CONTEST Live Update Thread - The 2024 GOAT Cup with Callaway Golf

I don't know that I have ever snap hooked and duffed a hybrid at the same time like I did off that tee hahaha
Hahaha yeah that was not your best swing, luckily it didn’t cost ya the hole! Couple of double bogeys to start, just how we drew it up 😂

Finley was actually the one playing the music in his cart, he just added some Tswift to the queue at my request. I’d like to think it boosted me more than hurt him haha

JB said he wouldn’t recognize Tswift if she walked into his house 🤯
Before NFL season. They showed her enough during football games that I would recognize her. Wouldn’t know a single song though

It’s a truly amazing place and gonna be a blast, looking forward to following along! Don’t forget to feed Jose and Jack after #6!
Fun follow. You killed it.

Are you Des Moines native? I'm down there a few times a year, if so I'll need to see if we can get in a round.

Glad you're home safe and sound though - nothing like the airlines being less than ideal.
Yessir lived here most my life besides a few years on east coast after college, and for sure send me a message next time you’ll be down here and let’s get a round in!

Favorite hole? The taco truck hole. It was hole 9, I believe. I liked it because they'll give you a taco regardless of what you score on the hole.

Least favorite hole? 1-8 and 10-18....they don't have tacos on those holes. What's that about?

Memorable shot? there's a few:
1) @Bunker Snot paying off my drive in shamble with a lovely up and down for bird on 4
2) @JB hit a ridiculous approach on 11 in the shamble after we tied it up, heading into the back 9. It trickled down the ridge perfectly. Was the start of their dominant run. What a jerk.
3) @hedley_lamarr08 had a few ridiculous shots. The near chip-in dunk on hole 15 for bird rattled me pretty well in singles. What a match....oh and his 30-ish-foot putt to win the shamble was class.
4) All of @dmehrl23 drives.
5) flops off the tight stuff

Favorite aspect of the course? The Chicken Sandwich.

EDIT: the best shot, honestly, was our caddy Chris with a hybrid punch from no mans land somehow knocking it within 2-3 feet. Dude was a legend and absolute character.

Apologies for the slow response time. My boss told me I need to get back to work. He seems unhappy for some reason. Not sure what happened.

Anyone have any additional questions? Happy to give my POV as a rookie.
This is amazing hahaha hope the boss’s mood lightens up next week

Also I admire your confidence in your flop shot, never seen someone so willing to try flops off hard pan 😂

Before NFL season. They showed her enough during football games that I would recognize her. Wouldn’t know a single song though
T-swizzle isn't on your play list?

Favorite hole?

Least favorite hole?

Memorable shot?

Favorite aspect of course?
Favorite Hole: I liked the left to right doglegs, they were fitting my eye well and was fun to try and cut the corner on them. 4, 5, 13, and 16. I’d say 13 was my favorite tho. I didn’t hit my best drives on that one so forced lay ups but the bunkering and elevation/slopes to the green were really cool.

Least favorite hole: just cause I have to pick one, I’d say #9. Only played it once and was just so-so, visually didn't do much for me

Memorable shot: long putts I hit on #2 and #4 in first round gave me confidence in the flatstick rest of the event. Finleys hole out from bunker to save par was something special. Pirates hybrid chip up and down to win hole 13 in shamble from the tree behind the green was an all timer

Favorite aspect of course: bunkering around the course was very cool visually and presented some tough challenges off tee and approach. I found more greenside bunkers than fairway bunkers but all around was very happy with my bunker play. Everything about Briggs is amazing though

Saving up for truck stop tacos, maybe.
I ate 3 plates the night before. I was going to the bush for an emergency drop off mid round. :LOL:

All I know is there is not enough gravy in any of these breakfast pics. The nerves must be running high this morning.
I'm a flour gravy guy. Corn meal gravy is "tolerable" to me. 6 pieces of bacon, two scoops of eggs and some yogurt is enough for anyone lol

hedley and we are having fun
some of the most fun I have ever had related to a sport. The golf and the rides were really fun this week

I love how this course sets up, are most holes are fairly friendly off the tee?
YES.. for the most part this course is really friendly as far as finding balls. Obviously the rough and the thick rough are tough but it is usually playable

YES.. for the most part this course is really friendly as far as finding balls. Obviously the rough and the thick rough are tough but it is usually playable
And most driving holes are wide enough to accommodate slight misses from the tee. And the light rough was no penalty as long as you avoided the really think stuff.

