I really did like the layout of Old Silo, but conditions were "iffy". It's too bad they haven't improved (in fact, some of those pics look much worse than we saw for the event).
I believe they had major flooding just before the THP event which really hurt the conditions.
Yes, they did. We were told it had flooded 3 times within that month, if I remember right. Lots of potential there, but it seems they aren't able to keep the course in good condition. Hate to see that happen to a good course.

I didn't get to play much this year but should be able to get more rounds in next year. Probably played my last of the year yesterday at Boone's Trace National (I still know it as The Bull) in Richmond. I've really grown to like that course. Seems like every hole is unique in some way giving you something to remember when the round is over.

Hate that I didn't get to meet up with any of the Lexington area folks but that will have to change next year.

Going to propose some type of unofficial KY outing. I may not be able to do the arranging by myself but I'd be very happy to do some of the leg work if others are interested...

With the new year coming I was pondering how to get more rounds in and started looking at Spring Valley Golf Club in Lexington. It's a private course that's literally 3 minutes from work and maybe 25 minutes from home. Anyone in the area have experience or hear anything about the course good or bad? I'm planning on reaching out in March to pay a visit. See if the course has some personality. Some interest that would keep me happy after 20 or 30 rounds of seeing the same fairways and green. Thoughts? Happy New Year Kentucky!

We did a golf trip to Lexington last year and loved it. We played Griffin Gate - the Marriott's course, Boone's Trace, Cherry Blossom, Lassing Pointe, & Gibson Bay. Out of all of them Lassing was our fav and Cherry B our least fav. Great area though!

We did a golf trip to Lexington last year and loved it. We played Griffin Gate - the Marriott's course, Boone's Trace, Cherry Blossom, Lassing Pointe, & Gibson Bay. Out of all of them Lassing was our fav and Cherry B our least fav. Great area though!

Thanks for visiting the area. That's a nice collection you played. I've played Lassing back when I lived in that area. It really is a fun course in my opinion. Cherry Blossom can be great, but it seams to get tons of play and after about May it seems to get run down; especially the greens.

I just moved to Cherry Blossom about 5 months ago. I play it a lot because I live 1 minute from the clubhouse :} If you ever come back to the area I would recommend playing Houston Oaks, Kearney Hill, and Big Blue at the Wildcat Club. Those are the courses in my normal rotation.

Got out in our awesome spring weather today. Played Spring Valley. Came away very impressed. Think I'm going to give being a golf club member a shot. Walked the course and goodness 14, 15, & 16 liked to kill me

Pj where's Spring Valley at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's off georgetown Rd on the north side of lexington. Coming from i75 it's pretty easy to get to.

Edit to say coming from 75 it's easy. Not 5 minutes from the interstate.

Last edited:
Got out in our awesome spring weather today. Played Spring Valley. Came away very impressed. Think I'm going to give being a golf club member a shot. Walked the course and goodness 14, 15, & 16 liked to kill me

Glad to hear you enjoyed Spring Valley. I travel a lot but have an office probably 5 mins from there. For the price, how does it compare to playing Kearney Hill or the Wildcat Courses....which are in the same area and are in the same cost range?

At the Wildcat Courses you would get two courses there...plus about three other courses I think.

Anyone off Monday (President's Day) and want to play golf. I'm thinking Kearney Hill or Golfnow has a tee time at Cherry Blossom @ 9:20am for $21 + fees. Let me know!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you enjoyed Spring Valley. I travel a lot but have an office probably 5 mins from there. For the price, how does it compare to playing Kearney Hill or the Wildcat Courses....which are in the same area and are in the same cost range?

At the Wildcat Courses you would get two courses there...plus about three other courses I think.

