Lexi Thompson on Golf Digest

• Great cover, no problem with it at all!

Votes: 66 41.8%
  • Don't like it, could have conveyed their message in a different manner.

Votes: 33 20.9%
  • Don't really care either way.

Votes: 59 37.3%

• Total voters

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
Lexi Thompson has changed alot, it seems like just a year ago she looked like a teenager.

I love it!

The GD covers have been awful for a while. The recent one with Rory was laughable. Yet this seems to be their MO now, as they keep trying outlandish stuff to stay relevant.

Lexi Thompson has changed alot, it seems like just a year ago she looked like a teenager.

This is my thought too, I honestly didn't recognize her at all when I saw the cover. I saw her less than a year ago and she still looked like she was 15 to me. Makes me wonder how much photoshop they used.

I don't understand why? I'll be honest. I'll watch LPGA events if the ladies are attractive. If not, I'd rather watch an old western. Sex does and will always sell. She's attractive, she's worked hard and she's entitled to do as she pleases. It's one of those things in life: if you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't see how it hurts any player on the LPGA.

Golf Digest has been going down the "sex sells" route for quite a while now.

I just don't think it sends the best message to her fans, i.e. my daughter.

As a father of two young girls, all I can say is thank goodness they are too young to think of Lexi Thompson as a role model as I would have a lot of explaining to do with this cover. These last two Golf Digest covers almost seem as though they are trying to compete with the ESPN body issue or something. There are definitely much more tasteful ways to convey athleticism than this cover.

I don't understand why? I'll be honest. I'll watch LPGA events if the ladies are attractive. If not, I'd rather watch an old western. Sex does and will always sell. She's attractive, she's worked hard and she's entitled to do as she pleases. It's one of those things in life: if you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't see how it hurts any player on the LPGA.

Definitely agree that it is her choice for this. She has worked very hard in her career and definitely deserves all the success that comes with it but I do believe that a key ambassador like Lexi Thompson would understand that with her following of younger girls that some parents might find this offensive or not what they want their daughter exposed to. Me personally, if I had a daughter wouldn't find this offensive because I could definitely see using this a positive motivator.

I don't quite understand the photo they used either, other than trying to scrape up extra sales just because of the sexy cover. I will say, it's a lot better that they have an LPGA player on there, than say Paulina Gretsky.

I think it's a bit too racey, she's a beautiful women but there's other ways to showcase it. Looks like a playboy or SI swimsuit insert, not an article about a top women's golfer. As young fans of hers see this they will get the wrong impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they issue is focused on her workouts, why couldn't she have kept her sports bra on for the cover photo? That would have eliminated this entire discussion.

But that's exactly the point - nobody would be talking about the Golf Digest cover....

I follow her on Instagram and she works her butt off in the gym and is always posting pics. If you work for it you should be able to show it off. Saw where they have one with Rory also and he is RIPPED

There was an article on SI that I read yesterday, not sure when it was posted, about Lexi. It hinted at this change in direction. But this went a little further than *I* expected. It doesn't bother me, that's the way the world is now.

I follow her on Instagram and she works her butt off in the gym and is always posting pics. If you work for it you should be able to show it off. Saw where they have one with Rory also and he is RIPPED
Yup, as far as I'm concerned, if you got it flaunt it. If that makes people think she's less of a role model then it's their loss.

I get the daughter comments, I have one myself. She isn't into golf so maybe that why I don't really care about the cover. I got a free golf digest sub with an order I placed with globalgolf and I don't think I have opened any of them. Maybe if it were a publication I actually cared about or enjoyed I would have an opinion one way or the other....but I don't.

And I don't think she is overly attractive on that cover pic either. but I digress

Instagram, IMO, is different is that you only see her pictures if you choose to. This is a national magazine that will be on display everywhere.

If they issue is focused on her workouts, why couldn't she have kept her sports bra on for the cover photo? That would have eliminated this entire discussion.

But that's exactly the point - nobody would be talking about the Golf Digest cover....

My sentiments exactly. If its supposedly about fitness, show it. I doubt she works out topless.

The point of these covers is to flaunt golfer's physiques, is it not? Just like the ESPN Body Mag thing? I really fail to see a problem with what is on this cover.

Instagram, IMO, is different is that you only see her pictures if you choose to. This is a national magazine that will be on display everywhere.

Very true. But I think it says a lot about her confidence to do a photo like that, which will be on display everywhere.

I find that lately GD has gone in a different direction that what they have done in the past. If this keeps up I will not renew my subscription when it comes due.

Honestly I think it's in poor taste. Typical of GD to push the limits as we've seen of late. It's poor decision for Lexi, and the LPGA. Sexuality is what it is, but pushing it this way brings a negative light to the professionalism of the LPGA IMO. I'm sure this will bring some freaks out at their events, after watch how some acted at the Womens Open last year.

Holy airbrush, but GD is getting what they want out of the cover. People talking about GD.

If they used a bikini shot would it be different? I see no difference, good for Lexi.

Back