Loft jacking vs. score jacking?

Score jacking? I don't think there is such a thing. Even if you play the forward tees, the scoring differential evens it out. You could shoot a 75 with a scoring differential of 10, or shoot an 82 with a scoring differential of 10.

I think the challenge is how each of those use cases is represented. The first is just "I shot a 75" with no additional context. The second is "I shot 82 but on a hard course. It was 10 stroke differential"

I shot a 69 last year and I’m a 10.6 😎

I remember that. That was awesome, and you had fun right?
I mean I couldn’t find my drive on 9 and had to take a two stroke penalty for that, but yea it was a pretty good time 😁

Completely fair. This should be the new gold standard for measuring distance. Honestly, it makes me question why it's never been the standard.

In re: to loft jacking it kinda sits like MLB baseball in the late 90's early 00's for me. Everyone is doing it and if your not then you are at a disadvantage. It also might make you get a big head and it may induce some rage if/when someone 'corrects' you're distance claims. :ROFLMAO:
I sometimes hit what we call 300 yard drives - 150 yards up and 150 yards out.

I think that gets lost in a lot of this. Not to mention, gear effect and what happens to that iron when you hit it above the cg, which is not difficult when the cg is pulled as far down and back as possible. Same reason a lot of GI irons are more upright. Yes, it helps keep the ball left, but it also helps keep it neutral because that 20g tungsten wants to droop and pull the toe into the dirt.
Yeah, I think so too... And I also think there are certain aspects of golf that are super irritating depending on the individual (like the 200 yard GI 7 iron guy excited about taking less club than the 200 yard blade 5 iron guy), because who the hell cares. Decent chance that the strike quality from the MB was superior, which is obviously the greater achievement, but that rarely gets talked about.

So, it's more of a 'stay in your own lane' sort of conversation to me, but also a 'be happy for people who are happy as long as they don't try to piss on your wheaties' kind of story.

If I've learned anything about golf in the years that I've been playing, is that it is (quite possibly) the most vanity driven activity that I have ever taken part in.

It makes sense, at it's core, I suppose. I mean, from it's inception it was a game of exclusion. Whether it was socio-economic based, racial bias, etc. Any activity rooted in keeping others out and one's social status boosted by taking part is going to inherently be vested in some level of vanity.

Scores from what tees and how far you or I hit our 7i irons is all, IMO, vanity based. Is there a talent gap between a score posted at one set of tees to another, or two guys hitting the exact same iron two different distances? Absolutely. The only people focused on those issues though (again, in my opinion) are those interested in stroking their own egos or diminishing someone else's. With all that being said, I can't claim that I've never been guilty of participating (my high horse is more of a Shetland Pony, to be fair).

The sport of golf and the people that participate is an interesting peek into the human psyche, to be honest. It's full of values and belief systems that are honorable and contradictory. Like has been said in the past, you'll learn a lot about a person on the golf course. Sometimes more than you want to know.

I don’t always make a triple, but when I do…

Put me down for a bogey…

I was sharing some thoughts from a thread today with a friend and his thoughts were as follows:

the loft jacking **** and, 'I hit my 7i __ yards' is the same as someone saying they shot 72. Without a tee reference what does it mean? Was that from the 65.7 tees, or the 75.6? Except we have a whole handicapping system that shines a flood light on the difference with that, so the bragging and wounded egos are less extreme. You have a direct comparison. The guy shooting par from the 65s can't really claim he's scratch or anything. With clubs it's apples and ... genetically modified super apples. And there's no system so people pride their numbers more and everyone gets all bent out shape.

Thoughts on this?

Doesn't mean anything pards.

Some players golf their ball hoping that other people will pay some sort of attention to them, while most players like yourself will golf their ball for the joy of it.

I've been around the game for a long time and have experienced both.

Sorry @OldandStiff but I had to wake this one up.

So I did a fitting at Club Champion on Wed with my Rogue ST Max OS Iron 6i (25.5* Loft) vs. Mizuno 923 HL (28*).
I got virtually the same distance and spin from the two irons. HL Launching High and Landing Steeper.

1666375788266.png

1666375749877.png
So I'm in a Loft Jacking vs Score Jacking quantry.
Is better that the 28* matched the 25.5* (Being "Hotter") or is the question, why didn't the 25.5* go longer that the 28* or...is the 28* a better fit?

Attachments

• 1666375729989.png
    1666375729989.png
    51 KB · Views: 3

So I did a fitting at Club Champion on Wed with my Rogue ST Max OS Iron 6i (25.5* Loft) vs. Mizuno 923 HL (28*).
I got virtually the same distance and spin from the two irons. HL Launching High and Landing Steeper.

