Loft jacking vs. score jacking?

Right, I totally understand what you are saying and totally agree with and appreciate "standards".

If I ask somebody what they squat, and my first reaction is to tell them that it doesn't count because it wasn't in competition with calibrated plates, then I am a big ole asshole.

For me, it's the intent on why you're asking the questions that matters. If somebody comes into the bar after the round and says that he just shot even par, or has been scratch all season, and you're first question is to ask what tees he's playing, just so you can put him in his place, seems kind of fragile.

If somebody says that they are absolutely crushing their new irons and you chime in with, "yeah that's because the lofts are jacked up." That's rather fragile.

I guess, I read something a while back, it was a facebook post from a political commentator, about "plonking on joy". The piece described it as doing something, either intentionally or unintentionally, to rapidly put down somebody's happiness. It's a sign of insecurity. I try to be better at not plonking on other's joy. So if somebody comes in and brags up their even par scores, so they're now scratch, from the forward tips or mentions how much further they're hitting their 21° 7i, I just let them have their happiness and tell them how awesome it is. I may be thinking something else in my head, but I keep that to myself. It's more fun to march in somebody else's parade than it is to rain on it.
Wow. I've heard someone say that phrase and I honestly thought they just kind of made it up. Interesting.

But yeah, I'm with ya.

We'll...if we're going to take bench press numbers, we have to discuss arm length and how to properly handicap a guy with longer arms. It's only fair.
fun fact, powerlifters, and lifters in general, are more fragile that internet golfers. They will flat out say, "yeah I don't bench that, but I don't use wrist wraps...so..."
I really do have long arms. If I didn't.. 🔥

😆
Have you been reading my diary?

I don't care what other people do, what clubs they play, what score they brag about or what loft their irons are. In a competitive format it will all work itself out. In a casual format... For the love of... enjoy the game and worry about yourself.

fun fact, powerlifters, and lifters in general, are more fragile that internet golfers. They will flat out say, "yeah I don't bench that, put I don't use wrist wraps...so..."

Have you been reading my diary?

I used to be a powerlifter so I can 100% agree here, lol.

Its interesting I have started to care less and less about how far I hit my irons. My driver I still want to go as far as humanly possible. But Irons, not so much a big deal. Its is getting to be more of can I hit a number (I rarely do) with a flight I want to see.

I have a challenge to this.

Should dynamic loft supersede club loft? If you're claiming you hit a 200 yard 7 iron, but at contact you've actually turned that stock 7 into a stock 5, is it still a 7 iron? Adversely, if my 7 iron (bent strong) goes just as far as your 7 iron (stock), but my dynamic loft is a true 7 and yours is a true 5, am I the jacked lofter or are you?

Yeah, let's get heavy.

You, sir are too Jacked. 🤣🤣🤣

I have nothing to add to this, but read the entire thread (SMH) So I will post this.

Again - this is all just mind-blowing to me. Why wouldn't we get clubs that help us play better and essentially "win?" Your winning is different than mine. What does it matter to the "anti loft-jackers?"

Go with me here now - (This makes sense in my head :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
It's the same in all sports - the technology gets better in helping the players. When I was playing baseball I'd look for the lightest shoe to help me stay faster than others, the bat that had the most pop (even in wood bats), the best grip in gloves when playing football, anything to get me an edge to assist in the end goal - to win.

And whatever helps you "win" technology-wise in golf - so be it. As long as you're not cheating - who cares? And even if you are, then you're cheating yourself. But really getting pissy about the distance some else's club goes versus yours? or a score from a different tee box?

There are bigger problems in this world - but maybe that's one of the biggest - peeps are too worried about others' bobbers versus being concerned about what's going on with their own bobber.

So if somebody comes in and brags up their even par scores, so they're now scratch, from the forward tips or mentions how much further they're hitting their 21° 7i, I just let them have their happiness and tell them how awesome it is. I may be thinking something else in my head, but I keep that to myself. It's more fun to march in somebody else's parade than it is to rain on it.
Has anybody ever done this? Isn't that what an index is?
I have encountered thousands of thousands of golfers and cannot think of a single time a person said they were scratch because they shot a good score up front.
I also cant imagine chuckling at someone in my head for being proud of shooting even par regardless of tees.

I have nothing to add to this, but read the entire thread (SMH) So I will post this.

Sorry. Lol

Honestly the whole ridiculousness was worth it just for the vanity/feel good vs. retro dynamic loft thing. I am 💯% using that. 😆

I have encountered thousands of thousands of golfers and cannot think of a single time a person said they were scratch because they shot a good score up front.
I also cant imagine chuckling at someone in my head for being proud of shooting even par regardless of tees.
No idea. I was playing along with the premise of the thread.

