Low weight, low launch

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
If I was to look for a light weight (70-100 gram) lower launching iron shaft which ones should I consider?

DG SL S300 is what I had in my irons...they were too low launching for me so maybe those would be good if you need a lower flight.

Those are pretty high launch. I agree with the previous poster that the Dynamic Gold SLs would fit the bill - many people do not like the feel. You could also try the KBS Tour 90.

Yes, I do currently have the Cally uniflex.

The Tour 90's weigh in at 102 grams in Stiff flex if I'm not mistaken. That should be suitable.

To the OP, are you dead set on steel shafts? There are some graphite options that will definitely cater to your weight needs that offer your desired ball flight. But they ain't cheap.

Thanks for your thoughts COncept and axlsa, I will look into those.TC, I certainly am open to trying graphite shafts.

The Tour 90's weigh in at 102 grams in Stiff flex if I'm not mistaken. That should be suitable.

To the OP, are you dead set on steel shafts? There are some graphite options that will definitely cater to your weight needs that offer your desired ball flight. But they ain't cheap.

Hey TC, which graphite iron shafts would you recommend for a lower flight? I'm trying to remember all the different shafts which you reviewed but I thought the matrix ozik were a higher launching shaft?

Hey TC, which graphite iron shafts would you recommend for a lower flight? I'm trying to remember all the different shafts which you reviewed but I thought the matrix ozik were a higher launching shaft?

They were Programs and I would say that after finding the right flex profile one could achieve a mid ball flight. Also the C. Kua's.

Thanks TC. The Mizazaki site lists the C.Kua iron shaft as having a mid-high trajectory. I wonder what exactly that means - somewhere between a mid and high ball flight I guess?

If you want graphite and have the money, you could try the Steelfiber 110s - just a shade heavier but low launch. A lot of money to spend on an experiment though.

Thanks for your thoughts COncept and axlsa, I will look into those.TC, I certainly am open to trying graphite shafts.

Thanks TC. The Mizazaki site lists the C.Kua iron shaft as having a mid-high trajectory. I wonder what exactly that means - somewhere between a mid and high ball flight I guess?

I've never tried them but yoccos has them. And yes, the Steelfiber's would be awesome but they are an investment. I think those are the shafts Matt Kuchar plays.

Kuchar does play them to great effect. I have the i80s in my gamer set - I hated graphite previously but these act and feel very close to steel - plus a nice mid launch with solid spin numbers.

I've never tried them but yoccos has them. And yes, the Steelfiber's would be awesome but they are an investment. I think those are the shafts Matt Kuchar plays.

Kuchar does play them to great effect. I have the i80s in my gamer set - I hated graphite previously but these act and feel very close to steel - plus a nice mid launch with solid spin numbers.

What heads are they paired up with?

Not sure if they are categorized as low launch, but the trajectory I get from Nippon NS Pro 950s I have in my TaylorMade CBs is very appealing. Dartish.

Kevin

Not sure if they are categorized as low launch, but the trajectory I get from Nippon NS Pro 950s I have in my TaylorMade CBs is very appealing. Dartish.

Kevin

Those are the shafts I'll be slapping in the 588 CB irons. I found them to be fairly low launching for me too, so you aren't alone. I think they weigh around 110 grams though.

Those are the shafts I'll be slapping in the 588 CB irons. I found them to be fairly low launching for me too, so you aren't alone. I think they weigh around 110 grams though.

They're shown as 98 grams on the TM site under shaft options.

Kevin

They're shown as 98 grams on the TM site under shaft options.

Kevin

Well, hell, What kind of information am I putting on the internet. I must've been thinking about the 1050's dude. Sorry bout that.

Well, hell, What kind of information am I putting on the internet. I must've been thinking about the 1050's dude. Sorry bout that.

Dude, an old fart like me couldn't swing all that weight for 18 holes and still have my touch at the end. lol.

Kevin

Dude, an old fart like me couldn't swing all that weight for 18 holes and still have my touch at the end. lol.

Kevin

Tell me about it, I was rocking 130 gram shafts. They were fatiguing. I think the Nippon's rival KBS' in terms of feel as well.

Tell me about it, I was rocking 130 gram shafts. They were fatiguing. I think the Nippon's rival KBS' in terms of feel as well.

I'd never be able to practice with shafts that heavy. I couldn't imagine hitting a couple hundred balls. The Nippons feel more "substantial" to me if that makes sense. I didn't compare them on a monitor, but hit the KBS and the Nippons side by side, and loved the feel and ball flights of the Nippons. Plus, it's fun to say. Nippon.

Kevin

hahaha, do you pronounce it "nip-on" or "ni-pon"?

I'm in iron shaft ponder mode right now and kbs and Nippon have my number 1 interest right now. I love my px shafts but I'm thinking of going with something lighter.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

hahaha, do you pronounce it "nip-on" or "ni-pon"?

Depends on my level of randyness.

You don't hear the Nippon shafts mentioned that often.

Kevin

Back