Not sure why I’m in the minority as I didn’t take anything personal toward the community from @JohnnyCallaway.

His take is spot on. MGS’s take on WITB is a huge miss in my opinion. He wrote good counter argument and is sharing it on a few platforms. Maybe I missed something, or something was edited out later, not sure.
I always enjoy WITB articles as I enjoy clubs and new tech. I don’t have any issue with him sharing this view in multiple platforms, just as I don’t have an issue with someone posting the same club review a few places.
He made a mistake, but I didn’t read anything putting down the THP community. Maybe there was a big edit, but the comments are coming down on the guy pretty hard for bashing THP when the point of his write up was to be critical of MGS.

thx for this, there was no edits and I’m still trying to find anything that was an insult to the THP community. Why would I insult a forum I engage with? I’m so confused lol. Oh well. Maybe it’ll hit me in a week or two.

I’ve been trying to come up with some justification for this thread, but I just can’t, none.

Know your audience, spend some time getting familiar with them, because this, this isn’t it. Copy paste is disingenuous already, particularly to a community of THP’s golf IQ, but add in the “who” the thing is about, and I’m disappointed as hell.

didnt I put MGS in the title? Did you not know it was a commentary on their IG post? I know this audience and thought it would be interesting on your thoughts on WITB posts and on what the IG post suggests. I’m confused as to how this became disappointing. Respectfully I’m not quite understanding

I am surprised that MGS hasn’t co-open the WITB moniker for What’s In The Ball given the history.

All of that said, this whole thread is interesting in its origin.I think the question is basically “what do you think about MSG’s latest ‘hot take’” and much like the prior ones about off-center golf balls, or shorter distance yellow Srixons, my answer is “I don’t think about them at all”.

thx for this, there was no edits and I’m still trying to find anything that was an insult to the THP community. Why would I insult a forum I engage with? I’m so confused lol. Oh well. Maybe it’ll hit me in a week or two.
I’ll be honest. I saw the MGS post on IG today and I was like, that’s a pretty crappy take. Logged in tonight before bed and saw your post and thought, that’s spot on what I was thinking earlier today.
Then I read through the comments and was like, WTF did I miss?
Best I can figure is people are upset because you mentioned WRX and MGS and didn’t mention THP. That’s pretty soft. I enjoy my time here as it’s a much friendlier community than WRX in a lot of ways. But I’m active as well on multiple sites. So no idea why the mods all piled on you so hard and a few others jumped on. It’s 100% not what I’m used to seeing on here, and it’s disappointing. Seeing this behavior is def making me reconsider renewing my albatross membership.

I am surprised that MGS hasn’t co-open the WITB moniker for What’s In The Ball given the history.

All of that said, this whole thread is interesting in its origin.I think the question is basically “what do you think about MSG’s latest ‘hot take’” and much like the prior ones about off-center golf balls, or shorter distance yellow Srixons, my answer is “I don’t think about them at all”.
Your understanding of my intent is spot on. Some care. Some don’t. It’s just a conversation

didnt I put MGS in the title? Did you not know it was a commentary on their IG post? I know this audience and thought it would be interesting on your thoughts on WITB posts and on what the IG post suggests. I’m confused as to how this became disappointing. Respectfully I’m not quite understanding
I’m no one special around here, so maybe I am speaking out of place. I don’t know. But I think the issue here is that the thread is an unnecessary post from a competitor which is being used as a springboard for conversation. A better path would have been to just ask the question, and not have the effect of creating an advertisement for another golf discussion platform.

They completely missed the mark and made themselves look foolish. Why would anyone want to eliminate a segment of golf talk? Makes no sense.

I’m no one special around here, so maybe I am speaking out of place. I don’t know. But I think the issue here is that the thread is an unnecessary post from a competitor which is being used as a springboard for conversation. A better path would have been to just ask the question, and not have the effect of creating an advertisement for another golf discussion platform.