Probably not for long, because someone would sort them out on the index stuff I'd think. On the other side, there are lots of people who don't understand how it all works and I've heard 'he's scratch from the _____ tees' multiple times in my life and been told I 'played to scratch' on a par'd 9 holes even though that's not how that actually works, so anything is possible.

No one's chuckling at anyone here. A bunch of us are chuckling though.

No idea. I was playing along with the premise of the thread.
The premise was that there's a system, a standardization, that keeps that from happening.

Probably not for long, because someone would sort them out on the index stuff I'd think. On the other side, there are lots of people who don't understand how it all works and I've heard 'he's scratch from the _____ tees' multiple times in my life and been told I 'played to scratch' on a par'd 9 holes even though that's not how that actually works, so anything is possible.

No one's chuckling at anyone here. A bunch of us are chuckling though.
doesn't the handicap system take care of that too?
The premise was that there's a system, a standardization, that keeps that from happening.
Right. There is in fact an indexing system that takes care of that. But not every golfer carries an official handicap *raises hand*.

I have a challenge to this.

Should dynamic loft supersede club loft? If you're claiming you hit a 200 yard 7 iron, but at contact you've actually turned that stock 7 into a stock 5, is it still a 7 iron? Adversely, if my 7 iron (bent strong) goes just as far as your 7 iron (stock), but my dynamic loft is a true 7 and yours is a true 5, am I the jacked lofter or are you?

Yeah, let's get heavy.
I think that gets lost in a lot of this. Not to mention, gear effect and what happens to that iron when you hit it above the cg, which is not difficult when the cg is pulled as far down and back as possible. Same reason a lot of GI irons are more upright. Yes, it helps keep the ball left, but it also helps keep it neutral because that 20g tungsten wants to droop and pull the toe into the dirt.

Ohhh, so 7i distance minus offline should be the actual number we brag?!?? 🔥
Completely fair. This should be the new gold standard for measuring distance. Honestly, it makes me question why it's never been the standard.

In re: to loft jacking it kinda sits like MLB baseball in the late 90's early 00's for me. Everyone is doing it and if your not then you are at a disadvantage. It also might make you get a big head and it may induce some rage if/when someone 'corrects' you're distance claims. :ROFLMAO:

Don’t really care what people shoot, the 7 iron thing is simple for me. My lob wedge is only going so far and my driver is going so far. I just want everything in between to gap properly. So whatever that mean for my 7 iron so be it.

I used to get all worked up over the loft jacking but anymore I don't understand why people care so much? It seems like the ones that get upset are the ones that might not use that style of club anyway.

I'm happy to know that I'll have options to help me get more distance as I get older and need more help in that category.

Why do people get upset about a 28* 7 iron, yet they’re fine with wedges that have 60 or more degrees of loft?

Why do people get upset about a 28* 7 iron, yet they’re fine with wedges that have 60 or more degrees of loft?
Damn straight!
I'm more irritated by the Armlock/Broomstick putters has what loft is on my, or anyone else's irons. Are people upset by 12* drivers?

Theoretically, hitting a shorter iron because you can hit it farther should result in greater accuracy and my Shot Scope data supports that. As I look at my average proximity per club, it gets better with each club as I progress from the long to short irons. So, my consideration of longer distance when looking at a new/different set of irons is based on the fact that, a shorter club, even if only by one, has historically improved my average approach proximity. It could be any number of factors other than but perhaps inclusive of "jacked lofts" that helps me achieve that. It is the overall result that matters, "jacked lofts" or not. That's why looking at a driver that can go farther is also important as it can get me a club or two closer to the hole, better average proximity on my approaches and more shots at birdies. It has nothing to do with bragging about how far I can hit any club. For me, this is what hitting the ball farther is about. Who cares how far anyone else can hit their clubs? There is no room on the scorecard for anything but a number indicating the number of strokes taken, no narrative, no clubs used, no distances each club was hit.....

If someone shoots par, I don't care from what tees they are playing, I say good on them. I don't ask what tees they played from or what the course rating from those tees was or what their course handicap was for that day. No matter the course rating for a given set of tees, unless you are taking a multitude of mulligans or otherwise cheating, you still have to hit the ball very well, and/or have a decent short game, and make some putts to score that well. In golf, success is measured to par, lowest score relative to par wins. Course handicaps, calculated from course rating, are nothing more than an attempt to "level the playing field" for golfers of differing abilities. Even when taking handicaps into account, again, success is measured relative to par. When I look at my personal bests, I have two, one is relative to par, and one is relative to course rating.

Score jacking? I don't think there is such a thing. Even if you play the forward tees, the scoring differential evens it out. You could shoot a 75 with a scoring differential of 10, or shoot an 82 with a scoring differential of 10.

Back