, but less appeasement; we build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but have less communication; we've become long on quantity, but short on quality.
These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, and short character; steep profits, and shallow relationships. These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition.
These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer to quiet to kill.
It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom; a time when technology has brought this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to make a difference, or to just hit delete...

I am an old timer and a technological idiot. That does not mean that I oppose all this new fangled stuff, the benefits are obvious. However, I do think it diminished our personal relationships with others. When I was a youngster, after school, my buds and I would meet to play pick-up baseball or football or some other sport. Now it seems youngster would rather play video games or search cyber space. People don't visit as often, heck they don't even phone as much, they text. During my day, a friend was something more than just a contact on Facebook.

I also do not understand this "everybody should get a trophy" thing. Supposedly, preserving self esteem overrides the need to learn and the ability to compete. Youngsters will do what is demanded of them, we are no longer demanding that our youngsters learn, we are not demanding that they prepare for their coming lives. There was no such thing as a "Social Promotion". If you failed, you failed and were held back. What we are going to get are a bunch of illiterates that feel good about themselves with no idea how to compete in a competitive world.

I also remember during my high school years, there were multiple pick-ups in the school parking lot with shot guns and rifles hanging from rear window racks. No one really noticed, no one really cared and more importantly no one ever got shot.

I'm not saying the future is hopeless, just that I'm glad I lived when I did.

Saw this the other day and I laughed and cried at the same time:

So.....

Cops are criminals
Criminals are victims
People who don't work get a free ride
Desecrating our Nations flag is acceptable
Cross-dressers are called heros
A sniper is called a coward
The US negotiates with terrorists
We supply guns to drug cartels yet want to disarm our own citizens
People want to make more flipping burgers than members of the armed service protecting us

I left the political side out of it but to answer the question, no we are not headed in the right direction as a country and I pray that we find someone in the next few years that puts our country back on top where it should be.

When I think of the right direction the idea of technology, medical advances, and the state of the economy are all secondary to a moral compass. Right now I do not feel good or optimistic about our moral compass.

I politely disagree. Especially in this country where religion is used to refute science and deny rights to people.

That's fine. As I said, there are some negatives to religion. But those opposed to religion also completely ignore the positive impacts it has on society.

More single parent homes than ever especially inminority communities
More people out of the work force since Carter
Unemployment high among teens/young adults even worse in minority communities
uncontrollable govt spending and no turnaround in sight
Social security and Medicare programs that have ~15 years of sustainability but no one wants to reform them and anyone who does is ripped to shreds.
Educational performance in the U.S is bad and technology has removed the need/want to learn when google can answer everything for someone

Saw this the other day and I laughed and cried at the same time:

So.....

Cops are criminals
Criminals are victims
People who don't work get a free ride
Desecrating our Nations flag is acceptable
Cross-dressers are called heros
A sniper is called a coward
The US negotiates with terrorists
We supply guns to drug cartels yet want to disarm our own citizens
People want to make more flipping burgers than members of the armed service protecting us

I left the political side out of it but to answer the question, no we are not headed in the right direction as a country and I pray that we find someone in the next few years that puts our country back on top where it should be.

Respect the heck out of you Nate. With that said, that entire list is political, or at least politically-slanted. And, things like this are prepared solely to make people angry and afraid.

Negativity and fear sells. It's too easy to make people angry and freightened, and people from all sides profit from those feelings.

There's a ton of good out there when you don't let the FW:FW:FW:FW:FW emails consume you.

Seeing what I see on a daily basis, and how it has evolved (devolved would be more appropriate) over 10 years with youth....Hell no its not the right track.

Morals, common sense, tact, chivalry, and give a s--- are all vanishing.

That makes quite a bit of sense to me. Also, the complaint on the Icelandic model is inane...the rest of us work for our benefits, why shouldn't they?

Welcome to California. :disapointed:

I can see the other sides point of view. Honestly, can we expect people to go to work if we pay them more to stay home?

Here's an example. A co-worker told me that as a divorcee she attempted to enroll her young son for disability benefits. The worker told her that since she had a job that her son could not be enrolled. However, if she quit her job that her son would receive benefits and that she would receive welfare, housing, etc. (which equaled to considerably more then her wages as a secretary at the time). When she asked the social worker why would she want to quit working the worker's reply was "Honey, it's your money and I will make sure you get every penny you are entitled to".

Now this is an example of California problem and I am not pointing fingers at any political party. Both sides of the aisle, in all levels of government, spend money like there is no tomorrow. Unless politicians (in every country) start putting what's good for their country ahead of their own political careers, and their cronies bank accounts, the world will continue its slow spiral.

Seeing what I see on a daily basis, and how it has evolved (devolved would be more appropriate) over 10 years with youth....Hell no its not the right track.

Morals, common sense, tact, chivalry, and give a s--- are all vanishing.

I still have a certain faith in the American DNA. That DNA is the desire for personal freedom though self reliance and self responsibility. I understand that these qualities are being attacked by a virus, of sorts, promoting dependency. But I think that eventually the antibodies from our DNA will attack that virus and will prevail.

I still have a certain faith in the American DNA. That DNA is the desire for personal freedom though self reliance and self responsibility. I understand that these qualities are being attacked by a virus, of sorts, promoting dependency. But I think that eventually the antibodies from our DNA will attack that virus and will prevail.
I'm glad you do, I simply do not. The kids who are raised with care, morals, common sense, and human decency are the vast minority now.

Back