KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

War Eagle: was just reading through your last few updates and had a few questions but was having trouble phrasing it correctly....hope they makes sense.

Since you started testing these lighter weight shafts, you have obviously had an increased focus on your tempo. How much of that do you think is the shafts versus a conscious effort for testing?

I realize that you have likely benefitted most from these by the higher ball flight. Assuming a heavier shaft offered the same ball flight that you now see and prefer, is there anything about the Tour 90's that would make you prefer them? Could you still have the same success with that heavier shaft if you remained focus on your tempo?

War I have a question for you regarding the weight of these shafts. Since you're quite the hoarder, ha, other than the Blacks which are graphite have you played with another set of irons that have "traditional" weighted iron shafts? I'm curious if you would see the same results/scores with a heavier weight shaft since you have put so much into your game the past few months.
I have not played with another set of irons in a month or so. And over the past few weeks I have been wondering what kind of results I would see if I switched back to a heavier shaft.

Maybe an experiment needs to take place.
War Eagle: was just reading through your last few updates and had a few questions but was having trouble phrasing it correctly....hope they makes sense.

Since you started testing these lighter weight shafts, you have obviously had an increased focus on your tempo. How much of that do you think is the shafts versus a conscious effort for testing?

I realize that you have likely benefitted most from these by the higher ball flight. Assuming a heavier shaft offered the same ball flight that you now see and prefer, is there anything about the Tour 90's that would make you prefer them? Could you still have the same success with that heavier shaft if you remained focus on your tempo?
Similar to what Danny said. I was thinking about this the other day, and wondering which has more to do with it. Obviously the higher ball flight has helped, but since resting I have spent much more range time with my irons, and more time directing what I am doing wrong on my misses. Obviously with Moe time spent working to improve my swing, the results will be better. Confidence also plays in to the equation here too, I am much more confident in my irons than I was a while back, because I feel that I am going to hit a good shot rather than sitting there preshot wondering if it's going to be the right distance or peel off to the right.

I have to wonder what the results would be with a different set of irons, and may have to test that idea this week.

I know this might have been directed at WE but I'd like to answer these questions as well.

To the first question...for me, I think that the shafts perform hr best with a smooth tempo and therefore they have caused me to try and keep my tempo as such. It has crept into the rest of my game as well, which has been a benefit to me because I've been overall more accurate with not only my irons and wedges but my woods as well.

The second question is a tricky one to answer but its a great question. I've swing some heavier shafts with decent results, but assuming that if a heavier shaft had a similar ball flight to the KBS 90s, I'd probably still go with the 90s due to the light weight. I've felt like I can swing more effortlessly with these than heavier shafts in the past, which I believe leads to a less stressful round for my body (especially if I'm walking a course). The less stress I put on myself and my body, the better I seem to play. I do think that id have success with heavier shafts if I kept myself to a smooth tempo but I do not believe that I would have as much distance as I am seeing with the 90s due to that weight difference.

Cookie, wanted to add something else to what I replied with earlier.

I have had good results with all different types of shafts and all kinds of irons, but the key here for me is being able to get the performance on a consistent basis and throughout an entire round. That's where the KBS Tour 90s have been shining the most. Towards the end of the round, my accuracy and swing is as it was at the beginning, where it's possible that with a heavier shaft that wouldnt be the case.

I take a look at Demo Day back a few months ago. The first set of clubs I hit that day had C-Tapers in them, and I was hitting them quite well. Towards the end of the day, there would have been no way I was hitting them as I was hitting them at the beginning of the day.

I know this might have been directed at WE but I'd like to answer these questions as well.

To the first question...for me, I think that the shafts perform hr best with a smooth tempo and therefore they have caused me to try and keep my tempo as such. It has crept into the rest of my game as well, which has been a benefit to me because I've been overall more accurate with not only my irons and wedges but my woods as well.

