Matrix Reign "Black" Shafts: THP Preview Thread

Just finished tip prepping and cutting these down, will weigh them here in a bit before I epoxy the adapters and grip them.

Yes they do look so sexy, great start James, you have a lot of people anxious to follow along on this thread. Me too, even though I cant even hit a S flex anymore much less an X. The raised graphics are just flat out cool.

Low launch, soft in hands and stiff tip, does that sound anything like the Kusala Black, or is that just wishful thinking.

Low launch, soft in hands and stiff tip, does that sound anything like the Kusala Black, or is that just wishful thinking.

My first thought looking at what little profile info we have...Whiteboard.

But, who knows really, looking forward to getting them on course though to track what I see.

Also, for MikeG and any who were curious, after being cut to play 46", the 60B sits at 62g and the 70T at 72g.

The 60 T sounds great. Look forward to your thoughts.

Jman I look forward to following along with this. I got the new Black Tie in my 815 and love it, can't wait to see how this compares.

The 70T and 60B are now both curing. Slight chance at some swings tomorrow, I'll try for sure.

Like you (JMan), vFLASHv, DawgDaddy, and many of the others I'm a big fan of the look of the Matrix "code". I've got a Matrix White Tie 60x4 in my current driver, and really like the look of it. Good thing the price tag doesn't fit my budget, and the shaft properties don't suit my swing. Otherwise I might be enticed by such shafts. Red Reign and White Reign shafts would probably look pretty cool combined with that silver paint pattern as well. I'm sure those raised letters on the shaft were carefully calculated to help make it more "aerodynamic" with less "drag" during the swing.

Like you (JMan), vFLASHv, DawgDaddy, and many of the others I'm a big fan of the look of the Matrix "code". I've got a Matrix White Tie 60x4 in my current driver, and really like the look of it. Good thing the price tag doesn't fit my budget, and the shaft properties don't suit my swing. Otherwise I might be enticed by such shafts. Red Reign and White Reign shafts would probably look pretty cool combined with that silver paint pattern as well. I'm sure those raised letters on the shaft were carefully calculated to help make it more "aerodynamic" with less "drag" during the swing.

Eh, honestly, I'd bet they are just aesthetic to make them a little unique and different, especially given Matrix's stance that these are "limited" shafts.

70T ready to roll.

dea4df4d4d8097acbe636fd5b13b0b5a.jpg

Get it done Jman

Solid session getting to know the 70T today, not what I had braced myself for, will have thoughts up as soon as I can but I'm on daddy duty the rest of the afternoon.

Stable, stable, stable.

I put the 70T into a range session today as a "getting to know you" act, the 60B was not in tow because I forgot it at home but honestly I think I'm going to focus on one and then the other for this review anyways.

Given the profile, and what little we know about it besides it being called "low/low" and having a softer butt section and stiffer tip torsionally, I expected LOW, and that isn't what I got at all. Granted, I am playing a 12* head turned down to 11*, but the launch was comparable to exactly what I have been getting with my LZ50, I'd say more mid-high than high, but either way its higher than I expected. Now, a lot can go into this, most of my contact today was high on the face, so keep that in mind. All told though I did see a lower spinning flight, which given my launch meant some really solid numbers even with range balls.

Biggest takeaways from today were that its funny to bounce back to a 72g shaft coming from the 50's, definitely felt the heft but my ball and swing speeds really were not effected based on what I tracked. Extremely stable through the swing but it didn't feel dead like a Black Tie. Honestly, a good initial comparison in my head is the Whiteboard...we will see if that continues, but its what I muttered to myself a couple of times.

Looks speak for themselves, looks amazing and even better in a head and out in the sun on the range.

Should get out more Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thurs, if you have ANYTHING you want to know or for me to look at, please post up. Shaft reviews are difficult, the focus has to be on does it do what its classed as because there are so many swing variables from user to user, but I will do my best to find out anything you are curious about.

Going to try and sneak some more swings today if I can, as I mentioned before if you have any questions feel free to post them up.

Going to try and sneak some more swings today if I can, as I mentioned before if you have any questions feel free to post them up.
Just curious what's your swing speed. Launch numbers. And spin. Baseline and with this beautiful shaft so that we can get a feel for not only your impressions but also what type of golfer swing would be similar yours. It may help us extrapolate to our swings.

REIGN BLACK G-60T/G-70T
  • Low Spin/Low Launch
  • Softer in the hands
  • Very stout tip section in terms of torsion to optimize dispersion.
Absolutely love the sound of these specs & the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen, but at a $500 price point & limited release, I don't think I'll ever have a shot at gaming one.

Just curious what's your swing speed. Launch numbers. And spin. Baseline and with this beautiful shaft so that we can get a feel for not only your impressions but also what type of golfer swing would be similar yours. It may help us extrapolate to our swings.

