NEWS Justin Rose Removing Honma Clubs

UPDATE

Spoke to someone at a shaft company that is out there currently. He said “it’s a feeding frenzy right now with clubs getting built for JR”.

I believe that we will see a complete change in some time. It could happen as early as Thursday.
That doesn't give him much time to get acquainted with new clubs before the API. Like, zero time.

Things could really get interesting if he shows up at the API with a new bag and plays well.

UPDATE

Spoke to same shaft person again and he said that they have some shafts in there, but he genuinely expects a shift to equipment of comfort so close to the Masters. He believes if JR moves on this week (and he thinks he will or soon, after talking to him) he will go with either his older clubs from Taylormade or something very similar. There is a level of feel/sound that is important to him and this close to Augusta would be tough for complete overhaul.

Good scoop.

Definitely want to see Rosey back in the mix with winning.

Did he win the Gold Medal with Honma? Remember the brief success he had early on but go back to TaylorMade, can’t put a price on peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe back to his old faithful TM. It has been a bizarre relationship with Honma.

This is bigger news because of how it reflects on Honma.

Justin Rose is kind of a snoozer for a spokesman. I mean, did anybody buy Honma clubs because Justin Rose, former World #1 (for a few weeks some years ago), Olympic Gold Medal winner, and US Open Champion from 6 years ago played Honma?

Good scoop.

Definitely want to see Rosey back in the mix with winning.

Did he win the Gold Medal with Honma? Remember the brief success he had early on but go back to TaylorMade, can’t put a price on peace of mind.

Pretty sure he still had TM in the bag. Not 100% though.

Is this a situation where he is that unhappy with what's in the bag? Or, is this more of a bad breakup scenario? He won't be caught dead with a Honma club in his bag at this point?

Is this a situation where he is that unhappy with what's in the bag? Or, is this more of a bad breakup scenario? He won't be caught dead with a Honma club in his bag at this point?

It is probably nuanced. I just called a buddy of mine that has been a big Honma fan. He said he heard the same thing that Rose was looking to leave. The rep told him he was blaming bad play on equipment. There is probably more to it than that though. There always is.

not surprised, TM has to be the top odds

It is probably nuanced. I just called a buddy of mine that has been a big Honma fan. He said he heard the same thing that Rose was looking to leave. The rep told him he was blaming bad play on equipment. There is probably more to it than that though. There always is.

I want to just add that we spoke to someone that is close to Rose earlier who flat out said Rose was NOT blaming his equipment for his struggles. Was told “a lot has changed and he wanted to test some stuff out”.

Honma stuff is good, I think the irons are better than the woods. Especially there 747 line and the rose protos! Doubt it’s equipment related. I’m sure it’s more of a comfort thing for him. Sucks for Honma

I want to just add that we spoke to someone that is close to Rose earlier who flat out said Rose was NOT blaming his equipment for his struggles. Was told “a lot has changed and he wanted to test some stuff out”.

Could be totally true. I am getting info that is less than reliable and not close to the source. I just reached out to someone I know likes Honma and plays a full bag of their stuff. He said a rep told him that. The rep could simply be embittered and/or speaking off the cuff. I was simply sharing has someone else had heard it some where else.

Confirming the story, but in no way confirming the reason.

I seem to recall Honma clubs were awesome when Rose was winning with them.

So Justin may not be going back to TM... but I wouldn't blame him if he did for now until after the Masters. Maybe not sign a contract until after then?

Comfort with equipment is a big thing from what i'm hearing. Look at what's-his-name Adam Scott maybe? He's playing irons that haven't really been updated in 17 years according to a podcast I heard. It was mentioned that the Titleist truck has several sets on hand for him should he need a new club of that line and should Titleist ever choose to stop making them.

This is awesome stuff JB. This Honma experiment seemed to be over in the blink of an eye. How much fun would it be to have everyone slobbering over you trying to get their equipment in your hands?

Made such a big deal out of switching to Homna. Actually lasted longer than I thought it would. Must of had to play them for this length of time. And like one of the other members said, he hit the new SIM all over the planet last week.

Wondering if they're abandoning their push to try to expand the brand and the relationship w/ Rose is a casualty. I haven't seen a Honma commercial in a while, and I remember them being on fairly often.

And so it begins.

More proof that I believe Honma has no clue what they are doing direction wise now.

club wise or marketing wise

club wise or marketing wise

I think their clubs are pretty good. I really thought the feedback on the XP1 irons from our True Temper event was excellent.

Personally I think the marketing or media relations could use a refresh, but it is what it is and fortunately for THPers, we will always make sure you have the right info.

I think their clubs are pretty good. I really thought the feedback on the XP1 irons from our True Temper event was excellent.

Personally I think the marketing or media relations could use a refresh, but it is what it is and fortunately for THPers, we will always make sure you have the right info.

It is nice to be able to have some insights so thanks to you and the staff

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
His game completely fell off when he switched to Honma. Let's see if this reverses it.

I can't help but find it a little comical when a player leaves an OEM that brought him so much success for the almighty dollar, and then on-course earnings disappear.

So that lasted all of 14+ months... woof

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That is banans! Look at Zach Johnson too! I bet his numbers are similar with PXG!
He was the first person I thought of and he switched right after a win too.

I wonder how often if a player goes into a funk do they usually blame the equipment or caddie. I am willing to bet most of the time it’s the player not the equipment.

Now money and contracts are a different story.

Remember that there is a fine line between shooting 70 and 69. A change in equipment such as iron design , or maybe the attitude of a caddie, can absolutely cause a Tour player a shot per round, 4 or more shots per tournament.
For amateurs trying to break 80, 90, or 100 the shot making is not as precise and the equipment not as relevant.

Back