The second question is a tricky one to answer but its a great question. I've swing some heavier shafts with decent results, but assuming that if a heavier shaft had a similar ball flight to the KBS 90s, I'd probably still go with the 90s due to the light weight. I've felt like I can swing more effortlessly with these than heavier shafts in the past, which I believe leads to a less stressful round for my body (especially if I'm walking a course). The less stress I put on myself and my body, the better I seem to play. I do think that id have success with heavier shafts if I kept myself to a smooth tempo but I do not believe that I would have as much distance as I am seeing with the 90s due to that weight difference.

To the bolded, that makes perfect sense and it agrees with what those of us who took part in the Cleveland Black testing saw as well. We see TOUR players going to lightweight shafts and they are obviously performing well with them otherwise there wouldn't be a change, for example the pics Hawk posted in the new Miyazaki thread. Those guys have tempo figured out and it makes sense that something which makes you about tempo would be a great asset to your game.

War cookie made a good point above about a shaft that was heavier yet still gave you the higher ball flight like the KBS 90. Either way i wouldn't mind seeing an experiment if you have time, not so much on contact and scores, but actual ball flight.

KBS Tour 90 - League night - Fatigue review

Previous KBS Tour 90 Thoughts:
Range Session: Click Here
Should you replace your shafts:Click Here
Course Testing w/ pics: Click Here
Wedge Range Session: Click Here
Stats Post: Click Here
League Night Thoughts and Results: Click Here
League Night Struggle: Click Here

There were several times tonight where I tried to get a few more yards with the the wind in my face and am catching the ball thin by standing up at impact. The good shots that were executed were three quarter swings. These swings were slower in tempo and I choked down a little less than inch to get some more control on distance. I found this to be much more effective than bringing the club all the way to parallel or even past parallel like I normally do. When I was between clubs, I clubbed up choked down and swung three quarter. The results were drastically different. I was getting exhausted towards hole #8 and #9 due to these steep hills that we have to walk. The fatigue in my legs definitely contribute to less lower body turn and more of an armsy swing. When my lower body gets out of sync with my arm swing, the shaft tends to kick earlier and with me standing up on impact, the ball is thinned or bladed. So compensating the past couple of weeks for my lower body fatigue my hands and arms are doing a lot of work and the shafts are a little out of sync. Another result of this is some tendonitis on the back of my left hand. I can honestly say that if I played the older stiff shafts in my Ping i10's. I would be hit some high and right balls cause I just cant load the shaft properly. The KBS Tour 90's have allowed me to load the club properly even late in the round and the misses are significantly less BAD.

One thing I want to mention is that my first session with GolfTEC was a success. The KBS Tour 90 shafts are fitted properly for me. I will post videos once they are uploaded. My overswing actually is my tempo and the regular flex hard stepped are giving me optimum results if I hit the ball properly. I do not have a drastic change of direction at the top but I do come over the top and cast the club a little. This, in turn, makes the club release a little early and the shaft kicks a little early prior to impact. This is known as scooping and the cupped left wrist is the symptom. SO, as they upload my videos, I can show good and bad swings and see where the optimum positions are for the KBS Tour 90's. It was quite eye opening.

To be continued...

There were several times tonight where I tried to get a few more yards with the the wind in my face and am catching the ball thin by standing up at impact. The good shots that were executed were three quarter swings. These swings were slower in tempo and I choked down a little less than inch to get some more control on distance. I found this to be much more effective than bringing the club all the way to parallel or even past parallel like I normally do. When I was between clubs, I clubbed up choked down and swung three quarter. The results were drastically different. I was getting exhausted towards hole #8 and #9 due to these steep hills that we have to walk. The fatigue in my legs definitely contribute to less lower body turn and more of an armsy swing. When my lower body gets out of sync with my arm swing, the shaft tends to kick earlier and with me standing up on impact, the ball is thinned or bladed. So compensating the past couple of weeks for my lower body fatigue my hands and arms are doing a lot of work and the shafts are a little out of sync. Another result of this is some tendonitis on the back of my left hand. I can honestly say that if I played the older stiff shafts in my Ping i10's. I would be hit some high and right balls cause I just cant load the shaft properly. The KBS Tour 90's have allowed me to load the club properly even late in the round and the misses are significantly less BAD.

