I just saw where Old Silo closed down. I wonder if it will ever open back up.

I played Heritage Hill yesterday. Nice layout and I like all the elevation changes. I heard that course is for sale too :{

Wow sad to hear about OS. Hadn't heard that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Making the check in from Detroit. I just found out I'm being transferred to Louisville. How's the golf in Kentucky?

Man we sure let this thread grow some cobwebs...
With the season kinda sorta ending I will say I really enjoyed being a member at Spring Valley. The ability to just show up and play as much or as little as I want or can was awesome. The course was kept in solid condition all year. Ball marks on greens weren't as big an issue as with public courses but it was still an issue on some greens (Wish people would learn). The tight tree lined fairways really forced me to get better off the tee this year. I never got bored of the course which was a concern, but I did get a little tired of being in the trees when I missed a fairway by a few yards :banghead:
Also finally got out to play Kearney Hill and that course is one of my favorites. Really enjoy it.

How's everyone else's seasons finishing up? The courses you played, are they doing well?

Man we sure let this thread grow some cobwebs...
With the season kinda sorta ending I will say I really enjoyed being a member at Spring Valley. The ability to just show up and play as much or as little as I want or can was awesome. The course was kept in solid condition all year. Ball marks on greens weren't as big an issue as with public courses but it was still an issue on some greens (Wish people would learn). The tight tree lined fairways really forced me to get better off the tee this year. I never got bored of the course which was a concern, but I did get a little tired of being in the trees when I missed a fairway by a few yards :banghead:
Also finally got out to play Kearney Hill and that course is one of my favorites. Really enjoy it.

How's everyone else's seasons finishing up? The courses you played, are they doing well?

I played most of my rounds at Cherry Blossom. Like you stated, it is good to have a membership and be able to play as much or as little (5-6 holes). CB was kept it good condition all year, and even got better as the year went on. I played a few times at Houston Oaks and it is always in great condition. I haven't played Kearney Hill since the summer & always feel like it is one of the best courses around....challenging layout and greens.

Sadly has the during the fall I had to travel a lot & didn't get a lot of rounds in October and November :{. I like it to be around 50 degrees before I get out so hopefully we will have a few of those days this winter :}

I played most of my rounds at Cherry Blossom. Like you stated, it is good to have a membership and be able to play as much or as little (5-6 holes). CB was kept it good condition all year, and even got better as the year went on. I played a few times at Houston Oaks and it is always in great condition. I haven't played Kearney Hill since the summer & always feel like it is one of the best courses around....challenging layout and greens.

Sadly has the during the fall I had to travel a lot & didn't get a lot of rounds in October and November :{. I like it to be around 50 degrees before I get out so hopefully we will have a few of those days this winter :}
Had the same issue with work. A project took all my time in October and the time change ended any post work golf before i finished. Glad CB stayed in good shape. I played it a couple times this year and was very happy with it. Never made it down to the bull but that is a favorite of mine also. Maybe next year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

One course that I haven’t seen mentioned that is an all time favorite of mine is Peninsula in Lancaster, Ky. About 20 minutes outside of Lex, down 27. This is a great track, and designed by Pete Dye. I used to live in Lancaster so I played it pretty frequently, always seemed to be easy to get out on, never over crowded, and relatively cheap to play. The course is always in great shape, and well taken care of. The views of the lake, and the overall design of the course definitely make it a place to check out.

One course that I haven’t seen mentioned that is an all time favorite of mine is Peninsula in Lancaster, Ky. About 20 minutes outside of Lex, down 27. This is a great track, and designed by Pete Dye. I used to live in Lancaster so I played it pretty frequently, always seemed to be easy to get out on, never over crowded, and relatively cheap to play. The course is always in great shape, and well taken care of. The views of the lake, and the overall design of the course definitely make it a place to check out.

I've heard about this course and definitely intend to play. Heard there's lots of blind shots. Is this right? May need to meet up with someone experienced with the course and tee it up this year

Yes there are quite a few blind shots. Used to play by myself a lot, and have lost many a ball that appeared to be playable.A lot of thick rough, and tall “hay” type grass that act as hazards, cause you most likely won’t find your ball in there. A lot of good terrain, dog legs, and fun holes. Definitely check it out, it’s off the beaten path, but so worth the trip. I moved away to TN and don’t get home as much as I’d like, but would love to get back and play a couple rounds.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Me and a few guys are heading back to Lexington in June for the 2nd time and I wanted to get some input on places to check out or to avoid that I've listed. Last year we played Boone's Trace, Gibson Bay, Cherry Blossom, Lassing Pointe, and Griffin Gate. We are playing Griffin again so we can get in a round before our flight, but would like to check out new places this year.