Honestly, I'm not a believer in people using my personal numbers to dictate things when it comes to their games. Hence why I always speak on overall increases/drops, baseline traits, and if something does what it is claimed to do rather than "I saw x,xxx RPM of spin and a LA of xx.x." Plus, you have to remember that with shafts, the individual changes everything, for instance the Matrix Black Tie I launch at about 11* with low spin whereas Canadan puts it into orbit and spins it like a top.

I am currently playing off of a 107-109 driver SS as its been tracked the past two months, I can absolutely jump on it more, but that defeats a lot of purposes IMO, I will soon enough be able to give some overall baselines as to what the launch and spin is doing, but I'm not going to just slap up my numbers "here they are", to me that doesn't help,, particularly in a shaft review.

Not trying to be abrasive, just explaining fully where we sit on that matter.

Absolutely love the sound of these specs & the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen, but at a $500 price point & limited release, I don't think I'll ever have a shot at gaming one.

When we tee it up next, it will be in tow and you can have at it.

Honestly, I'm not a believer in people using my personal numbers to dictate things when it comes to their games. Hence why I always speak on overall increases/drops, baseline traits, and if something does what it is claimed to do rather than "I saw x,xxx RPM of spin and a LA of xx.x." Plus, you have to remember that with shafts, the individual changes everything, for instance the Matrix Black Tie I launch at about 11* with low spin whereas Canadan puts it into orbit and spins it like a top.

I am currently playing off of a 107-109 driver SS as its been tracked the past two months, I can absolutely jump on it more, but that defeats a lot of purposes IMO, I will soon enough be able to give some overall baselines as to what the launch and spin is doing, but I'm not going to just slap up my numbers "here they are", to me that doesn't help,, particularly in a shaft review.

Not trying to be abrasive, just explaining fully where we sit on that matter.

When we tee it up next, it will be in tow and you can have at it.
Honesty is never abrasive. We always enjoy and appreciate your reviews.

Our cerebral side is always looking for numbers and analytics even though it never replaces feel. You also point out correctly how different swings produce widely different results.

When a club feels right it just fits. Our gut will and should over rule the rest of the data, because a comfy feel during a swing breeds consistency.

But unfortunately for most of us, who aren't lucky enough to be in your shoes, your review is the closest we may ever get to such a lovely shaft. So we keep reading the reviews with awe and wonder. Might this be the ONE.

So. Keep the reviews coming. They have definitely improved my enjoyment of this great game.

That 70t really has my eye. Looks great James and I look forward to further review

Course bound today, any questions or things you'd like me to look out for, please feel free to post up!

Dedicated my time today to the 70T again, will be getting the 60B out tomorrow.

Its been said, but it honestly looks badass outside in the sun, its pretty crazy how well the gloss silver section offsets the matte black, plus the laser etching for the graphics is very cool too. I know the sticker shock is out there, 500.00 is a ton for a shaft IMO as well, but this one actually looks like something you'd expect in theta real aesthetically for whatever its worth.

As mentioned before i'm playing the 70T at 46" in my 815 Alpha set to 11* D, again today I saw a mid-high to high ball flight, ball was put on a very nice ascent to peak though, it has actually surprised me just how much it CAN get up. Was breezy as well today so I was playing headlong into the wind on several of the holes and though the ball flight was on the higher end the wind really didn't pose a major issue as far as knocking it back as it worked to its apex. Had no issues hitting my fade, also hit a couple small draws today intentionally, didn't have any instances of hooks FWIW (though that is a swing thing and NOT a shaft thing, I know some adamantly disagree there, but its true).

The 70T held up just fine through my transition and really responded to when I wanted to really try and lag/turn into one, and it did so while feeling NOTHING like the rebar that is the Black Tie which is a MAJOR win in my book. Again, I'm honestly reminded a lot of the Whiteboard.

Spin is on the lower end of the spectrum, which makes the launch I am getting all that more impressive. To be clear, one has to remember there are a LOT of variables when it comes to shafts here like AoA, transition, face contact (high/low), and the list goes on, its what makes shaft reviews one of the most difficult things to do. But, I should be gaining access to a lot of numbers very very soon and this will spell some more finite overall comparisons in terms of what the spin numbers are doing for me, I won't force feed you MY numbers, but I will discuss how it reacts in general levels. Sorry to get off on a little tangent here, but I know some get hung up on numbers. Bottom line, I'm confident in what I am seeing though, its classed as low/low, but I really am leaning more mid/low for it overall.

I saw really good accuracy, and really really solid carry numbers on the day, nothing really jumped out as an "uh-oh" if you will, which honestly should be expected given the materials, tech, and price point of this one.

Back