Is the world trending in the right direction?

I can't predict the future. For example , my Union job now, I'm the last generation of steel mill workers. We have been told privately that all our jobs will be in Mexico or over seas in 20 to 30 years. So in that respect , the free health insurance / $30 to $ 50 an hour union jobs / pensions ..etc . They will be all gone for the next generation

for my son , I'm hoping his future is bright and full of many many opportunities. Unfortunately the good jobs in our area will be gone. So I'm hoping he can find a great destiny elsewhere

as far as the rest /. We are in control of our destinies.. Pollution / health / and how we treat each other . We can all fix those and make the world a better place for generations to come

I can't predict the future. For example , my Union job now, I'm the last generation of steel mill workers. We have been told privately that all our jobs will be in Mexico or over seas in 20 to 30 years. So in that respect , the free health insurance / $30 to $ 50 an hour union jobs / pensions ..etc . They will be all gone for the next generation

Interesting. My privately owned steel mill keeps growing and accumulating business because of the closures of Arcelor Mittal East Chicago and Georgetown. And our guys bust hump for their wages and most are under $30 an hour. No wonder the union mills are closing

Interesting. My privately owned steel mill keeps growing and accumulating business because of the closures of Arcelor Mittal East Chicago and Georgetown. And our guys bust hump for their wages and most are under $30 an hour. No wonder the union mills are closing

Very interesting indeed as i still have people i talk to at all of the steel producers and while tgere have been layoffs due to reduced demand i havent heard much shifting jobs out of the country talk yet

Very interesting indeed as i still have people i talk to at all of the steel producers and while tgere have been layoffs due to reduced demand i havent heard much shifting jobs out of the country talk yet

The big mills that are have owners outside of the U.S. (like Mittal) have been consolidating mills and shutting down operations here for a couple reasons. The American currency is strong so the same products can be made in Canada and Mexico for greater profit margin. Plus China is dumping steel in the US for less than it costs to make. The industry as a whole is down about 40% but my company is only down 9% YTD. One of the reasons I love working for a privately owned company with the drive to grow and improve

The big mills that are have owners outside of the U.S. (like Mittal) have been consolidating mills and shutting down operations here for a couple reasons. The American currency is strong so the same products can be made in Canada and Mexico for greater profit margin. Plus China is dumping steel in the US for less than it costs to make. The industry as a whole is down about 40% but my company is only down 9% YTD. One of the reasons I love working for a privately owned company with the drive to grow and improve
Ah yes good ol chinese dumping, that was always a big ordeal when i was there. Then their government "stepped in" and would then shut down a few a week or 2 here and there like that would silve anything.

Ah yes good ol chinese dumping, that was always a big ordeal when i was there. Then their government "stepped in" and would then shut down a few a week or 2 here and there like that would silve anything.

Lol China side stepped that with ease. They dumped in Turkey and India and then those countries dumped in the U.S.

Who needs dumping when you can just contract directly with China like the contractor on the Bay Bridge. You get what you pay for... anchor bolts breaking etc.

Well , many before me and myself Included have paved the way to what a union steel worker earns today. I'm saddened to say we are the last. But I do agree That we need to give up something to keep these excellent jobs for future generations . Our economy in this whole area was created from the mills

without unions these jobs will pay $10-$15 an hour ( which is average factory pay). For that , I will not bend on losing. But giving up maybe optical or dental might be a consideration

Sorry fellow poster Phil , but working at a non Union -private owned mill is not in my outlook

Respect the heck out of you Nate. With that said, that entire list is political, or at least politically-slanted. And, things like this are prepared solely to make people angry and afraid.

Negativity and fear sells. It's too easy to make people angry and freightened, and people from all sides profit from those feelings.

There's a ton of good out there when you don't let the FW:FW:FW:FW:FW emails consume you.

I'd vote for you if you ran for political office. I truly would. I like the rose color glasses you still seem to have and I'm sure you would try to do some good where it was needed. You wouldn't have to look far.

