Wait you actually read it?
Not past the second line, then i scrolled back up to see if the guy posting was an albatross member, they weren't .....so - non factor posting drivel. Hit refresh on the "Latest Posts"

I’ll say this about WITB content, when I worked in the golf department at Dick’s, WITB post impacted what customers asked for WAY MORE than it should have.

Especially putters, when Sergio won the Masters we couldn’t keep Spider putters in stock. When Bryson won, we got multiple asks to cut long irons to OL. WITB are a pain in the ass if you work in golf retail.

Let me if I can summary the post correctly.

WITB for entertainment = good
WITB for club building roadmap = bad

Did I summarize that correctly? Sounds logical.

Let me if I can summary the post correctly.

WITB for entertainment = good
WITB for club building roadmap = bad

Did I summarize that correctly? Sounds logical.

I did, but I replaced MGS with THP in my head and it went much better... Even the staff being super cool part... 😎
I don’t think he’s ever met our staff sooooo

I’ll say this about WITB content, when I worked in the golf department at Dick’s, WITB post impacted what customers asked for WAY MORE than it should have.

Especially putters, when Sergio won the Masters we couldn’t keep Spider putters in stock. When Bryson won, we got multiple asks to cut long irons to OL. WITB are a pain in the ass if you work in golf retail.

stop trying to mod. This thread was derailed by line two of the copy pasta.

The One Platinum ball was a popular buy on Mondays, so I remember

The One Platinum ball was a popular buy on Mondays, so I remember
It was and the Frankenwood became a thing after one British Open...

MGS? WRX?

i-dont-even-know-who-you-are-thanos.gif

All I know is MGS is bad for you in chinese food. And WRX head gaskets pop over 400 WHP.

View attachment 9021977
I couldn’t help my self lol.

Ok, I will preface this by saying I adore the MGS crew. Adam, Tony, Nickel, etc. Great guys with a ton of passion for the game. Played golf with them at events and consider them friends. I have been an MGS user for years as I feel their niche is analyzing equipment from a very micro level. What they do takes time, money, hours, and a s$$t load of passion. Essentially they are the Kelly Blue Book of the golf industry. That’s great for the game. HOWEVER, like anything else, the information they provide is ONLY to inform you on your journey to the perfect equipment. That’s it. The Hackers Paradise, GolfWRX are no different. None of what they say or I say is gospel, it’s up to you the golfer to take that info and use it responsibly. Sounds like anything else in life right?

This post (and the one like it a year or two ago) while on its face has a credible message which is, focus on your own clubs and not Phil’s is attempting to minimize a touchpoint in golf that inspires conversation and connectivity. There is no harm in getting to know what’s in a Tour Players bag. ZERO. The grand majority of golf content consumers enjoy WITB posts, and it’s not as a buyer, it’s as a golf fan. Working at GolfWRX for 3 years I saw it first hand. It’s a vital part of that sight. Why? Well in many cases, questions around WITB posts create pathways to talk about fitting, golf club R&D, and why certain players respond to certain components.

To suggest that golfers are too naive to understand that Jon Rahm’s WITB may not work for them is ludicrous. Yes, there are gear heads out there that like to roll like that but we are talking a VERY few.

Knowing the MGS crew like a do, I understand why these posts find the surface… to inspire conversation and engagement pure and simple. Clickbait? No. Do they know exactly what they are doing? Yes. Could it have been presented in a less polarizing way? Yes. Does MSG like to stir it up? Yes. And that’s why I like the site. Even after posts like this.

It’s true, WITB posts after a player win’s a tournament get a RIDICULOUS amount of attention. Trust me I’ve seen it go down at WRX probably 1000 times. I love that it does. It’s interesting to know what Jon Rahm won the US Open with. It’s interesting to know why Xander would switch from one ball to another. Does it inspire the whole of the golf community to go and try and play the same stuff? NO. There are some fools out there (Like me) that have done it but I enjoy it and it’s a free country.

I can say this in earnest as I was that guy that mirrored my bags to my favorite players regardless of whether the clubs were right for me. That’s how I exercised my Golf fan. I always felt like hitting the same gear as my favorite player helped me understand them a bit more. I remember a David Toms obsession I had that that led me into discovering the 5-wood in 2002. It actually helped my game.

I knew players’ bags up and down and when I would see them in the hunt I could understand them in a more nuanced way. Do you know the funny thing? The more I understood why the best players in the world put clubs in the bag, the better I was at analyzing my own game. The big message I got? That Phil’s clubs work for him and I could find a set that worked for me. Sure I would mindlessly try to replicate a Phil or Tiger set on occasion. I have the eBay transactions to prove it. It was fun. Does it make me a fool? Maybe, but I loved every minute of it. That was a part of the game that made it even more enjoyable and it was my way in. Some people do it with throwback clubs, I did it with Tour equipment. The way I am puts me in a VERY small group of people, VERY small. MGS speaks to millions every month and this post puts a very broad stroke on a “thing” that only involves .0000000001 of their users.

So to respond back to MGS I’d say, WITB content is part of the fan experience that does not have the effect that this post suggests. Golfers love talking gear. WITB content whether it’s Tour or your weekend warrior is a passion piece of this game that I hope only grows.