No, we will keep that info off the forum for now. I would call it more proto to pre release, currently.
I probably should have called it Tour Only instead of pre release… my bad.

Wasn't able to follow along live at all this week with some craziness at work. Just finished reading up to the point that Team Brennan takes the ring. What a fantastic way to kick off the Experience Season.

Team Brennan:
@dmehrl23
@Bunker Snot
@PiratePenguin
@MBrennanCG

Fantastic job out there this week. Looked at the odds at kicked them in the teeth!!!!! A couple of members of Team Finley were pretty cocksure of a win this week (along with a majority of the odds pickers). Way to stare the whole situation down and take the ring. Congratulations, gentlemen!

Great job of everyone keeping the thread updated. You've set a hell of a mark to match for Experiences going forward.

@JB
@hedley_lamarr08
@JasonFinleyCG
@JDax

Well played this weekend, my friends. There's no drama without a worthy adversary. You all filled the role extraordinarily this week. Super, super fun to follow along with and an incentive for revenge if we are privileged enough to experience another Goat Cup (maybe the answer is later in this thread and I'll just have to keep reading.....).

Thanks to everyone involved (including our awesome forum members). O.K. back to reading.........

I guess I can ask the rest of the gentlemen too:

@JasonFinleyCG @JB @JDax @hedley_lamarr08

@MBrennanCG @PiratePenguin @dmehrl23 @Bunker Snot

Favorite hole?

Least favorite hole?

Memorable shot?

Favorite aspect of course?

Favorite hole: 18, I think. Such a great vista on that tee box, multiple holes in view, trees, fields, ridges, the clubhouse. Being from a flat part of Florida I almost never see more than one, maybe two holes, from anywhere, and most are surrounded by houses. To see NO houses (except on one side of the 11th hole, but those are NICE mansions), and all the terrain and elevation, is really nice. Also played 18 pretty well both times I think.

Least favorite hole: Visually, the 1st. Tee shot to a empty horizon, not visually very interesting. Playing it? Pick a par 3. Long and hard and if I played them all 100 times I'd double or worse each of them probably 40-50% of the time.

Memorable shot: In singles after a disaster on 10 (starting hole), I thin-heeled my drive short, topped a three wood, pushed a 5 wood just far enough right just off the fairway to have an oak tree branch maybe in play. For more 4th from around 140 I hit a 3/4 7 iron with a perfect draw right at the pin, landed a few feet short, released to about 15 ft. Won the hole to get back to even and settled down from there to just play and enjoy and turned it around. Or any of the 8,000 times I used the Callaway Pre-Owned Paradym 6 hybrid to chip, hit full shots out of bunkers to 20 ft, etc. That thing was a life saver.

Favorite aspect of the course: How natural it all is. Going out early, no other people, (almost) no houses, no road noise, just course and birds and golf. Very natural bunkering. The bluebonnets and other wild flowers blooming between the holes. Much prettier in person than comes across even in good photos. Also much more slope than pictures really show.

The ball: Like most i played the Chrome Tour. It does everything great. Very solid feel. Not hard, but not the softest ball ever. Does AMAZING in the wind. In singles we got to the long par 3 third and the pin was playing 190 into about a two club wind. I took one club extra and bounced through the back of the green. We all did. Cross wind didn't really affect it unless mis-hit in same direction. The greens are still pretty firm from their renovation, but the ball would still try to check up when you gave it spin even when the green didn't want to let it. Love the triple track. May need to get some True Track for the #garagesim if nothing else.

As for the "chirping at Finley" in Alt Shot, I honestly for the life of me do not remember what that may have been! I know after we tied it up on 6, when we got to 7 I hit a perfect drive about as hard as I could hit a drive and gave a, "Come on, LFG!" or something to my teammate @Bunker Snot but that's all I can think of. If anyone else remembers me saying something different, please share. I'd love to know! Not that there wasn't some friendly banter happening from time to time. All in good fun. It was a great group.

@hedley_lamarr08 with a great callaway super hybrid both he and @MBrennanCG grinding to get it in the hole
This shot was 225 to the front into a 2 club wind. The ball hits on the upslope about 2 inches green side and kicks in. If it was 6 inches to the left it would have been a pretty short putt. Golf: a game of inches.:)

Back