Major break through today!

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I watched the video at the link below which was posted by someone else here on THP. It's about fixing your slice and it works, but that's not the breakthrough...

In the middle somewhere, he says something in passing that really resonated with me and got me wondering. He talks about body lines and says, "contrary to what people think, the club path does not follow the foot alignment, it follows the shoulders". This is part one of my break-through.

Next I watched a video with Johnny Miller (2nd video below) talking about your right hand and its position at impact being the key to shot shaping.

Well, I've been struggling all of the last two years with a fade that progressively got worse as the club shaft got longer and no matter what I did, I couldn't find a fix.

Until today! :joy:

Mixing these two together and tweaking as I went, tonight at the range (with crummy hard to spin balls) I was able to draw, fade or hit it straight at will. I focused on my hand position at impact using the last knuckle of the right hand pressed against the grip as my control point. But, I also incorporated the thought about the shoulders. So when I want to draw I set up with the feet parallel left of the target and face square to target like for a straight shot, but close my shoulders to that line slightly. THis was assisting me to come inside to out and the ball would draw more if I closed my shoulders more and less if less. With fade I do the opposite with shoulders slightly open.

Who knows if it'll work tomorrow, but for 150 balls I was in golf nirvana with all 3 shot shapes at my beck and call. Here's hoping it lasts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnopJFvTa3Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdinqHVdG2g&feature=related

Great videos. I will especially try to do what he said in the first.

man hitting great golf shots as intended feels amazin doesn it!!

different approach - i always exaggerated my swing path - this seems to start different but accomplish the same thing.

Nice vids and good for you on the breakthrough Flooder!!

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Those Johnny Miller videos are really helpful! I found them a few months back and took away the same thing with the right hand at impact. I go right to this thought when I'm setting up to play a shot. Congrats on the progress!

i think the hardest thing for me to cure my slicing from last year - was feeling like i was hitting it to the right (johhny's cross court shot, or hitting to right field) your brain thinks by doing that the ball is going to go WAAAAy right.... but if you hit it right, and the face is square... the ball with have little side spin causing slicing action... and actually DRAW back to the target...

its a thing of beauty seeing a nice high draw. but sooo worth it in the long run... you get more distance too!

Nice videos...I;ll try those out on the range this weekend.

Thanks all. I must say I'm pretty excited to see if I can repeat this and most importantly, take it to the course!

i think the hardest thing for me to cure my slicing from last year - was feeling like i was hitting it to the right (johhny's cross court shot, or hitting to right field) your brain thinks by doing that the ball is going to go WAAAAy right.... but if you hit it right, and the face is square... the ball with have little side spin causing slicing action... and actually DRAW back to the target...

its a thing of beauty seeing a nice high draw. but sooo worth it in the long run... you get more distance too!

This is SOOO true. But as soon as I got my brain to let go and my body to take over, good things started happening. I think for the last couple years (and maybe my whole golfing life) I was thinking too much and not letting go. Golf is a thinking game but the thinking should stop before the shooting starts!

Wow - awesome stuff. I'm impressed we golfers can still make such a breakthrough at any level (your 14 seems like a huge step in ability compared to my 20).

Congratulations on the break-through! And, thanks for sharing! Watched the videos and will be practicing at the range.

Im game for trying anything to get rid of the power fade lol

Interesting approach, and an awesome breakthrough for you. I hope it coninues to work, and I will give it a try myself.

Great video. I'll give the first one a try tomorrow

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Thank you, that first video really works! My driver is back in play! It was jealous of my 3 wood that last few rounds.

wow.... light bulb just went off

Awesome! I can relate as I've also on the verge of a break through. I've been fighting high, weak shots with every club in the bag, and finally tweaked my follow through and it seems to be making a real difference. My confidence is back and I'm looking forward to the 45 holes of golf I have on tap for this weekend.

Wow - awesome stuff. I'm impressed we golfers can still make such a breakthrough at any level (your 14 seems like a huge step in ability compared to my 20).

Heh I thought I could break 10 handicap before the year was over but as you get lower and lower it becomes very hard to drop even a stroke!

Just back from my first round since implementing these changes (see OP) and I'm here to tell you this worked wonders on my game. I didn't shoot a career round or anything thanks to crummy chipping and putting, but ball striking was night and day from what I've been getting the last couple years. Going where I wanted; turning both ways on command; etc. What a joy to play golf again! The poor chipping and putting bugs me, but not as much when I'm not hacking my way around all day.

Anybody struggling with their left/right control should definitely give this a whirl.

Congrats Flooder! It is always awesome when we have those ah-hah moments.

Wow that first video is very helpful. I didn't realize that lining up your driver right behind the ball throws your alignment so far off. I'm going to try lining up the driver with the cog and see how it goes the next time I am at the driving range.

Ok, for anyone who's considering this approach or been following my progress, third time out with this new swing approach and it freakin' works!!! I hit 10/14 fairways today and the other 4 were only a few feet into the rough. I hit 8/18 GIR, but just missed several others.

One quick example to make my point. The 6th hole is a par 3, 170 yards to the center. Pin was tucked back left behind a bunker and along the treeline 185-190 yards away. In the past I would have played my weak fading 5 iron to the middle of the green and tried to 2 putt from there. Today I took my stance with feet hips and shoulders aimed at mid-green (10 yards right of pin) moved the ball back slightly, closed my front shoulder to promote in-to-out swing path and hit a perfect drawing 5 iron pin high and about 12 feet!!! Two weeks ago I couldn't hit a draw to save my life! Actually with anything longer than 7 iron I couldn't even hit it straight - they were all weak fades. This change has changed my whole game and I'm having the most fun I've had playing in years - actually make that ever!

For either shot I line my body up square to the target as if I intend to hit it straight. Then to fade I open the shoulders and move the ball up slightly - then I just think about a down the line swing. To draw close the shoulders and move it back slightly then think about swinging in-to-out. It works for me, maybe it will work for you.

Nice job flooder, drawing those longer irons is harder than any other iron in the bag IMO. I draw all my short irons, but my long irons are little fades.

A 5 iron to 12 feet is remarkable! Nothing like hitting a pure iron shot almost exactly where you aim... Congratulations man

Thank you, that first video really works! My driver is back in play! It was jealous of my 3 wood that last few rounds.

wish I could stay the same, need to tinker with it on the range and not try it on the course again LOL

Great videos. I will especially try to do what he said in the first.

That first video was really good. I bet if I video'd my swing I bet I change my center of gravity during the swing. Great piece of advice.

Back