ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat: Chris Voshall with Mizuno Golf

Because I don't know, I "Assume" that most golf companies "Outsource" club head manufacturing, however I get the impression that Mizuno produces and manufactures at least their Iron Heads, Wedges and Putters, is that truly that case?

Most completely do. Ours is a bit unique because we forge all of our heads at a place called Chuo in Hiroshima, Japan. While technically they are not part of Mizuno, we have an old school handshake agreement that they will only produce our stuff. Our relationship with Chuo is really unique and valuable and stems from long term friendships. It's pretty cool.

Is all the grinding/finishing process for irons still done in Japan by hand? Does that impact or improve the QC of Mizuno over other competitors that manufacture and finish in China or Malaysia?

She was not and still isn't...I'm working her over though. Was your switch over intentional or it just happened?

Mine was intentional, better health, and since i am the head cook in our home, I had to learn ALOT. Protein alternatives have made great leaps in the last 10 years, with Beyond meats, Quorn Products, she still says the Impossible Burger is too close....

Sound has pretty consistently been a big story from the consumer perspective regarding Mizuno's MP lineup.

Can you go into a bit of detail depth on how critical that element is on design, and how often something has to get scrapped purely on audible change?

Sound is massive. It really is a ton of feel. While stuff used to get scrapped, we have learned lots of ways to be smarter on the front end of design and simulations so that little is scrapped now.
A cool way I like to describe the aspects of feel:
Geometry dictates sound (the actual character of the sound)
Process and material dictate duration of that sound (how long or how loud that sound will be) (forged vs. cast)
We believe that more sound and more feedback is always better. It's our job to make sure that the character of that sound is pleasing.

How much has your driver swing speed increased since beginning the Super Speed program?

So I've only been doing it for a few weeks, but I have measured a head speed at 113 (opening day I was 103). While it's not a true "golf swing" at 113, I am seeing some increases for sure. And i've seen it in ball speed already.

Most completely do. Ours is a bit unique because we forge all of our heads at a place called Chuo in Hiroshima, Japan. While technically they are not part of Mizuno, we have an old school handshake agreement that they will only produce our stuff. Our relationship with Chuo is really unique and valuable and stems from long term friendships. It's pretty cool.
How many years perfecting their craft before someone becomes a Meister Craftsman at Yoro MT?

Really cool question. Social Media is great for a company like ours, espeically. It levels the playing field. It's not about much money you spend, it's about the stories and what people want to see and how they react. The ability for a video to "go viral" (maybe a bad word today :-/ ) has allowed us to grow our voice while not taking away from the money we spend on product.
I love the social media age because it give a voice to the smaller guys.
Im playing catch up, but I love this response.

What sets Mizuno irons apart? Is it feel? Technology? Precision? Design? I guess another way to think about this is how does Mizuno want to be viewed in the industry?

I want us to be viewed as PRODUCT FIRST.
Every bit of our design is delivered around how we can get the best performance.
We don't just look for new, flashy things, we are looking at the entire package.
The look, the feel, the materials, the manufacturing process, the quality control, the customabillity, everything.
When people thing of Mizuno I want them to think of performance.

This is incredible.

I'll admit I don't track much at all on Mizuno balls. Love your irons. Learning to appreciate your drivers, fairways, and rescues. Surprisingly interested in the mcraft-2 putter from two shop rolling sessions. But Mizuno golf balls, not so much. What am I missing?

Golf balls are so personal. They are built around trust of knowing that they'll do exactly what you want then to. That's why you don't see nearly as many Golf Ball tinkerers are you do Golf Club tinkerers.
That being said, Try the Mizuno ball, it just might surprise you!

I know you have been with Mizuno for quite awhile, Can you speak or read Japanese?

Where did Mizuno blue start?

Mizuno and Blue have been together for much longer than me. On the club site though, it's a funny story.
About 10 years ago I pitched doing a Blue wedge and basically got laughed out of the room.
About 3 years after that, I pitched it again, we tried it, and it crushed!
#ToldYaSo haha

Be honest, wouldn't it be better if they all could be Mizuno Blue? 😎20200120_103452.jpg

Do you yourself play a Mizuno ball? If so which one?

Also is it true that if you work in the golf industry you never get to golf?

I do play the Mizuno ball. Played the RB TourX all year last year. Currently I am working on testing some prototypes we are trying out and giving feedback on those. (They're good!)

About not playing golf in the industry...I try to make myself the exception that rule. ha!

No chance on Vegan. I am all about some Cheese dip!
Follow up on this, what's your feeling about sharp cheddar with apple pie? Yay or nay?

How has the marketing aspect of golf changed? With so many golf youtubers now getting deals with golf companies, how is that new avenue for getting information to the consumer changing the use of advertising dollars. What brings in more revenue, a brand loyal youtuber or a pro playing a bag of Mizuno clubs?

FANTASTIC question. There is zero doubt the influence that youtubers have. Starting the Mark Crossfield, then Rick Shiels, the TXG guys, Peter Finch. They are huge.
There is a constant internal debate about the value of them vs. Tour players. I know my opinion, but I'll keep that secret. ha!

As far as the level of forgiveness of the EZ, maybe, but the look and name, we likely will not go back to that philosophy. In general, that was bit of us going away from what we are, which is a company that tried to pack as much forgiveness as possible into as small a package as possible. With the EZ line, we ignored part 2.
Maybe the absolute best answer in this whole thread!

What's in your bag?

ST200 Driver (Fuji Protytpe Shaft thanks to my boy Jeremy Butler at Fuji)
ST190 3 and 5 woods (Diamana Blue Boards)
MP-H5 3&4 (Dynamic Gold AMT S300)
JPX919 Tour 5-9 (Dynamic Gold AMT S300)
T7 Wedges Blue 46, 51, 58 (Dynamic Gold AMT S300)
M Craft Type 2 Black
All with the sweet Tour Velvet White Cord from by boy Steve

Back