Review Lean Lock Blade Putter - APA Model

TJRyska

#LivingtheDream
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.5
Good evening,

I wanted to share some feedback on the Lean Lock Blade Putter - APA Model. I came across this putter last fall when I entered a giveaway on Twitter. I didn't win the giveaway, but reached out to Brian Tennyson and mentioned that I'm an avid member of THP and wondered if he'd be interested in sending me one to test out and review.

He sent me one and I've been using it now for the last six months. I wanted to share my thoughts on the Lean Lock putter. Brian has appeared on the THP Podcast and discussed his putting system ().

IMG_2651.JPG

For those who don't know, the putter has a long shaft like an armlock putter. The length of the shaft is based on your height.

However, instead of bracing the shaft against the inside of your forearm, you brace the shaft on the outside of your forearm (facing the hole). I've played around with some armlock putters and this approach may seem awkward, but for me it was much easier to use. It felt very comfortable quickly as I used it each and every day. It really didn't take much to get comfortable. Plus, Brian provides an easy to read/understand book and an app with helpful videos to help you get a hang of it.

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

The face is milled and has a great feel to it. I've really enjoyed using it and I've noticed that my lag putting has improved. Also, the short putts are falling more often. I have been going to my local course two to three times a week during my lunch break to putt around and I feel much more confident in the 5-7 foot range as well.

My goal with putting has been to find a way to putt by taking my wrists out of the equation and this seems to be the ticket. I love testing out equipment and this Lean Lock putter has been a blast and it sure is easy to use. Recently, my Dad visited and tried it out. He laughed at first when he saw me using it but after hitting a few putts he was hooked as well. He's thinking of getting a Lean Lock mallet to try out.

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

My only two complaints are the headcover has velcro and the black finish seems to really show fingerprints and smudges. Might just be me, but it seems like I'm wiping it off alot to make sure it looks nice and clean.

The Lean Lock putter comes in four models (two mallets and two blades). They cost $250 and come with a book, videos, and headcover. So, give it a try if you like trying new things or have been struggling with your putting and want to try something new. I think you'll enjoy it.

I did record a video with some feedback as well if you are interested ().

Look at you reaching out to companies for reviews. I think this makes you an influencer now.

I remember seeing this thing. I go back and forth on the concept

Look at you reaching out to companies for reviews. I think this makes you an influencer now.

I remember seeing this thing. I go back and forth on the concept
Well if we ever end up playing together, I’ll definitely make sure you get a chance to try it out.

Remove head covers from start. Wear shoes in demo. Thanks for sharing.

Remove head covers from start. Wear shoes in demo. Thanks for sharing.
Haha yeah my wife and I have a thing about shoes in the house. Was going to record the video outside but my neighbor was mowing his lawn when I was about to start. 😂🤦🏼‍♂️

Thanks for sharing. I am an armlock guy so I find this pretty interesting.

Thanks for sharing. I am an armlock guy so I find this pretty interesting.
Yeah I've only used an armlock a few times here and there at golf stores, but would love for someone you uses an armlock putter on the regular to try this out and let us know what you think.

Played nine holes yesterday. Had 15 putts. No three putts but didn’t sink anything outside 10 feet. Putts were rolling well and had some close misses on two putts in the 15 foot range. Overall, not a bad day with the putter.

Bumping this mostly for my own laziness and so I can find it in the next 24hrs.

Initial feedback: well, it’s certainly a different setup. Ball is way further back, and the grip is way stronger. I know I have the grip wrong, because my left wrist is not happy with the angle it’s in. I’m definitely going to need to do some setup work until I find what doesn’t put stress on the inner wrist thumb area tendon.

That being said, distance control is pretty damn solid feeling when it feels like the right shoulder is driving the stroke. Made a few snapping short putts, and drained a few long ones. It won’t be in the bag today, just because I’m not in the mood to deal with wrist pain and fumbling around with it while on the green. That’s not a shot at the putter, that’s me just wanting to figure out mechanics while trying to play too. I figure a couple hours of messing with it at home, and I should have it worked out.

Initial thought is maybe don’t feel like it’s pinned against my forearm the entire time. But, I thought it was supposed to be? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Initial feedback: well, it’s certainly a different setup. Ball is way further back, and the grip is way stronger. I know I have the grip wrong, because my left wrist is not happy with the angle it’s in. I’m definitely going to need to do some setup work until I find what doesn’t put stress on the inner wrist thumb area tendon.

That being said, distance control is pretty damn solid feeling when it feels like the right shoulder is driving the stroke. Made a few snapping short putts, and drained a few long ones. It won’t be in the bag today, just because I’m not in the mood to deal with wrist pain and fumbling around with it while on the green. That’s not a shot at the putter, that’s me just wanting to figure out mechanics while trying to play too. I figure a couple hours of messing with it at home, and I should have it worked out.

Initial thought is maybe don’t feel like it’s pinned against my forearm the entire time. But, I thought it was supposed to be? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Agree on the distance control. It is so easy lag putting. I think I keep it on my forearm the entire time, but I also don't have any wrist pain while using it. Could your left wrist be turned too far to the right?