I actually still have never made it up to Kearney Hill. I really need to do that this year. I have played the wildcat courses about a dozen times each. Now I have only played Spring Valley twice and both times have been in the 'winter'. Talking to the members it gets somewhat quick on the greens during the season. I was told slightly slower than Houston Oaks summer speeds. I think the conditions will be much better than the UK Club Courses honestly. I think it'll be comparable to Griffin Gate based on what I'm told. One thing that has me curious is the turf they have on the course and how it does compared to the bentgrass that everyone else uses. They have bent greens, but the fairways are rye which I haven't seen around here much. They also have all the bunkers framed in bermuda. Looks really cool right now because the bunker is framed by dormant bermuda which is framed by green rye. Easy to play from now, but come summer I bet it will be a nightmare.

I really did consider the UK Club, but for some reason I really don't care for the wildcat course. Big Blue is great fun though. I was gifted a couple Golfnow gift cards so I'll still be able to see the usual public courses this year every so often.

They're really easy going regarding guests so once the longer days come around I'll get you out there after work since we're both so close to the course and let you see what the course is like.

Anyone off Monday (President's Day) and want to play golf. I'm thinking Kearney Hill or Golfnow has a tee time at Cherry Blossom @ 9:20am for $21 + fees. Let me know!

I'm afraid I won't be able to join you Monday though...

I wish I was off Monday, but I've got to work. We need to get a KY golf outing planned. I have a buddy (who isn't on THP) that would come as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really did consider the UK Club, but for some reason I really don't care for the wildcat course. Big Blue is great fun though. I was gifted a couple Golfnow gift cards so I'll still be able to see the usual public courses this year every so often.

They're really easy going regarding guests so once the longer days come around I'll get you out there after work since we're both so close to the course and let you see what the course is like.

I prefer Big Blue over Wildcat too. My guess is that most people do. It seems to have a better layout.

I road by Spring Hill today on my way home. In the winter you can see into the course pretty good. I'll join you one day in the summer...just let me know when.

hey gents....

From Ohio but in Louisville till Saturday midday. Looking to play Friday.....looking for recommendations or if anyone wants to play or has a connection?

Any new updates on Old Silo? That course would be so awesome if they kept it up. I played it a couple seasons ago I think and a good portion of the bunkers were not kept up and had stuff growing in them.

Any new updates on Old Silo? That course would be so awesome if they kept it up. I played it a couple seasons ago I think and a good portion of the bunkers were not kept up and had stuff growing in them.

I played there in September and the course was in bad shape. You can see my photos on page 2. I don't plan on going back unless someone verifies the course is in good shape.

PJ - Did you get a membership a Spring Valley?

Also, the University Club website says Wildcat course has brand new routing starting 3/15/17. Anyone played it?

PJ - Did you get a membership a Spring Valley?

Also, the University Club website says Wildcat course has brand new routing starting 3/15/17. Anyone played it?
I did. Lots to like. Couple small negatives but overall I'm happy so far. Didn't know they were working on wildcat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

I did. Lots to like. Couple small negatives but overall I'm happy so far. Didn't know they were working on wildcat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Sounds good.

I ended up getting a membership at Cherry Blossom. It's convenient to live 1/4 mile from the clubhouse. It's great to be able to go out an play 4, 6 or 12 holes depending on how much time I have.

I was in Golf Exchange yesterday and saw a sign for demo days on April 29 from 10am -3pm at White Haven Driving Range. It said 10% discount on purchases that day.

I'm not really in the market for any new clubs, but just wanted to share the info.

Looks like Old Silo might be closing soon. I was talking to a guy yesterday from Mt. Sterling and he said it is not looking good. They only have 15 carts left and that there is no one even in he club house. You have to call a number and a greenskeeper comes and opens the door and takes your money to play. He heard it might be closing in the next month or so.

Andover Country Club closed back in February right? I wonder if it will ever reopen.

Looks like Old Silo might be closing soon. I was talking to a guy yesterday from Mt. Sterling and he said it is not looking good. They only have 15 carts left and that there is no one even in he club house. You have to call a number and a greenskeeper comes and opens the door and takes your money to play. He heard it might be closing in the next month or so.

I just saw where Old Silo closed down. I wonder if it will ever open back up.

I played Heritage Hill yesterday. Nice layout and I like all the elevation changes. I heard that course is for sale too :{

Back