I love books. I love to hold them and read them. I love the artwork on their covers.

Kevin

Covers?:act-up:
Spoiler
fabio_tex2.jpg

While I will not buy one of these, I would of loved it in school. Im sure text books will soon become available and gone will be the days of lugging around 50 pounds of books.

My uncle wrote a chemistry textbook and it's only being sold to students in a digital format.

Once again, while all that may be true, that was not your statement. You stated that it WOULD NOT replace books and used the argument that albums were better. Albums GOT REPLACED. Just like books are getting replaced now and movies are getting replaced now.

Whether something should or should not be was not your statement and why a few brought up the music to begin with.

I hope that books go away, because I like convenience over clutter. That is just my opinion.

Vinyl got replaced because of convenience not because it didn't sound good. I and most in the music industry will agree that analog sound is far more desirable than digital, but no one will make enough of a case for vinyl to have it make any more than a nostalgic comeback because CD's and digital devices are simply more convenient. So they GOT REPLACED for economic reasons not for "better" reasons.

I feel sorry for anyone who would say that books should be replaced because that means that all you're interested in is a clean and sanitized environment which may be efficient, but it lacks a soul and a personality and I for one couldn't live in such a world.

To each his own, but I'll take a big, clumsy clutter of printed pages over a sterile and impersonal digital device any day.

-JP

I feel sorry for anyone who would say that books should be replaced because that means that all you're interested in is a clean and sanitized environment which may be efficient, but it lacks a soul and a personality and I for one couldn't live in such a world.

But not everybody wants clutter. Some want clean and simple. What you think lacks soul other think is easier, more convenient, and a less expensive option longterm. What you think looks nice in a library, others feel looks crowded, dusty, and clumsy.

But not everybody wants clutter. Some want clean and simple. What you think lacks soul other think is easier, more convenient, and a less expensive option longterm. What you think looks nice in a library, others feel looks crowded, dusty, and clumsy.
Oh ya, I have a couple of milk crates full of old records that just seem to get in the way. I would toss them but they are probably worth too much.

I know what you're saying and not everyone wants to have a world full of "stuff" and I respect that.

I guess what I AM saying is that we are removing more and more of the organic aspects of life and replacing them with zeroes and ones and I think that's sad. Humans are organic creatures and to digitize our world is to take the humanity out of it and once we remove all of the humanity, then what's the point of being here?

Our lives exist on hard drives and video monitors and even simple things like sitting around a table with a deck of cards or a board game have been replaced by things that need batteries and involve all sorts of noises and visual cues. What's wrong with just playing Monopoly on a game board?

And if the power ever goes out, then what?

Technology is fine as long as it's in addition to being human, not instead of it.

-JP

Yet for some reason instead of picking up those books or playing board games you are on the computer yourself typing about that very thing. :confused2:
:act-up:
:alien:

I will choose convenience over stuff any day of the week. We don't like "stuff" filling up the house. Heck, I am even buying GG a small computer for the kitchen for the recipes rather than have cookbooks. Its about convenience. But your thoughts that the Kindle will never replace books, I just cannot see happening. They said the same thing about mail, then music, then video, and now books.

Heck, I am even buying GG a small computer for the kitchen for the recipes rather than have cookbooks.

I can see the convenience of that, but I love my cookbooks. I make notes in them about recipes - what I've changed, substituted or included. I also note what my friends/family have said about the finished product. I even like that I've splashed ingredients on the pages.

I can see the convenience of that, but I love my cookbooks. I make notes in them about recipes - what I've changed, substituted or included. I also note what my friends/family have said about the finished product. I even like that I've splashed ingredients on the pages.

She does too. But could all of that not be transferred to a computer and have a whole lot more shelf space because of it.

The same goes to the Kindle.

Yet for some reason instead of picking up those books or playing board games you are on the computer yourself typing about that very thing. :confused2:
:act-up:
:alien:

LOL!

Touche!

Hey, I never said technology shouldn't exist at all. All I said was that technology shouldn't be the sole means and reason for why or how we exist, is all.

I will choose convenience over stuff any day of the week. We don't like "stuff" filling up the house. Heck, I am even buying GG a small computer for the kitchen for the recipes rather than have cookbooks. Its about convenience. But your thoughts that the Kindle will never replace books, I just cannot see happening. They said the same thing about mail, then music, then video, and now books.

I find this to be a rather odd sentiment from a man who collects Staff Bags like I smoke cigarettes. :D

You won't mind if I bet on books to weather the storm just the same, will you? I think humanity is still capable of drawing a line in the sand and I think that line will be there for books.

-JP

My collection of staff bags is to match the business that we are growing. I assure you, if we did not have THP, I would not have staff bags.