We are doing a Bardstown day and I'm looking at My Old KY Home or Bardstown CC. The others are Houston Oaks, Kearney Hill, University Club, Battlefield, and Connemara. We'd like to play 36 one day so if the UK Club isnt worth it are there any 2 that are close enough we could hit both in a day?

Thanks for the help.

Kearney and Houston Oaks are at the top with Griffin imo. Excellent courses

I agree with P.J. on Kearney and HO. Two of the best public courses in the area. As for playing 36 holes, Kearney and HO are approximately about 30 mins apart so it is very doable on one day.

Connemara or Thoroughbred @ High Point?
so far we have booked Kearney, Houston Oaks, Lassing Pointe, and will do Griffin most likely. need 1 more.

Connemara or Thoroughbred @ High Point?
so far we have booked Kearney, Houston Oaks, Lassing Pointe, and will do Griffin most likely. need 1 more.

If you need one more, I don't think I would pick either of those

Big Blue at the UK club is really good. I don't care for Wildcat as much. Plus Big Blue might be 10 minutes from Griffin Gate if that helps

Anyone played Kearney Hill lately? I got out there yesterday & have it say it was in very good shape besides a few bunkers that had water in them. Kearney hosted the Girls Junior PGA Championship last week so I'm sure they had the conditions primed for that. I haven't played much golf this year so I was happy to shoot an 87 there.....which was better than the 99 I shot there back in May. I did have a 'golf first'. I was playing from the white tees and on hole #6 (320 yard par 4) I drive on the green and two-putted for birdie.

Anyone make it out to Barbasol Championship at Keene Trace this week?

Been a few times this year. Really grown to love that course. Glad they take such great care of it. Hope to go Sunday to the barbasol. This storm has to be tearing the course up tho
Anyone played Kearney Hill lately? I got out there yesterday & have it say it was in very good shape besides a few bunkers that had water in them. Kearney hosted the Girls Junior PGA Championship last week so I'm sure they had the conditions primed for that. I haven't played much golf this year so I was happy to shoot an 87 there.....which was better than the 99 I shot there back in May. I did have a 'golf first'. I was playing from the white tees and on hole #6 (320 yard par 4) I drive on the green and two-putted for birdie.

Anyone make it out to Barbasol Championship at Keene Trace this week?

Long time, no post. I got out Sunday at Cherry Blossom on Sunday for my first round in 2020. The course was in wonderful condition for this time of year. As for my game.....shot a 92...which is not bad considering I only played once in 2019.

Anyone else made it out this year?

Long time, no post. I got out Sunday at Cherry Blossom on Sunday for my first round in 2020. The course was in wonderful condition for this time of year. As for my game.....shot a 92...which is not bad considering I only played once in 2019.

@KY Golfer and myself played there a few weeks ago. I played Boone’s Trace National last weekend with @Qwkz51

You should come to the Bourbon Bash at the end of April! There's several of us from the surrounding area getting together.

You should come to the Bourbon Bash at the end of April! There's several of us from the surrounding area getting together.

What is the Bourbon Bash?

What is the Bourbon Bash?

I think we’re doing it in the Lexington area this year

Just saw where Lexington county course are shutting down...https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/fayette-county/article241555601.html

I played at a local course today and people were not following the 6-foot rule. Players were sharing carts and standing around close together. I hate to say it but maybe KY should shut down all courses :(

Just saw where Lexington county course are shutting down...https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/fayette-county/article241555601.html

I played at a local course today and people were not following the 6-foot rule. Players were sharing carts and standing around close together. I hate to say it but maybe KY should shut down all courses :(

I fear it coming. Can we be smart (sensible) enough to take this seriously enough to keep the game viable.

though it seems we’re trying:https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...you-play-golf-during-pandemic-yes/5076401002/

Took the afternoon off and getting in a round at Cherry Blossom. Windy but beautiful day and the course is in great shape for this time of year.

Anyone here been playing much?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back