Matrix Reign "Black" Shafts: THP Preview Thread

Whiteboard comparisons are a very good thing, especially with more launch

Also, for testing these will both be tipped this evening with Opti-Fit adapters and trimmed to play at 46" in my 815.

And eventually, you will golf with Canadan and he will hit it too.

Wow, regardless of performance, I think Matrix nailed the look!

Whiteboard comparisons are a very good thing, especially with more launch

Its been really interesting there, its one of the first things/comparisons that popped into my head, but honestly given that RF is playing it and his long long long history with the Whiteboard...its not all that shocking.

Its extremely stable, and I've said it a ton now but the overall flight surprised me. Granted, I'm playing it in an 11* head, but I'm seeing the same type of flight I was seeing with my PX LZ50.

And eventually, you will golf with Canadan and he will hit it too.

Wow, regardless of performance, I think Matrix nailed the look!

Duh, and or, hello. :alien:

I think the 70T would bend your brain a bit, I'm having a hard time grasping it totally. You would hit it high though, that is a given, LOL

Duh, and or, hello. :alien:

I think the 70T would bend your brain a bit, I'm having a hard time grasping it totally. You would hit it high though, that is a given, LOL

Not loving the 'soft in the hands' profile but I can understand why they would design shafts that way. Probably makes it seem to load much, much smoother.

Not loving the 'soft in the hands' profile but I can understand why they would design shafts that way. Probably makes it seem to load much, much smoother.

It really does, at least so far. Reading low/low I had this dreadful thought of the Black Tie in my head, thankfully that has been disproven on both flight and feel.

It really does, at least so far. Reading low/low I had this dreadful thought of the Black Tie in my head, thankfully that has been disproven on both flight and feel.

You know my thoughts on the black tie... I really don't think that one ever had a low/low profile... Softer in the tip section than my swing supports.

Once again all kinds of intrigued. Absolutely love the murdered out package.

Interesting that it's not that "re bar" feel the Black Tie was known for.

Solid first impressions and looking forward to more

You know my thoughts on the black tie... I really don't think that one ever had a low/low profile... Softer in the tip section than my swing supports.

Once again all kinds of intrigued. Absolutely love the murdered out package.

Damndest thing is, after hitting the 70T and having it wipe my notions away, I have ZERO clue what I'm going to see with the 60B.

Liking the thoughts so far and a low/low shaft that is more low/mid is pretty cool. Looking forward to the numbers part even though they will be different for each of us it's still nice to see comparisons.

Interesting that it's not that "re bar" feel the Black Tie was known for.

Solid first impressions and looking forward to more

Wasn't black tie just a board all the way through into the tip, which softened a hair?

Seems like they went the other way with this one.

Wasn't black tie just a board all the way through into the tip, which softened a hair?

Seems like they went the other way with this one.

Yeah, if we had to use our beloved IFC it would have been like an indigo with one softer in the tip.

It will be a few weeks but I'm excited to get 60g x in my hands.

It will be a few weeks but I'm excited to get 60g x in my hands.
I'm honestly surprised you didn't go 70.

Also, don't know if I added.it in here yet or not, the 70T is an Xflex and the 60B is Sflex. Looking to get out with the 60B today to see what it's all about.

I'm honestly surprised you didn't go 70.

Also, don't know if I added.it in here yet or not, the 70T is an Xflex and the 60B is Sflex. Looking to get out with the 60B today to see what it's all about.
70t at 268 cpm pretty stiff lol

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

70t at 268 cpm pretty stiff lol

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Its actually not felt that way at all, no issues handling it, but ive found myself up in that range now of being able to. I had a chuckle when I read the cpm on the butt sticker, was part of my preconceptions with the shaft.

Eh, honestly, I'd bet they are just aesthetic to make them a little unique and different, especially given Matrix's stance that these are "limited" shafts.
It was a joke, but I guess that didn't come across. I don't know how many they're likely to sell at $500, but if its remotely successful, and other people like it as much as you seem to then maybe they'll carry over some of what is in that shaft into their future shafts.

It was a joke, but I guess that didn't come across. I don't know how many they're likely to sell at $500, but if its remotely successful, and other people like it as much as you seem to then maybe they'll carry over some of what is in that shaft into their future shafts.

They utilize all the tech in these throughout the different lines, the materials may change some, but the technology matrix puts into the shafts is actually well identified throughout their offerings. They know they arn't going to move a ton IMO, hence why as mentioned in the information we do have they discuss individual shaft serial numbers, but beyond that they are truly looking at these as "limited" offerings and they definitely aren't being mass produced at this time. Now, could that change should and OEM come knocking, sure, but its not likely with the Reign line as its emphasis has always been different than that as a namesake/line.

I spent more time with the 60B and the 70T today, I hit a LOT of golf balls, but all with a purpose for this review.

The 70T continues to baffle me a good bit. The ball flight I am getting is just something different for me given the fact that I can tell my spin has dropped a solid amount. The more comfortable I have gotten, the more the distance numbers have stretched out, and I hit some monsters today for me. Fit could clearly play a role here as the flex and weight might just be right up my alley, but I think there is more to it than that honestly.

The 60B had a good debut. Great balance installed and through the swing, it swing weighted easily thanks to the slight counter weight effect. Stability was definitely there, and I saw a similar flight to the 70T but definitely a touch more spin. Its got a lot of the same "feel" qualities as the 70T, as it should according to what little information we have on the lines from Matrix. Dispersion wasn't an issue, nor was ballooning even with the added spin and mid-high to high launch. I will say though, the wind did "get to" this one more than the 70T, which is what also validates what I am seeing spin wise. Either way, it performed really solidly.

They are really intriguing offerings from Matrix, its leaving a lot of guesswork to us as far as materials are concerned, but being the price bracket its in I really wouldn't be shocked if it is utilizing some cool stuff there. But, heck, the lack of info is also part of what makes them intriguing. Its an interesting cycle.

Also, some randomness...

70T and 60B, the T = traditional and the B = backweighted.

Also, from what I have dug up through pressers after Rickie's win in the Players with it, it surprisingly has some base design features from the VLCT "speed structure" concept.

Moved these to Cobra adapters for this last week of testing, I just really want to see them in a lower lofted setup.

I see Gomez won with one this week.

5803a343070a7104971ff1f5e7e0175b.jpg

Its been enlightening to hit them in a different head for sure

Back