NEWS Justin Rose Removing Honma Clubs

SST Pure

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
I wondered how long it would take. i feel like his game took a dip when these went into the bag.
It does seem like he's falling quite a bit since that shift

Gman79

I'm Chris and I'm a golf addict
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My personal take is not in this situation. He was with a company for a long time. The CEO of TaylorMade left years ago and went to adidas North America. Rose was up for renewal. At the same time, that same CEO was brought into Honma as a consultant and the rest is history. Rose signs with Honma, King leaves for Taco Bell. Kawaja put in charge. Next couple of launches don’t go all that well (In my opinion).

Now here he is looking at some new equipment.
Ahhhh interesting... glad you have the timeline. Appreciate you!🏆👀

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My personal take is not in this situation. He was with a company for a long time. The CEO of TaylorMade left years ago and went to adidas North America. Rose was up for renewal. At the same time, that same CEO was brought into Honma as a consultant and the rest is history. Rose signs with Honma, King leaves for Taco Bell. Kawaja put in charge. Next couple of launches don’t go all that well (In my opinion).

Now here he is looking at some new equipment.
This is what I was thinking as well. Its political, not necessarily equipment based.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.8
This is what I was thinking as well. Its political, not necessarily equipment based.
Either way, if he switches brands and suddenly starts performing better, that's not going to look good for Honma at all from a marketing perspective. Ouch.

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Either way, if he switches brands and suddenly starts performing better, that's not going to look good for Honma at all from a marketing perspective. Ouch.
Agreed. (y)

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Eh. I have several reasons to say debatable there. They've made some decisions on equipment designs that are questionable at best.

• Haha
Reactions: JB

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Eh. I have several reasons to say debatable there. They've made some decisions on equipment designs that are questionable at best.
Sure, every company does. Remember, all equipment fits someone. Every company will miss once in a while in an attempt to gain market share and reach the end user. If they had stuck to their guns of high priced, super GI, Asian market driven equipment Rose may have never signed with them to begin with.

I cant think any of the questionable decisions they made affected him at all.

GoldenBuff

Pool noodle fencing
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting that the personal relationships have changed. People make deals with people. But still to make a change right now, abruptly at this point in a season, is surprising. The optics on this for Honma are brutal. Rose was the tour face of their equipment.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, every company does. Remember, all equipment fits someone. Every company will miss once in a while in an attempt to gain market share and reach the end user. If they had stuck to their guns of high priced, super GI, Asian market driven equipment Rose may have never signed with them to begin with.

He is speaking of a rumor that their last driver was nothing more than a catalogue driver available to a number of different small companies. I can say Honma has denied this as patently false to me personally.

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
He is speaking of a rumor that their last driver was nothing more than a catalogue driver available to a number of different small companies. I can say Honma has denied this as patently false to me personally.
Fair enough, why not just say that then? No need to be cryptic. Plus I still guessing that had zero effect on Rose.

Jman

Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap

Oh, there are. Very much so.

Jman

Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Fair enough, why not just say that then? No need to be cryptic. Plus I still guessing that had zero effect on Rose.
Because I chose not to, isn't that enough of a reason?

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Nerdy_81

Is there a reset button?
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting. He has fallen off quite a bit since changing. Coincidence or not, will be interesting to see what happens with new sticks.

Jman

Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I guess so......
LOL, well I'll be sure to ask permission to stay vague from now on :LOL:

As to the clubs, its a big deal, and its a bad look for a company trying to establish themselves stateside who otherwise had no history of such questionable decisions and have put impressive emphasis on their designs within lines, theoretically.

Long Shot

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
He is speaking of a rumor that their last driver was nothing more than a catalogue driver available to a number of different small companies
TM_SIMilar.png

Long Shot

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I guess i'm of the opinion that this is a performance slump more than the equipment. But if he needs a switch to clear his head, so be it. It sucks for Honma because they seemed to have some really good juice, now they will slink away into oblivion, at least outside of the Asian markets.

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Haha while that image is hysterical, I was speaking to a previous Honma driver.
I mean we saw it.

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Surprised, but not surprised.

jim54

must be the shafts
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
He is playing pretty standard blades and as often said here and about, there is not much of a difference in blades from any oem and they made them to his ideas allegedly.
Woods are a different world, but still has to do the same job and in his league again it is said if you hit it in the center not much difference. So to me it is all either between the ears or in the wallet.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in