One thing I want to mention is that my first session with GolfTEC was a success. The KBS Tour 90 shafts are fitted properly for me. I will post videos once they are uploaded. My overswing actually is my tempo and the regular flex hard stepped are giving me optimum results if I hit the ball properly. I do not have a drastic change of direction at the top but I do come over the top and cast the club a little. This, in turn, makes the club release a little early and the shaft kicks a little early prior to impact. This is known as scooping and the cupped left wrist is the symptom. SO, as they upload my videos, I can show good and bad swings and see where the optimum positions are for the KBS Tour 90's. It was quite eye opening.

To be continued...

Perry, how awesome is it that after a GolfTec eval that they are fitted properly? Pretty excited to see those videos man, should be quite interesting.

Perry, how awesome is it that after a GolfTec eval that they are fitted properly? Pretty excited to see those videos man, should be quite interesting.

I know! I was so happy. It's usually a crapshoot and so dependent on uneducated guessing. Thank goodness for Conrad!

I know! I was so happy. It's usually a crapshoot and so dependent on uneducated guessing. Thank goodness for Conrad!
Yes! He was quite helpful for sure, and really gave me a nice education and shafts and the importance of them being properly fit to a golfer.

To be continued...

Great stuff, this review is great. Interesting how these worked for you.

I think you played the right with the hybrid. A smooth 5i gives you a 40yd shot. I believe try to get home and have short game left or layup to yardage that works.
Smooth is the way to maximize the energy in these shafts. Keep doing what your doing and play some solid golf. Oh and no more 'small child' divots

Cookie, wanted to add something else to what I replied with earlier.

I have had good results with all different types of shafts and all kinds of irons, but the key here for me is being able to get the performance on a consistent basis and throughout an entire round. That's where the KBS Tour 90s have been shining the most. Towards the end of the round, my accuracy and swing is as it was at the beginning, where it's possible that with a heavier shaft that wouldnt be the case.

I take a look at Demo Day back a few months ago. The first set of clubs I hit that day had C-Tapers in them, and I was hitting them quite well. Towards the end of the day, there would have been no way I was hitting them as I was hitting them at the beginning of the day.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Definitely something that I can't discount as I have also seen a few stray shots sneak in towards the end of a round. Would a lighter weighted iron shaft help that? Well....sounding like it is for you guys. Really like that the "tempo" mindset has creeped into the rest of your bag, can only see that as an added benefit.

Looking forward to the Tempo Challenge and seeing if I can discern shaft A from shaft B, etc.

KBS Tour 90 Testing - 8/15/12

Let me say this...what a difference a couple days makes! After struggling with the pull hooks recently, something just clicked in my swing today and the result was a new personal best of 74 at my home course. These KBS shafts felt so smooth and effortless today, and I was finding the center of the club face quite often.

Long irons:

I didn't get a chance to hit my 6i today but one shot came to mind early in the round. On the par 5 2nd I had hit a nice drive but on the right side, just off of the fairway. I had about 190 in to the pin and as it was early in the round (and the previous round of pull hooks still fresh in my mind) I went for an aggressive play, pulling my 5i. I had trees in my way along the right side, so I knew I had to draw the ball around those trees to get at the green. I took an even tempo swing and struck the 5i flush...and to my amazement, it drew just like I had visualized from the left side, over water, landing only a couple yards short of the green. A nice high draw (sorry Westy) that gave me a great chance at an up and down for birdie, which I completed. The feel from that shot was as if I was swinging a feather and hitting a marshmallow...it just felt natural. The shaft did exactly what I wanted it to, flighting the ball high and carrying the ball well over the hazard in front of me. It was an addicting feeling that would rarely stop during this round.

