KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

Yes the clubs are the same length as before, the grips are standard size, and I believe the swingweight is the same, he built them for me, I would hope he would of check the swingweights to make sure they are the same as before.

Ok ...... I would find a Flightscope or Trackman and see if they are creating to much spin for you. Either one of these machines are accurate enough to give you that information. Give them a while longer and see what happens. I always tell folks that it takes time to get used to a shaft. If the situation doesn't change get your spin numbers.

hackin

Yes the clubs are the same length as before, the grips are standard size, and I believe the swingweight is the same, he built them for me, I would hope he would of check the swingweights to make sure they are the same as before.
You may have mentioned it, so pardon the skim, but what were your previous shafts?

You may have mentioned it, so pardon the skim, but what were your previous shafts?

They were stock Apollo Spectra-Lite shafts.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

They were stock Apollo Spectra-Lite shafts.

Interesting, they are similar weight as the Tour 90s. Do you feel that your swing has gotten too quick? Ever struggled with getting too steep with your swing before?

Interesting, they are similar weight as the Tour 90s. Do you feel that your swing has gotten too quick? Ever struggled with getting too steep with your swing before?

I dont think so, I do know from hitting them, I need to stay in tempo. I did notice that I took more of a divot yesterday than I have been before. I didnt really think about it because before I had the Adams, I had the Burner 2.0's and was more of a sweeper..

Could that be it, maybe I am getting too steep a swing? And what would the fix be for that?

I dont think so, I do know from hitting them, I need to stay in tempo. I did notice that I took more of a divot yesterday than I have been before. I didnt really think about it because before I had the Adams, I had the Burner 2.0's and was more of a sweeper..

Could that be it, maybe I am getting too steep a swing? And what would the fix be for that?
My major swing flaw is getting too steep. I hit fat shots with the best of them. What I have found work best for me is to widen my stance a bit (i tend to stand with my feet too close together), place the ball a bit to the back center of my stance. Since changing to my current irons and the Tour 90s in them, I do tend to choke down a bit on my clubs, nothing that is extremely significant, but I have found that it helps me from digging too much.

My major swing flaw is getting too steep. I hit fat shots with the best of them. What I have found work best for me is to widen my stance a bit (i tend to stand with my feet too close together), place the ball a bit to the back center of my stance. Since changing to my current irons and the Tour 90s in them, I do tend to choke down a bit on my clubs, nothing that is extremely significant, but I have found that it helps me from digging too much.

Alright, I'll give it a try, I do tend to stand with my feet close together. Thanks War, I'll give it a go this week and post back.

I want to thank all the testers for working on this long term forum review. We appreciate your hard work and with that, this testing has officially concluded.

Nice job testers. This was fun to follow along with.

Thanks to THP and KBS for the testing opportunity. This testing has definitely opened my eyes to the benefits of having an properly fitted shaft in my iron set.

I have seen great success with having these in my irons, through extra range time and a bit extra work on my iron game, I have grown quite comfortable with the pairing.

It will be interesting to see my results going forward, specifically what kind of challenges I may face if I were to switch to a shaft that has different characteristics than what I have gotten adjusted to in the Tour 90's.

Great job to all the tester's.
This will be interesting to continue to follow for those that keep these shafts in their current Irons to see how the game progress's overall.

I want to thank THP and KBS for the absolutely eye opening experience for me with these shafts. As WE has said, I too was a "stock shafts are fine by me" kind of person until I got this chance to test these. Wow what a difference they made in the relatively short amount of time I had with these. These will definitely be staying in my irons and most likely will be my shafts of choice for any future iron purchases. I'll be updating with some thoughts in this thread as I continue to play these.

Conrad at KBS was amazing working with me initially to get me in the right flex and Freddie, thank you for the absolutely professional job of putting these in.

Testing already done?! Wow. I want to follow suit with JN and WE and say thank you to KBS and THP to test equipment I wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to try. Just like WE and JN said, this opportunity has opened my eyes to proper equipment fitting especially in the shafts. Not only have I seen distance gains, it has taught me to swing with tempo and when I didn't the mistakes started. I will keep these shafts in my gamed irons and have a greater appreciation for what KBS has done for the amateur game. In summary, these shafts aren't a cure all solution, but it has put me and all the testers on a path to a more consistent game. All around great experience and will continue to update this thread and answer any questions the THP community has.

Thank you KBS, THP, and also Freddie for a timely install. Kudos!

Testers you guys did a great job with these. I think you may have opened a lot of eyes on the site. I bet the tour 90 shaft will be a hit in clubs at the tour van stops over the next month.

