Jeter 3000 is a homerun!!

He should've held out to meet Minka Kelly too....bad deal.

The guy who caught jeters homerun ball decided to give it back on the condition he got to meet him.. This is what he got

"According to Kay, Lopez will receive four tickets to a suite for every remaining game at Yankee Stadium this season (including any possible playoff games) plus first row Legends Suite tickets to Sunday's game. He will also receive an assortment of bats and jerseys, plus the opportunity to meet Jeter."

Tap tap taparoo

I agree completely.. Not even in the top 25-30

Tap tap taparoo

I'm not a Yankees expert by any means, but is Jeter really outside the top 25 of Yankees all time???

He should've held out to meet Minka Kelly too....bad deal.

+1 Might be the smartest thing I've read all day. And I just spent the last hour on the BBC News Site.

That's cool that you went to high school with him, one of my golf buddies is the public address announcer for the Astros and I met Biggio several times...you will not find a nicer guy!

You are 100% correct on that. With his first big league paycheck, he bought the highschool an indoor/outdoor portable batting cage. It was awesome!

thanks Snap....but that may not be saying much since BBC is still probably covered with Will & Kate coverage lol

+1 Might be the smartest thing I've read all day. And I just spent the last hour on the BBC News Site.

Meh, who cares about baseball anyway? Most boring game ever.

I don't like the Yankees, but I have to give Jeter his props. Great hit for a pretty respected guy in the baseball world. Plus, he's the ultimate ladies man :)

The guy who caught jeters homerun ball decided to give it back on the condition he got to meet him.. This is what he got

"According to Kay, Lopez will receive four tickets to a suite for every remaining game at Yankee Stadium this season (including any possible playoff games) plus first row Legends Suite tickets to Sunday's game. He will also receive an assortment of bats and jerseys, plus the opportunity to meet Jeter."

UPDATE:

Report: Yanks fan may face big tax bill

The man who gave Derek Jeter’s 3,000th hit ball back to the future Hall of Famer and received a treasure trove of gifts in return may be getting another unexpected gift — a five-figure tax bill.

The New York Times reported Monday that Christian Lopez, the fan that caught and returned Jeter’s home run ball on Saturday, could be facing a tax bill for all that he received in return for his good deed — potentially to the tune of about $14,000, according to one accountant.

The 23-year-old Lopez, who caught the ball while seated in the left-field stands, received from the Yankees four luxury suite tickets for each of the team’s remaining home games, including the postseason, as well as three bats, three balls and two jerseys all signed by Jeter. In addition, he received front-row seats for Sunday’s game, which the Times reported sell for up to $1,358.90 each.

When valuing all of the goods, Lopez – who told the Times that he owes more than $100,000 in student loans – could be in line for a heavy bill from the IRS. The Times cited Steven Bandini, a tax partner at the accounting firm Zapken & Loeb, who said that a modest valuation of $50,000 for all of the items would likely mean a roughly $14,000 tax liability.

What remains unclear, according to the report, is whether the items would be considered a gift, rendering them not taxable.

The Times reported that an IRS spokesperson would not speculate on Lopez’s tax liabilities, and it quoted Yankees spokesperson Alice McGillion as saying, “Yankee partners and partnership always comply with the tax laws,” while declining to state whether the team would give Lopez any money to assist with any tax liability.

Maybe he should have sold it instead.

Just read that on Yahoo about an hour ago. Hopefully Jeter will step up to the plate (pun intended) and pay his tax bill.

If not, I may lose respect for him and never buy his Avon cologne again.

God knows they have more money than they know what do with so hopefully they do the right thing and help him out as he did the right thing for them.

That story is bogus about the tax bill. Yankees could owe a gift tax, but nothing more.

That story is bogus about the tax bill. Yankees could owe a gift tax, but nothing more.

This topic had been on everything from mike and mike to pardon the interruption. They say the guy will have to pay the tax on the seats. Is this not the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do not know if he is classy. He held the Yankees hostage for his last contract of 17 million a year when his numbers were declining. Yes the yanks could have refused to pay him but Jeter turned to the fans for sympathy on how the Yanks did not want to negotiate. Lets see if he is classy when they ask him to be removed from his leadoff position or move from SS

When the Yanks make it to the WS this year (but lose to Philly), the Yanks and #2 will come to terms and #2 will retire as a Yank.

This topic had been on everything from mike and mike to pardon the interruption. They say the guy will have to pay the tax on the seats. Is this not the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not.
According to the IRS more than a year ago, gifting a baseball back is not taxable. CNBC covered this not 5 minutes after I posted it.

From what I understand the recipient of the gift or prize must pay the taxes on the value of the item. I'm no expert on law or New York law though.

From what I understand the recipient of the gift or prize must pay the taxes on the value of the item. I'm no expert on law or New York law though.

Watch CNBC. Im not a tax expert either, but the IRS released a statement on this exact topic over a year ago. CNBC just reported the same thing I just said.

do not know if he is classy. He held the Yankees hostage for his last contract of 17 million a year when his numbers were declining. Yes the yanks could have refused to pay him but Jeter turned to the fans for sympathy on how the Yanks did not want to negotiate. Lets see if he is classy when they ask him to be removed from his leadoff position or move from SS

they will never ask him to move from ss just will not happen, even an ole worn out jeter is better tthan 1/2 the ss in the majors, now i can see them moving him around in the line up now and than

I belive its up to the Yankees to determin the value which i think they can say its under$10,000 which would be tax free ITHINK?

Watch CNBC. Im not a tax expert either, but the IRS released a statement on this exact topic over a year ago. CNBC just reported the same thing I just said.

I don't have CNBC, but I hope you are right. The NY Times quoted a tax professional in their article about it and said "He recalled a 2004 incident in which Oprah Winfrey gave 276 cars to the audience of her show, who were surprised to discover they incurred tax obligations of around $7,000.

“Pretty clearly he’s going to have to report as income the value of all the stuff he got for the ball,” Professor Caron said."

I don't have CNBC, but I hope you are right. The NY Times quoted a tax professional in their article about it and said "He recalled a 2004 incident in which Oprah Winfrey gave 276 cars to the audience of her show, who were surprised to discover they incurred tax obligations of around $7,000.

“Pretty clearly he’s going to have to report as income the value of all the stuff he got for the ball,” Professor Caron said."

JB is right, Darren Rovell of CNBC just reconfirmed the earlier report from last year.

JB is right, Darren Rovell of CNBC just reconfirmed the earlier report from last year.

I had a feeling he would. The entire story is a non-story and this is so typical of things like this. The IRS has gone over this numerous times over baseballs since so many records have been broken.

Back