Well , many before me and myself Included have paved the way to what a union steel worker earns today. I'm saddened to say we are the last. But I do agree That we need to give up something to keep these excellent jobs for future generations . Our economy in this whole area was created from the mills

without unions these jobs will pay $10-$15 an hour ( which is average factory pay). For that , I will not bend on losing. But giving up maybe optical or dental might be a consideration

Sorry fellow poster Phil , but working at a non Union -private owned mill is not in my outlook

You paved the way to overpaid union workers? Congrats, I guess.

The irony in your post is great. "Needing to give up something to keep these jobs around but it sure as hell better not be money. No way am I making average pay."

Do you have any idea how many guys are working in mills right now for that $15/hour you just spit on? Or how many people would kill to have a job like that?

Not worth it pal .. Jobs are way to dangerous for $15 an hour. If that is what your mill makes than I do feel sorry for them

why I'm in a union to fight for us

Is the world trending in the right direction?

Who needs dumping when you can just contract directly with China like the contractor on the Bay Bridge. You get what you pay for... anchor bolts breaking etc.

Oh it's absolute crap quality but at the end of the day it's cheap enough to where you can replace parts 5 times more frequently and still be ahead in cost. It's crazy.

To put it into perspective, the US has a capacity of 90,000,000 tons of steel production per year. That's if every mill in the country runs at 100% capacity for the year (which they're not). In 2014, China produced 900,000,000 tons of steel and is on pace to produce more this year. They literally are giving it away. They are selling steel for below cost which is why there was a law suit filed with the ITC. They haven't stopped and won't stop.

Not worth it pal .. Jobs are way to dangerous for $15 an hour. If that is what your mill makes than I do feel sorry for them

That is the starting wage. And I don't feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for the ones that don't have employment but have families they need to keep fed

You paved the way to overpaid union workers? Congrats, I guess.

The irony in your post is great. "Needing to give up something to keep these jobs around but it sure as hell better not be money. No way am I making average pay."

Do you have any idea how many guys are working in mills right now for that $15/hour you just spit on? Or how many people would kill to have a job like that?

Not the first industry unions have ruined or ruined because of over paid employees. I come from a family of union workers and most are retired now.

They need to start a union

I'll ask the Melt Shop Plant Manager if that's a good idea. He just came from a union at Mittal Georgetown. They just closed their doors for good. Or better yet, I'll walk down the street to Republic/US Steel which is Union. Oh wait, they closed down too.

It's getting better all the time. ....a great Beatles tune if you are so inclined. Take a look at any decade in the past and there are so many things to point to a better time now and future.

I lost an uncle and a father law from the mills ( black lung one the other was a furnace explosion) . I for one am not going to stand down for all they gave to the industry. They paved the way and will continue their legacy

these are not your 9 to 5 jobs . These jobs are dangerous and you can lose your lives here / and / develop life threatening diseases from the environment. $15 is just not acceptable ,

I lost an uncle and a father law from the mills ( black lung one the other was a furnace explosion) . I for one am not going to stand down for all they gave to the industry. They paved the way and will continue their legacy

these are not your 9 to 5 jobs . These jobs are dangerous and you can lose your lives here / and / develop life threatening diseases from the environment. $15 is just not acceptable ,
So, because it's dangerous, you're entitled to $40-$50 per hour?

So, because it's dangerous, you're entitled to $40-$50 per hour?

supply and demand. if it's so dangerous people don't want to do it, but the demand is there, the price will be $40-$50 per hour. until something mucks up the laissez fairs economic system like a union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supply and demand. if it's so dangerous people don't want to do it, but the demand is there, the price will be $40-$50 per hour. until something mucks up the laissez fairs economic system like a union.

Stop with your macro economic logic.

Stop with your macro economic logic.

see pharmacy jobs in Alaska. nobody wants to do it. when my wife was coming out of pharmacy school she got a job offer for like $200k+, whereas in the states it was about $100k. demand is there, supply not so much.

see pharmacy jobs in Alaska. nobody wants to do it. when my wife was coming out of pharmacy school she got a job offer for like $200k+, whereas in the states it was about $100k. demand is there, supply not so much.

I know exactly what you're saying brother. I think we're on the same wave length.

Back