Latest Thoughts on Charlie Woods

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
I didn’t see a recent thread, having done a search. With Charlie Woods having won the 14/15 age division of the Notah Begay III National Junior Golf Championship, what are everyone’s thoughts on how he is developing and his ceiling?

i met with attorney not that long ago. her son competes in golf tournaments that charlie also competes in. at that time she said charlie rarely placed; and it was obvious he wasn't one of the better players. she and her family are big tiger fans, so it was just more a statement of fact given the tournaments they play. sounds like charlie is progressing in his skills. i think his swing is beautiful, and it would be such a cool story if he makes a splash on the big tour someday.

Charlie is a great golfer at 14. My son played a lot of sports including D1 in college. Many of the kids that were the best at 14 weren’t at 16, 18 or 21.

Golf may be a bit different but all kids develop at different rates. We had a kid at my club who played above Keegan Bradley on his high school team. The kid had a good college career and a few years on the PGA Tour but obviously not the career that Keegan has had and is selling insurance now.

At this point I would say Charlie likely will be a solid college golfer. I think for golf 14 is getting close to projecting a college golfer. Recruiters are certainly starting to look. How he projects beyond that is impossible to tell.

All I know his wing is almost a carbon copy of Tiger and a bit or Rory...poetry in motion! My guess is he is on a good track, learning by mistakes. Don't want to peak too early and burn yourself out.

If he made the tour, I’d find his journey more impressive than his fathers to be honest. I live in an area that has many large estates owned by developers, professionals etc. watching how their kids act, and dine from the silver spoon, I’m always impressed when a younger generation has the will and desire to succeed on their own.

Tiger certainly has his faults (don’t we all?), but he seems to be a devoted father and is guiding Charlie well.

I think the story would be great if Charlie were to win on the tour one day. However, it has to be hard when you are the son of one of the greats. Just so much pressure to be the next in the line.

I hope he gets to enjoy some of his childhood before that pressure kicks in.

I think the weight of expectations on him must be crazy.

Hopefully he keeps golfing, enjoying the game, and having fun!

I would hate for my kid to have that level of pressure on him.

I think the story would be great if Charlie were to win on the tour one day. However, it has to be hard when you are the son of one of the greats. Just so much pressure to be the next in the line.

I hope he gets to enjoy some of his childhood before that pressure kicks in.
This is part of where I would hope and believe that Tiger can provide so much help. If anyone would understand what it’s like to lose a childhood, it would be Tiger and I am sure that many psychologists would say that his losing a childhood are part of what led to some of his choices later on (again, I am not judging). I would think that Tiger understands all of this and is balancing Charlie’s exposure and protection. From what little I see, it seems like it is being balanced pretty well.

I think the weight of expectations on him must be crazy.

Hopefully he keeps golfing, enjoying the game, and having fun!

I would hate for my kid to have that level of pressure on him.
I cant even imagine the kind of pressure he is going to place on himself as he progresses in the game.

I cant even imagine the kind of pressure he is going to place on himself as he progresses in the game.
Some seem to manage through it. The Manning brothers come to mind, although I certainly am not saying that they endured anywhere near the spotlight that a child of Tiger Woods would.

I didn’t see a recent thread, having done a search. With Charlie Woods having won the 14/15 age division of the Notah Begay III National Junior Golf Championship, what are everyone’s thoughts on how he is developing and his ceiling?
He actually won a regional to qualify for Championship Nov 4th

My experience with young athletes is that some of them get real good early and never get better. Some are all right early then get real good later. Some are real good early and get continue developing. 14 is too young to be making predictions about.

Last edited:
With his great record so far, I thought he would be ranked higher. He is 664 in his age bracket.

I hope to see him do well. Will definitely follow him if he makes it to the tour!

I think he’s developing well - the real thing will be how much does he want it and how much pressure does he put on himself due to Tiger

Many of the previous greats had kids who played and were alloted unlimited access to options which would allow them to succeed. Who of them did? So Charlie has a huge hill to climb but thus far he seems up to the task.

Many of the previous greats had kids who played and were alloted unlimited access to options which would allow them to succeed. Who of them did? So Charlie has a huge hill to climb but thus far he seems up to the task.
It is true. Prodigies do not tend to breed prodigies.

As long as he's enjoying the game and the work he's doing, great!
Just don't get burn't out.
Other than that I don't care....
Be a kid.

Swing looks great. He’s got a tonne of attitude and swagger already. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see him doing well on the LGA tour in the not too distant future.

This reminds me of a story about one of Walter Hagen's sons, a decent golfer. Someone said to him, "You don't hit it like your father did," to which the young Hagen replied, "No, but neither did anyone else."

I couldn't care less about Charlie Woods. The kid everyone should be watching is Xavier Perez. That kid would eat Charlie's lunch head-to-head.

😬 😓 😬😓😬😓

Sucks for anyone to put up a 12 in a tournament round. Even more so when the entire golf world is gonna see and critique it.

I bet he takes quite a bit from this experience. Stepped up several levels of competition. Probably wanted to test his game and where he was at both mentally and physically. Getting into situations when it's not the norm and out of your comfort level is a great way to test and evaluate all of that.

Back