Mid-irons:

My 7 and 8 irons today worked nicely for me. Although I had quite a few 9i and PW into the greens today, I noticed that the pull hook was gone with my mid irons and the ball was back to its high flying trajectory that either faded just slightly or went dead straight. I hit a very nice 8i from 160 out on a par 4, aiming at the middle of the green, and voila, there it hit, only about a foot or so away from it's pitch mark. It was as if I had met an old friend again, I loved seeing that trajectory and feeling the KBS seemingly flow from takeaway to contact.

Short irons:

These were the bread and butter of my round today as I had numerous 9 irons and PWs into the greens today. One shot that comes to mind is a 9i that I hit into the par 4 5th hole. Having hit that long 5i into the previous par 5, I decided to take a little less club than normal from around 150 yards. Again my tempo was good, and again I barely noticed the shaft and contact, it felt very natural...and I see my ball soar, straight, over the pin, and hitting the edge of the back fringe of the green. What? My 8i is usually my 150 club...right? My playing buddies asked me what I had hit there and I showed them my 9i. One of them said, "wait, you went just off of the back of the green from 150 with a 9i? Wow, you are hitting your irons far today." And I was. One more shot that comes to mind is the tee shot on the par 3 9th hole. Very uphill tee shot to the green which was 138 ish yards, almost all of it a waste bunker. Usually I always take a 9i due to the fact that it was uphill, but after that previous 9i I decided on the PW. Good decision, as the ball looped up and hit the center of the green. I drove the cart up to the green and found the ball more towards the front, and my pitch mark a good 4-5 feet in front of where the ball rested. The spin was back! I have only spun a ball back that far once before, on a severely sloped green. This one was practically flat. I had gotten so frustrated at my last couple performances with my irons that I just felt a weight disappear from my shoulders.

Distances:

Today I experienced a seemingly abnormal distance gain. My 150 yard club was my 9 rather than my 8, my 190 ish club was my 5 rather than a choked down 3 hybrid. It was a strange feeling, and thankfully I saw this early enough in the round to adjust my club selection, as I could have easily flown quite a few greens today (I hit 12/18 GIR today). Was it the smooth tempo, was it the fact I was hitting the sweet spot more than I'd done in the past, was it the lightweight shafts? My guess is all of the above. I tried to stay consistent with my ball placement, just forward of center, for all of my iron shots, and I was greeted with a LONG, high, looping shot. I can only hope that these distances hold up, as I now know what I can do when my swing is clicking.

I can safely say that after my round today, these shafts have completely changed my iron game, and for the better.

Congrats on the PB of 74, JN! +2, 12/18 GIRs is quite the round.

Nice distance gain as well, going about a club longer for you.

Congrats on the PB of 74, JN! +2, 12/18 GIRs is quite the round.

Nice distance gain as well, going about a club longer for you.

Thanks WE! I actually wish it was a +2, but I'll take a +4 any day (par 70). That feeling yesterday was addicting.

Thanks WE! I actually wish it was a +2, but I'll take a +4 any day (par 70). That feeling yesterday was addicting.
Ah, gotcha. Forgot that your home course was a Par 70. Either way man, a 74 is an awesome score.

KBS Tour 90 Shafts - 1st full round with shafts - 18AUG2012

So I finally got a chance to get a full 18 in with my Tour 90 shafts this AM. just for a little background, I was fitted to the Stiff flex and was told to trim them to the stiffest frequency on the trim sheet by Conrad based on my SS and tempo. I installed these in my Adams a4R irons.

So today was very frustrating. Before the shaft change, I was hitting my 8-iron about 150yds. I really haven't been able to get to the range in a few weeks since my wife has been working evenings. So on to today, I had about `163yds to the middle of the green on the 1st hole. Easy 7-iron, or so I thought. I hit a beutiful shot, nice flight, sounded great, but I was almost 2 club lenghts short! Told myself maybe I got under it alittle bit.