That’s a fair take. Respect

Seems pretty easy to navigate. SOLID chat going on here!

Your understanding of my intent is spot on. Some care. Some don’t. It’s just a conversation
I meant my post as tongue in cheek, meaning I literally don’t think about MSG or their opinions at all. Not because of some blind loyalty to THP, but because they tried to convince people that golf balls were being poorly made by presenting the exception as the rule, as well as suggesting yellow golf balls perform different than white ones, somehow. The point I was trying to make is that if I wanted to talk about what MSG was doing, I would do that from my personal social accounts or on their forum. Not on THP.

Regardless of agreements or disagreements here, I gotta say this convo is way more fun than what I was watching on TV. No BS. I love the passion. LFG!!

I meant my post as tongue in cheek, meaning I literally don’t think about MSG or their opinions at all. Not because of some blind loyalty to THP, but because they tried to convince people that golf balls were being poorly made by presenting the exception as the rule, as well as suggesting yellow golf balls perform different than white ones, somehow. The point I was trying to make is that if I wanted to talk about what MSG was doing, I would do that from my personal social accounts or on their forum. Not on THP.
My post wasn’t about what MGS is doing, it’s about the take. Are WITB posts a virus ravaging the golf industry like they claim or is it fun and informative. I gave my take, I was curious as to the THP community. I’m seeing more that it’s the MGS of it all that’s ruffling feathers perhaps.

My post wasn’t about what MGS is doing, it’s about the take. Are WITB posts a virus ravaging the golf industry like they claim or is it fun and informative. I gave my take, I was curious as to the THP community. I’m seeing more that it’s the MGS of it all that’s ruffling feathers perhaps.

You have to think. You post anything MGS over at WrX the post is taken down and you get a warning from the mods.

I said I wasn’t going to respond until I let this sink in, but honestly I need to. First off, if that is the Kelly Blue Book of golf, then I have a 15” hog.

with that out of the way, I’m a fan of what you bring to Callaway Golf. The content is good, you have a brilliant mind to work with in @jeffneubarth on the video side and I am excited for what the future holds. With that said sometimes you have to ask is the juice worth the squeeze. What is the upside here? A parallel I guess would be having a THPer hit up the Callaway community and talk about the wonderful and amazing employees at Taylormade? (Which is about as truthful as the KBB comment).

We welcome all. We are a great bunch and I know through things like the Grandaddy you will see that with time. While you were at WRX and seem to have an affinity for another site, I kind of think highly of the people here and would do anything for them. Including checking my audience.

A couple of tweaks to the cut and paste and you have a pretty good conversation about why WITB is fun. Or better yet, with this kind of active community of golfers, just ask them.
Was just trying to start a conversation on a post that has been quite polarizing over the past two days. I have an affinity for all the sites including this one. My comments on the MGS crew were genuine as I’ve gotten to know them over the years and my interaction has always been fun. Only thing I have to judge them on.
The only intent here was to chat on the topic, could have posted it as a question but the MGS post would have come up regardless so why not get it out up front and start the convo. Trying to share as much as I can in here and I’ll get it wrong sometimes. I’m ok with that. I dont assume every post will be met with jubilation.

Lesson learned 🤷🏻‍♂️ Love the passion here though!! Its awesome!

All I know is MGS is bad for you in chinese food.

heresy! MSG is the magic flavor molecule. What’s a little heart palpitations between friends…

The only intent here was to chat on the topic, could have posted it as a question but the MGS post would have come up regardless

I get it. I really do. And if you check out the WITB question post that was spawned off of this, by a THPer you will see a great conversation about the topic. I strongly disagree that that post would have come up, but hey maybe some believe that the reach is really larger than every golfer :ROFLMAO:

I urge you to head to those other forums you mentioned and ask the WITB question, but rather than asking, just repeatedly praise this website and the staff as the nicest (your words) and see the reaction, as we both know it wouldn't be as level headed as these have been. :D