Check the comment section, it’s quite the read. WITB articles are a way to drive engagement (IE Conversation, awareness, and eyeballs) but it’s also super fu$$king INTERESTING. Every sport has it in its own version and granted golf is different as you can buy and hit what the pros play, it’s still a part of the game that piques curiosity and continues to be a potential entry point for new players. The major websites that offer WITB content aren’t acting irresponsibly or hurting anyone’s games. If anything they are adding one more layer of information for golf fans to consume. A good layer at that.

I found it quite fascinating that during this year’s PGA and US Open, the equipment stories sat front and center with the player’s performance. Phil’s broken clubs and Rahm’s putter. All that does is grow the game and shed even more awareness on the equipment industry that employs THOUSANDS of people.

I can thank WITB for my way into to not only the game but my now almost 3 1/2 career in the Golf industry. You wanna know how I got obsessed with Golf? Reading Nick Price’s WITB in an issue of Golf Digest in 1994…Thank You.

Nonetheless, MGS is FANTASTIC and although I disagree with this take, the respect to my friends stays firm in hand.

LFG

JDub
I said I wasn’t going to respond until I let this sink in, but honestly I need to. First off, if that is the Kelly Blue Book of golf, then I have a 15” hog.

with that out of the way, I’m a fan of what you bring to Callaway Golf. The content is good, you have a brilliant mind to work with in @jeffneubarth on the video side and I am excited for what the future holds. With that said sometimes you have to ask is the juice worth the squeeze. What is the upside here? A parallel I guess would be having a THPer hit up the Callaway community and talk about the wonderful and amazing employees at Taylormade? (Which is about as truthful as the KBB comment).

We welcome all. We are a great bunch and I know through things like the Grandaddy you will see that with time. While you were at WRX and seem to have an affinity for another site, I kind of think highly of the people here and would do anything for them. Including checking my audience.

A couple of tweaks to the cut and paste and you have a pretty good conversation about why WITB is fun. Or better yet, with this kind of active community of golfers, just ask them.

Perfect example of what’s in the bag coolness.

Ancer with a zx4 3 iron.

I know this is going to seem like a piling on, but it still needs to be said, @JohnnyCallaway your posts on this forum make me reconsider buying more Callaway equipment.

After reading the comments I see how my sharing this in the forums could be misunderstood. This was supposed to be a whatcha think about this type post. Probably should have put that in the title 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know exactly who this audience is as it’s one of my favorite places to visit on the internet. I posted it here to get your thoughts on what MyGolfSpy posted on IG. Like any of my topics that I re-share or share in here it’s to get a convo going pure and simple. I don’t assume a lot of you visit my site so I post articles in here to share with anyone who wants the info or the conversation. I’m not 100% sure why it’s become a bit polarizing here but hey my intentions were pure.

Working at WRX you begin to learn that the sites whether it be THP, MGS, or Barstool are all just people doing what they do. I haven’t lost that perspective as it travels right into working with Callaway and still having friends at every club company IE competition but we also all know we ain’t curing cancer. It’s golf. It’s fun.

Hence why in the article I wanted to make it known that I still enjoy a lot of big sites like MGS, WRX or THP. It’s a lot of work to run em or work em and ain’t no hobby.

Anyway appreciate any responses y’all have and chatting with you more these past few months has been an awesome part of the new experience.

until next time my friends.

Last edited:
As a semi professional post skimmer, I have to admit, not really. A tour player bag doesn’t do much for me. When I was younger, sure. But right now, I’m more interested in what a tour player does to not wake up in pain after a round, and what they do to keep from being completely dead after a tournament week. THAT would be interesting reading.

now you’re talking!!

This is the perfect example of why you should re read a post before hitting submit. Whether intentional or not this thread is a complete insult to THP, it’s staff and all it’s forum members.

how is it an insult? What am I missing? I’m asking with respect

On a more serious note, @JohnnyCallaway ....
I for one have enjoyed your regular contribution to this forum, so I hope that you don’t take the following criticism the wrong way...

This post was obviously copied and pasted, with the target audience another golf forum, it would have had more impact if you would have changed the verbiage slightly with THP as the target audience. I think the points you raised are valid and would have sparked a great discussion related to WITB posts, however all we are discussing is how awkward this post is worded. That was probably not your intent.

Play to your audience and make us feel special, even if it is a work... 😎

it was not my intent. Correct.

Not sure why I’m in the minority as I didn’t take anything personal toward the community from @JohnnyCallaway.

His take is spot on. MGS’s take on WITB is a huge miss in my opinion. He wrote good counter argument and is sharing it on a few platforms.
I always enjoy WITB articles as I enjoy clubs and new tech. I don’t have any issue with him sharing this view in multiple platforms, just as I don’t have an issue with someone posting the same club review a few places.
He made a mistake, but I didn’t read anything putting down the THP community. Surprised to see the comments coming down on the guy pretty hard, basically calling him out for bashing THP when the point of his write up was to be critical of MGS.

Last edited:
I don’t think he’s ever met our staff sooooo

stop trying to mod. This thread was derailed by line two of the copy pasta.

How was it derailed in the second line? Because I said I liked someone?

WITB is fun. I have never tried to copy a Pro’s bag, but I definitely have tried things that look fun. While no longer in the bag, I still have Callaway Hawkeye 2 iron that I bought to try and hit a tiger stinger. Obviously I couldn’t hit a tiger stinger, but there was one summer that club was a riot.

btw, I don’t know diddly about the other sites mentioned because my home is here.

Last edited:
Back