Well the rest of the day, I was at least 2 club lenghts short on everything. So I was about to come home and pull these shafts out and go back to the cheapy Apollo shafts that came stock in the irons. I called my buddy who is the Pro at DSG. He told me to play a few more rounds with them before I pull the shafts.

So I am torn in what I should do. Is this just an adjustment period, maybe I have to place the ball in a different place in my stance. The ball flight is perfect, but I cannot take hitting the 8-iron 130yds. What do you guys think I should do??

6/24/12 KBS Tour 90 Testing
Reshafting

When I found out that I would be testing out the KBS Tour 90 shafts, I decided that I wanted to capture the entire aspect of the process, especially since some of the posters had mentioned that they were curious in the reshafting process in the signup thread after the testers were announced. I knew this would be tough, as I am not yet able to reshaft my own irons. I talked with Tadashi about reshafting them, and being the amazing guy that he is, he stepped up and told me that not only would he take care of the work on my irons, he would also help me accomplish what I wanted to do and help me document the journey I am going to have with these shafts.

My first goal was to select what kind of "style" I wanted to go with, and I decided that I wanted to go with a color scheme that would "scream" THP for this testing. I decided to go with Green Pure Grips, as well as green ferrules for the irons and green/white stripped ferrules on my wedges;
Here is a shot of the green Pure grip next to the different ferrules I went with:
Spoiler
B7FD3F0F.jpg

Grip w/ Green Ferrule on KBS Tour 90;
Spoiler
80A51A2B.jpg

Grip w/ Green/White Ferrule on KBS Tour 90;
Spoiler
92F9D074.jpg

Here is a shot of the Green Pure grips installed on the KBS Tour 90 shafts;
Spoiler
B1A147C1.jpg

So, after Freddie and I played a round of Golf with the rest of the Florida THP'ers, my J40 DPCs were off with him, headed to Orlando to get some work done. Freddie was kind enough to document via video the steps he took to remove the current shafts out of the J40s, regrip, place new ferrules, and install the new KBS Tour 90s shafts in to the heads.

The first video is of the removal of the J40 head off the current shaft;

The Tour 90 shafts came to us testers uncut, so that we could have them adjusted to the lengths that we play. I wanted to stick with the length that I play my J40s at right now, so in order to ensure that they were measured out correctly, we needed to cut the old grips off and measure to make sure we had the numbers right;

The KBS Tour 90 shafts came to us to match our current setup. My current iron setup in the J40 DPCs is 5-PW, as well as playing 3 Nike VR Pro Wedges, at 50*, 55* and 60*. Each shaft was individually labeled and marked with which club they were to go in to, so to ensure that the right shafts went in to the right club head. I did not hard-step or soft-step my setup.

After getting the right measurements for the shafts, it was time to cut the shafts down to the correct length. Some people have the luxory of a workbench, but if you are like me (and in this case, Freddie) a work bench isnt a must have for shaft work and cutting them down. Here is Freddie cutting down the shaft, as well as preparing the tip to be installed in to the iron heads;

Shafts were cut down, and time to tape and grip them up. I went with one wrap of tape under the pure grips. Installation of grips can be pretty easy, I do my own with a simple setup of grip solvent, tape and some old fashioned elbow grease.

After all the above steps are completed, it's time to install the shafts in to the iron heads. In the video there are some great shots of my irons set and ready to go. The last step is put on some epoxy, slide on the ferrule and insert the shaft in to the iron head. Freddie captures it all again on video here;
[video=youtube;W5c--5c15YE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5c--5c15YE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

So that's the step by step process that my J40 irons went through to take their original shafts out and get the KBS Tour 90 shafts installed. Was glad that we could capture the process on video, as I know that I personally have always wanted to be able to do a project like this myself rather than having to rely on a golf shop or a good friend to do it. The process is pretty straight forward, and the videos capture it all so that others can see what it takes.