Is better that the 28* matched the 25.5* (Being "Hotter") or is the question, why didn't the 25.5* go longer that the 28* or...is the 28* a better fit?
It's cool. I love to try think back what I would have said in here for you to mention me, only to realize this madness is my thread. :LOL:

I'm all for all the jacking though. We're taking it back.

View attachment 9129970

View attachment 9129969
Which did you like better? I tend to think that for someone at your speed, all other things equal, the one that goes a little higher offers a little shot forgiveness.

Which did you like better? I tend to think that for someone at your speed, all other things equal, the one that goes a little higher offers a little shot forgiveness.
I like the Mizuno for looks for sure. I tend to have a "Power draw" with Rogue's - thinking 105 shafts might calm that down.
On the outside range, the HL look like they go "So High"
I did hit both with 2022 Chrome Soft so all that is the same.
I was getting just over 2000 spin off of the Driver, so I feel like I have the right ball.

Interesting thread and I think I now understand what the whole loft jacking thing is....

A month or so ago I went out as a single on my local course and got linked up with a pair and another single... at some point I hit a fantastic (for me) shot from about 200 yards out from the rough and onto the green, easily my best shot of the round. The single was close by and praised the shot and then asked me what I hit. I told him I hit my 7 (it's a new club this year to me Cobra Radspeed) and he told me there was no way I hit a 7 iron 200 yards. I still had it in my hands and walked over and showed him the 7 on my club, to which he then said it wasn't a real 7 iron and the loft had to be wrong. He kept ranting about it and I finally had to tell him to shut the hell up about it. He asked what I hit, I told him, end of story, I didn't brag about it or anything and then asked why he cared so much.

He was obviously way better than me and by my estimate was probably shooting towards the low 80's (I think I ended up with a 94-95), I'd admittedly never thought about it again and just assumed he was a jerk and then this thread popped and explained it a little to me.

So in the future, do I need to put an asterisk on my comments when someone asks me what I hit with a particular shot? :LOL: It was just interesting as I spent the round admiring how well he kept the ball in play and he was bent out of shape over me hitting one decent shot I was finally happy with in the round.

Interesting thread and I think I now understand what the whole loft jacking thing is....

A month or so ago I went out as a single on my local course and got linked up with a pair and another single... at some point I hit a fantastic (for me) shot from about 200 yards out from the rough and onto the green, easily my best shot of the round. The single was close by and praised the shot and then asked me what I hit. I told him I hit my 7 (it's a new club this year to me Cobra Radspeed) and he told me there was no way I hit a 7 iron 200 yards. I still had it in my hands and walked over and showed him the 7 on my club, to which he then said it wasn't a real 7 iron and the loft had to be wrong. He kept ranting about it and I finally had to tell him to shut the hell up about it. He asked what I hit, I told him, end of story, I didn't brag about it or anything and then asked why he cared so much.

He was obviously way better than me and by my estimate was probably shooting towards the low 80's (I think I ended up with a 94-95), I'd admittedly never thought about it again and just assumed he was a jerk and then this thread popped and explained it a little to me.

So in the future, do I need to put an asterisk on my comments when someone asks me what I hit with a particular shot? :LOL: It was just interesting as I spent the round admiring how well he kept the ball in play and he was bent out of shape over me hitting one decent shot I was finally happy with in the round.
I hit a drive 287 yards today*. Is anybody impressed? Sounds pretty good, right?

* I missed the fairway right, took a huge bounce off the cart path, and rolled probably another 20 yards in the hard-packed dirt. Still sound good? :LOL:

I hit a drive 287 yards today*. Is anybody impressed? Sounds pretty good, right?

* I missed the fairway right, took a huge bounce off the cart path, and rolled probably another 20 yards in the hard-packed dirt. Still sound good? :LOL:
There are no shot videos on scorecards!! Only end results that say you're jacked. 💪

I stopped reading after you hit a drive 287.

Nicely done!

I did some score jacking last weekend playing with my son. Played a shorter course from the whites. Sadly while I had a lower score teeing forward can’t fix stupid 3 putts.

I did some score jacking last weekend playing with my son. Played a shorter course from the whites. Sadly while I had a lower score teeing forward can’t fix stupid 3 putts.
Tee to green jacking. (y)

Sadly I don't think even playing 5200 yds would lower my scores all that much. From those tees the temptation to play dumb shots would be too great. "You know, I could play my tee shot thru the gap in those trees and reach the green...." *hits tee shot off heel of driver... now has to play recovery shot*

Tee to green jacking. (y)

it used to be that I didn’t see much difference between the blue and white but I’m seeing it a lot more the past couple seasons. Certainly more than the 2 stroke difference the course rating suggests.

Sometimes it feels good to go low even when it isn’t the most challenging round.

Back