Testers you guys did a great job with these. I think you may have opened a lot of eyes on the site. I bet the tour 90 shaft will be a hit in clubs at the tour van stops over the next month.

I certainly hope I brought a little insight as I know pmoa and WE did. This testing really proved to me that a smooth swing is a key to good ball striking and good golf in general.

I'm really hoping they are an unlabeled shaft for the Smooth Challenge! I think people might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm really hoping they are an unlabeled shaft for the Smooth Challenge! I think people might be pleasantly surprised.

This! If not the Tour 90's, then some sort of KBS shaft!

This! If not the Tour 90's, then some sort of KBS shaft!

I would be VERY surprised if one of these shafts weren't KBS. Hope these get their time in the sun at the demos.

Just wanted to give a quick little update on these from my last round on Saturday. While I had a couple pull hooks, the majority of my iron shots were again a nice straight to slight fade, and my recent added distance with these has not disappeared...had a nice shot that comes to mind. An approach on a par 4, 165 out and slightly downwind. Pulled my 8i and put it pin high to the middle of the green. I'm starting to get used to clubbing down a club as a result of these shafts. Excited to hear some peoples' feedback on these shafts after the Tour Van events are over...I can predict that they will be pretty well received.

I still need to get another round in with these shafts. I've checked the lengths, and they are dead on stock length. I possibly just need to open my stance and adjust the ball position as War suggested to try. Other than that, I love the feel and ball flight I am getting. Now to dial in the distances.

I still need to get another round in with these shafts. I've checked the lengths, and they are dead on stock length. I possibly just need to open my stance and adjust the ball position as War suggested to try. Other than that, I love the feel and ball flight I am getting. Now to dial in the distances.

Definitely play with your ball position. With my previous shafts I had a "shifting" ball position through the bag (short irons more forward, long irons more back) and that really screwed with me when I started with these shafts. Now I have the ball slightly forward of center with every iron and I've been hitting them very well. But the best ball position is relative to the swing of the golfer, so experiment a bit and remember to swing smoothly.

So at the AC outing we played the pines course in REALLY windy conditions. Some holes into the wind were playing about 2 to 3 clubs longer. I was worried that the high ball flight from the Tour 90's was going to hurt. Boy was I in for a treat. I was paired up with JeremyHeslop and ddec and Buckjob. Almost all of the shots had no ballooning and the ball still carried well into the greens. Obviously left to right and vice versa affected the ball. But if you are worried about playing a higher launching shaft. Ddec can testify that these shafts really performed even in the windy conditions. Color me impressed KBS

So at the AC outing we played the pines course in REALLY windy conditions. Some holes into the wind were playing about 2 to 3 clubs longer. I was worried that the high ball flight from the Tour 90's was going to hurt. Boy was I in for a treat. I was paired up with JeremyHeslop and ddec and Buckjob. Almost all of the shots had no ballooning and the ball still carried well into the greens. Obviously left to right and vice versa affected the ball. But if you are worried about playing a higher launching shaft. Ddec can testify that these shafts really performed even in the windy conditions. Color me impressed KBS
That's awesome, Perry. I played a few weeks ago in some Tropical Storm winds, and the higher ball flight did not cause an issue once. Like you said, the lefts/rights were affected, but thats wind for ya.

These reviews are outstanding! I'm contemplating going to something lighter in my irons. I've played KBS Tours for about 3 years now, and have had very good success with them, but I am a low ball hitter, and have a slowish swing speed. I have a very smooth transition, and almost never try to step on a shot. I've wanted to try these for a while now, but Mizuno doesn't offer them, and buying them on the secondary market is pretty expensive. Might have to bite the bullet and give these a shot.

These reviews are outstanding! I'm contemplating going to something lighter in my irons. I've played KBS Tours for about 3 years now, and have had very good success with them, but I am a low ball hitter, and have a slowish swing speed. I have a very smooth transition, and almost never try to step on a shot. I've wanted to try these for a while now, but Mizuno doesn't offer them, and buying them on the secondary market is pretty expensive. Might have to bite the bullet and give these a shot.
Im a line drive hitter, and the one thing I had been looking for to help with my game is to be able to hit some high shots with my irons in to the green. I really struggled with the inability to hold a green due to the trajectory that my shots came in at. Since changing to the Tour 90s, I have improved my ball flight tremendously, and have been quite pleased with how my game has transitioned.

What flex are you looking for? Stiff or Reg?

Back