Interesting read thanks for sharing. I would love to try this but want one in my hands before committing to buying one.

Interesting read thanks for sharing. I would love to try this but want one in my hands before committing to buying one.
I get that. They do have try before you buy program!

Agree on the distance control. It is so easy lag putting. I think I keep it on my forearm the entire time, but I also don't have any wrist pain while using it. Could your left wrist be turned too far to the right?
100% likely, I just didn’t want to mess with it with a bit of betting on the line.

FWIW, my last shotscope stats had me at -6.7 putting.

I’m basically Scottie ******* Scheffler out there

100% likely, I just didn’t want to mess with it with a bit of betting on the line.

Watching the videos on the app really helped me figure out how to grip it properly. I’m a visual learner.

Looking forward to hearing what you think once you’ve used it a little more.

I have the LeanLock Mallet APA. Have been using it for a few months. Last time out I had 25 putts. Made every putt I thought was a should make, and all my lags were within 3 feet, many within 1.

My Shotscope putting stats are all messed up because I forget to do pin collect. It isn't something I can rely on.

Took this out Saturday for 27 and came away really impressed by it. Let’s talk about the sound though. That, is less than ideal. We’ve come accustomed to milled putter faces having a certain click to them on contact. Yeah, this doesn’t sound like that. The sound is off and while it’s bothersome, it can be overlooked.

27 holes, I had 1 3 putt and based on how I hit it, I knew it was likely. Front pin and you catch a downwind flier, enjoy your cross country putt on greens that are about 2ft slower than you’re used to.

Other than some awful early touch on one hole, the rest of the day was pretty surprising. Had 34 putts on the 18, which I acknowledge is way too damn many. When I was missing greens, I wasn’t leaving myself anything close either. That being said, it was surprisingly easy to hit and hold my line with this. Not sure if it was cause the putter was against my forearm, or contact and speed was right shoulder driven. Didn’t really matter to me once I was in gimme ranges.

Overall, it warrants another round at worst case. Granted, my course is aerating this week so any round I play won’t be at home, I’ll still find somewhere to play I’m sure.

Took this out Saturday for 27 and came away really impressed by it. Let’s talk about the sound though. That, is less than ideal. We’ve come accustomed to milled putter faces having a certain click to them on contact. Yeah, this doesn’t sound like that. The sound is off and while it’s bothersome, it can be overlooked.

27 holes, I had 1 3 putt and based on how I hit it, I knew it was likely. Front pin and you catch a downwind flier, enjoy your cross country putt on greens that are about 2ft slower than you’re used to.

Other than some awful early touch on one hole, the rest of the day was pretty surprising. Had 34 putts on the 18, which I acknowledge is way too damn many. When I was missing greens, I wasn’t leaving myself anything close either. That being said, it was surprisingly easy to hit and hold my line with this. Not sure if it was cause the putter was against my forearm, or contact and speed was right shoulder driven. Didn’t really matter to me once I was in gimme ranges.

Overall, it warrants another round at worst case. Granted, my course is aerating this week so any round I play won’t be at home, I’ll still find somewhere to play I’m sure.
Have you watched the videos or instruction about the setup and stroke?

Have you watched the videos or instruction about the setup and stroke?
Several times, yes. It’s almost been a nightly ritual, especially setup.

Several times, yes. It’s almost been a nightly ritual, especislly setup.
How uncomfortable for you was it at first? Or was it less so than many expect?

How uncomfortable for you was it at first? Or was it less so than many expect?
Before I watched the setup video, it was a bit uncomfortable as I had the shaft on the inside of the forearm. Oops. One video watch and I fixed that.

Weirdest feeling was the shoulders being open. I felt like I was going to cut across every putt I had. Feel isn’t real, I had numerous tight end over end rolls. I just had to get over it and kinda reprogram myself for lack of a better term.

Speed control was only an issue on the practice green. I’m used to my greens having some speed to them, so them being a little shaggy before they were aerated messed with me and what I’m used to seeing on certain putts. On the course, I just had that one 3 putt that I thought would be way faster in the downhill part of the putt and it was not. Second putt had a chance, it just snapped off at the end a touch more than I saw, but it looked good the entire way. Most of my putting the last two months has been not that.

One of my buddies mentioned the sound to me as well when I was playing with him and using it the first time around. I didn’t think much of it but I also use a Ping G425Max so maybe my hearing it shot after using that thing. 😂

One of my buddies mentioned the sound to me as well when I was playing with him and using it the first time around. I didn’t think much of it but I also use a Ping G425Max so maybe my hearing it shot after using that thing. 😂
They use a steel typically used in irons. Doesn’t make a massive difference, but the sound is just a bit higher than I would have thought.

It’s not fungo bat loud, so it’s tolerable.

After a few more rounds, I’m getting more comfortable with this putter and style of putting. Most of the time, I’m lagging it fairly well. That being said, I had 3 3 putts today that were all so damn annoying. Hit my first putt to 3-4 feet, but right near the fall line. Cool cool. What happens? Well if you hit it left, it breaks left. Hit it right, it breaks right. Hit the center? Nah that broke too. Son of a b.

That being said, had four birdies and a par save of 20ft. Win some, lose some I guess.

Back