My collection of staff bags is to match the business that we are growing. I assure you, if we did not have THP, I would not have staff bags.

And can you tell your wife that with a straight face? :D

"Look honey, I know I gave them all names and they watch football with me in the den, but they're really just for the business...honest!"

-JP

And can you tell your wife that with a straight face? :D

"Look honey, I know I gave them all names and they watch football with me in the den, but they're really just for the business...honest!"

-JP

My wife is on this site and is a major part of this business. Heck, she has made sure we received certain staff bags. I assure you, if we were not part of THP, they would not be in our house.

JB, have you thought of using them as hood ornaments on your automobiles? You can rotate them on a regular basis. :)

They'd make nice patio planters too.

-JP

The responses here kind of surprise me. I thought there would be more people that like actual books. Perhaps print is dead. If so, I think it's a shame. If that's the way the world goes, there's nothing I can do about it except not like it. Not one little bit. But what do I know? I still like to talk on the phone, use paper maps in my car, have never sent a text, and have an email that is known by maybe 10 to 15 people. I even like my women with no technological advances.

Diane, I'm with you on the cookbooks. They should be dog eared, written in, and hopefully splattered on just a little bit. I have a Rick Bayless cookbook that smells like dried chiles and cumin. It's my favorite. I make killer chile rellenos. My Joy of Cooking is bent, battered, and stained. It's the first gift Mrs. Esox ever bought me after my initial wooing with shrimp and wine. I remember receiving it vividly and thinking this chick is all right. That's over 20 years ago.

Books make very intimate gifts. There's no romance in a Kindle. Practicality is rarely romantic or intimate. It's too, well, practical.

Kevin

The problem with my good cookbooks are that all of the pages have fallen out. I keep a lot of cooking ideas on my lap top but you cant beat an actual cook book with all of the notes and page markers.

The problem with my good cookbooks are that all of the pages have fallen out.

Mine too - the bindings are all broken because I bend them back so they lay flat on the counter when I'm cooking.

More and more of my recipes are on the computer in "Now You're Cooking" software. Whenever I find a new one that I want to keep, I put it in there, and cook from the screen. That said, one of my favorite cookbooks, "The Silver Spoon" (Phaidon Press - Published in 1950, but not translated from Italian to English until 2005), has 1200 pages of Italian recipes, with categories that include ingredients I can't even get here in the states. That book will never leave my kitchen. :eat:

More and more of my recipes are on the computer in "Now You're Cooking" software. Whenever I find a new one that I want to keep, I put it in there, and cook from the screen. That said, one of my favorite cookbooks, "The Silver Spoon" (Phaidon Press - Published in 1950, but not translated from Italian to English until 2005), has 1200 pages of Italian recipes, with categories that include ingredients I can't even get here in the states. That book will never leave my kitchen. :eat:

I have that cookbook too - I love it and use it often.

I have that cookbook too - I love it and use it often.

That's the kind of book I'm talking about. You can't give a beautiful and personal book like that as a gift as a Kindle download. You might as well buy a toaster.

I like the idea of that book. I'm going to look for it and give it at Christmas as a romantic gift.

To myself.

Kevin

I can't figure out how I'd curl up in bed with a kindle. And all too often when I'm reading, I want to flip bag a few pages to remind myself who that character was, or to see how one statement correlates with something earlier, or whatever.

I like the smell of books. I love wandering through libraries or bookstores and seeing what catches my eye.

You have got to be kidding me. THey also watch what movies you rent and shows you record, so uh oh, I better not record that LPGA tournament or they will think I am a spy for Asia.

First it was that the Kindle will never replace books. Then it was that the Kindle might, but it shouldnt. Then it was that the Kindle probably could but that books are better.
Now its that Big Brother is watching by downloads.

What if I told you that we forward your posts to the govt and they are monitoring you. Would you stop posting nonsense?
:alien::confused2:

You have got to be kidding me. THey also watch what movies you rent and shows you record, so uh oh, I better not record that LPGA tournament or they will think I am a spy for Asia.

First it was that the Kindle will never replace books. Then it was that the Kindle might, but it shouldnt. Then it was that the Kindle probably could but that books are better.
Now its that Big Brother is watching by downloads.

What if I told you that we forward your posts to the govt and they are monitoring you. Would you stop posting nonsense?
:alien::confused2:

Hey, I'm just showing you what turned up on the web.

The Amazon thing really happened and it just makes you think is all.

Or at least IT SHOULD.

As you may recall, there was quite a controversy a while back about the government monitoring what books people checked out of the library (you could look that up too, if you don't believe me) which caused quite a stir and got a lot of people screaming, so don't tell me it can't happen.

-JP

Back