I am quite excited to get these in hand. I am loving the green grip and ferrule setup, and think the green will hopefully prompt some folks to ask a question or two on why I went with that look...that will be an easy opening for me to tell them about the awesome place we have here on THP, the amazing testing opportunity I have been given, as well as letting them know all about the KBS Tour 90 shafts. Again, a sincere Thank-You to THP and KBS for this opportunity, I am excited to get this testing opportunity rolling, and from talking with Freddie, I should have them by Tuesday so I can get them out where they belong, on the Course!

Also, I want to extend my appreciation and Thanks to Freddie aka Tadashi. When I got selected for this testing, he immediately sent me a text offering to help me out with reshafting my irons. He didnt have to do that, but did so with out even thinking twice. Freddie is an asset to THP, and a true friend. On top of offering to do the work, he didnt even blink when I told him of my idea to document the entire process, from start to finish. Oh yeah, did I mention he did all of this in less than 24 hours before he went out of town on business? Amazing. Freddie...Thank you for this!

I hope to have these in hand by Tuesday, will probably have an unboxing video up of my first impressions and thoughts from the range.

Quoting this for awesomeness and also wanted two know what size ferrules you used.

KBS Tour 90 Shafts - 1st full round with shafts - 18AUG2012

So I finally got a chance to get a full 18 in with my Tour 90 shafts this AM. just for a little background, I was fitted to the Stiff flex and was told to trim them to the stiffest frequency on the trim sheet by Conrad based on my SS and tempo. I installed these in my Adams a4R irons.

So today was very frustrating. Before the shaft change, I was hitting my 8-iron about 150yds. I really haven't been able to get to the range in a few weeks since my wife has been working evenings. So on to today, I had about `163yds to the middle of the green on the 1st hole. Easy 7-iron, or so I thought. I hit a beutiful shot, nice flight, sounded great, but I was almost 2 club lenghts short! Told myself maybe I got under it alittle bit.

Well the rest of the day, I was at least 2 club lenghts short on everything. So I was about to come home and pull these shafts out and go back to the cheapy Apollo shafts that came stock in the irons. I called my buddy who is the Pro at DSG. He told me to play a few more rounds with them before I pull the shafts.

So I am torn in what I should do. Is this just an adjustment period, maybe I have to place the ball in a different place in my stance. The ball flight is perfect, but I cannot take hitting the 8-iron 130yds. What do you guys think I should do??

That's interesting bogey. I wouldn't imagine the shafts making you 2 clubs short! Before the knee jerk reaction, play them a few more rounds. If anything I saw an increase in distance with these shafts. The only thing I can think of is maybe the shafts were cut too short? Did the lengths match your stockers from before?

Quoting this for awesomeness and also wanted two know what size ferrules you used.
It was a .335 ferrule. Got them off ebay.

That's interesting bogey. I wouldn't imagine the shafts making you 2 clubs short! Before the knee jerk reaction, play them a few more rounds. If anything I saw an increase in distance with these shafts. The only thing I can think of is maybe the shafts were cut too short? Did the lengths match your stockers from before?

My buddy the Pro cut them stock length. I don't know why I'm hitting them so short now...

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

JN - That is an awesome distance gain. Those are Tiger long 9 irons! Congrats on the 74!

My buddy the Pro cut them stock length. I don't know why I'm hitting them so short now...

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Are they the same as what you were hitting before though? There is no standard length in golf clubs.

What about swing weight and grip type and size? All this stuff can make a difference in how a person swings a club.

KBS shafts have a balance point unlike many shafts on the market and take longer to get used to for most folks.

hackin

Are they the same as what you were hitting before though? There is no standard length in golf clubs.

What about swing weight and grip type and size? All this stuff can make a difference in how a person swings a club.

KBS shafts have a balance point unlike many shafts on the market and take longer to get used to for most folks.

hackin

Yes the clubs are the same length as before, the grips are standard size, and I believe the swingweight is the same, he built them for me, I would hope he would of check the swingweights to make sure they are the same as before.

Back