Matrix Reign "Black" Shafts: THP Preview Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Well, in for review is a very interesting one from Matrix. Right out of the gates, for full disclosure, the info we have here is what we have, "mum" has truly been the word on the "Black" addition to the Reign offerings. As such, technical specs are a bit of a mystery at the moment. That said, they are generating some buzz around the internet because the G-70T is what was in Rickie Fowler's Fly-Z+ when he won the players. Matrix sent in both that G-70T as well as the G-60B for a full THP review.

Information on the Matrix Reign "Black" G-70T and G-60B shafts:

REIGN BLACK G-60T/G-70T
  • Low Spin/Low Launch
  • Softer in the hands
  • Very stout tip section in terms of torsion to optimize dispersion.

REIGN BLACK G-60B/G-70B
  • Mid Spin/Mid Launch
  • Similar characteristics as the "T" shafts, but designed with backweighting
  • Backweighting means slightly higher spin/launch
  • Designed to optimize performance in heavier heads and/or longer builds.

Each shaft in the Matrix Reign "Black" line will have its own unique serial number and be available through the "Matrix Authorized Dealer Network".

Both models carry an MSRP of $500.00, Matrix is considering these a "limited run" type shaft release for them.

In-Hand Images:
DSC_1162-XL.jpg

DSC_1163-XL.jpg

DSC_1152-XL.jpg

DSC_1150-XL.jpg

DSC_1155-XL.jpg

DSC_1148-XL.jpg

DSC_1149-XL.jpg

DSC_1154-XL.jpg

DSC_1151-XL.jpg

DSC_1158-XL.jpg

DSC_1159-XL.jpg

• Staff
Also, for testing these will both be tipped this evening with Opti-Fit adapters and trimmed to play at 46" in my 815.

Is there only one flex offering on these?

they've had me interested about the Reign series since learning about them at the show. Glad to see we got some in to test.

Those look fun. It says for heavier heads, is there a minimum they recommend?

Jman - assuming those numbers represent the weight of each shaft?

• Staff
Is there only one flex offering on these?

As mentioned we literally have no solid info on this, but, seeing as the 60G is labeled S on the butt sticker and the 70T X, I would venture those are the two flexes that will be offered since its s "limited" design.

they've had me interested about the Reign series since learning about them at the show. Glad to see we got some in to test.

I've always eyed the Reign line, but it appears this new "Black" line dropped in May and is a different beast, I don't know, its always interesting when it comes to new releases with shaft companies, they're all something else. Hahaha

Those look fun. It says for heavier heads, is there a minimum they recommend?

Same counterweighting they are using in other shafts, just swing-weights easier, meant for "modern driver heads and lengths"

• Staff
Jman - assuming those numbers represent the weight of each shaft?

I assume so too dude, lol, literally don't have that absolute info.

But, in their RAW and uncut state the 60G weighed 66g and the 70T weighed 78g, so we can venture after being butt trimmed they will play about 62g/74g, I'll weigh again before I install the adapter to be sure.

Gorgeous looking shaft. The B has me intrigued as it sounds similar to what I am currently playing in my 545 RE backweighting

I know you probably have to stay professional on these releases, but I'll help you out...those graphics look SEXY! I love that word print on there with the colors.

I know you probably have to stay professional on these releases, but I'll help you out...those graphics look SEXY! I love that word print on there with the colors.

They're maybe the best looking shafts I have seen from Matrix personally, and I've always been a big fan of their graphics. But, I'm a sucker for anything matte black, and the gloss silver on the butt section is a heck of a nice contrast to it (and its cool that the writing is raised ​on this shaft and not just screened on like their other shafts.

These look great. Bet they look even better in person. Will be following.

They're maybe the best looking shafts I have seen from Matrix personally, and I've always been a big fan of their graphics. But, I'm a sucker for anything matte black, and the gloss silver on the butt section is a heck of a nice contrast to it (and its cool that the writing is raised ​on this shaft and not just screened on like their other shafts.
Raised? Now that's a touch of class, which i guess that's what you get when you pay that price. I thought it was just lighting and the paint that made it looked raised in the pics.
That's impressive. Now that we've established how she looks, I'm looking forward to seeing how she treats you lol.

Like the looks a lot!

Gorgeous! Can't wait to hear how they perform.

Great looking shafts James. Can't wait to hear your thoughts in them.

Wow, these look like they could be very very interesting. Excited to hear how the testing goes!

i tried to hit the reign once. i'm not enough of a man to get anything out of it.

Wow those are sweet looking ! Can't wait to read how they perform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These look very cool! I'm interested in hearing more.

These are sessy, Love me some Matrix shafts. Just need to find a combo that fits. I am hoping with the hip fixed, my swing will be more on the positve angle of attack and I can start taking advantage of the newer tech on the market

Those look insanely good. But $500 for a shaft? That seems insanely high. Is that pretty common among high end aftermarket driver shafts? I honestly just have no idea

Diggn that G-60T option, plus both of the shafts look sweet on top of all of that.

Those look insanely good. But $500 for a shaft? That seems insanely high. Is that pretty common among high end aftermarket driver shafts? I honestly just have no idea
Not that out of line.

Back