In the end, these are golf communities, websites, etc. We are not curing cancer and it should be viewed that way. At the same time, this one in particular offers a home away from home. A level of mostly positivity and civil conversations based on the fact that it is really hard to be an asshole to someone you want to meet at one of our awesome events, like the Grandaddy. They view this as a place to be where they want to be here or honestly we all know its not hard to hit the little X and move on. We created this to be different. Not rival, not compared to, not similar to...But different. In every possible way. Some chose that path to be shocking and click bait filled regardless if truth is involved and others like us preferred more straight forward and transparent approach with direct connection between the community members and golf industry.

Neither is right or wrong, but it is very different. I have enjoyed your content you have shared here (and elsewhere), but the subtle suggestion of instead of cutting and pasting, altering it a bit to fit the room made sense to me. Every one of these places has their own pulse.

I get it. I really do. And if you check out the WITB question post that was spawned off of this, by a THPer you will see a great conversation about the topic. I strongly disagree that that post would have come up, but hey maybe some believe that the reach is really larger than every golfer :ROFLMAO:

I urge you to head to those other forums you mentioned and ask the WITB question, but rather than asking, just repeatedly praise this website and the staff as the nicest (your words) and see the reaction, as we both know it wouldn't be as level headed as these have been. :D

In the end, these are golf communities, websites, etc. We are not curing cancer and it should be viewed that way. At the same time, this one in particular offers a home away from home. A level of mostly positivity and civil conversations based on the fact that it is really hard to be an asshole to someone you want to meet at one of our awesome events, like the Grandaddy. They view this as a place to be where they want to be here or honestly we all know its not hard to hit the little X and move on. We created this to be different. Not rival, not compared to, not similar to...But different. In every possible way. Some chose that path to be shocking and click bait filled regardless if truth is involved and others like us preferred more straight forward and transparent approach with direct connection between the community members and golf industry.

Neither is right or wrong, but it is very different. I have enjoyed your content you have shared here (and elsewhere), but the subtle suggestion of instead of cutting and pasting, altering it a bit to fit the room made sense to me. Every one of these places has their own pulse.

To be honest, it's the staff and mods that came in and derailed this post, leading to a spinoff getting constantly promoted by the mods in this thread. This is the first behavior of this I've seen on this site.

It is possible for multiple good sites to exist. It's also possible that good people work at all of them. You're literally upset because @JohnnyCallaway said he met the guys at MGS and they are some of the nicest people he knows?? And that triggers all the mods? You have to be kidding me. Just because you have competitors in the industry, that doesn't make them terrible people.

This site has always been a good chill place with good people going out of their way to help others. I hope the mods and staff haven't lost their way. This turned into a literal dumpster fire over nothing.

To be honest, it's the staff and mods that came in and derailed this post, leading to a spinoff getting constantly promoted by the mods in this thread. This is the first behavior of this I've seen on this site.

It is possible for multiple good sites to exist. It's also possible that good people work at all of them. You're literally upset because @JohnnyCallaway said he met the guys at MGS and they are some of the nicest people he knows?? And that triggers all the mods? You have to be kidding me. Just because you have competitors in the industry, that doesn't make them terrible people.

This site has always been a good chill place with good people going out of their way to help others. I hope the mods and staff haven't lost their way. This turned into a literal dumpster fire over nothing.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I greatly respect everyone's opinions here, but you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, or what kind of relationship or interactions we have had with other communities, companies, etc. As you said, we try to keep things friendly and civil, but sometimes, something can be a hot button issue that occurs outside of the public forum that you know nothing about. So try to see all sides, and understand there are often times way more to a story than what you see on the forums.

Actually I am not upset at all. Quite calm and at the end of the day this is literally meaningless as it is one post in over 7 million. The idea that someone stating they like writers of a different site is certainly not the hot button in this and unfortunately perhaps its being viewed that way. I think a number of other posters (not staff) said it best. Cut and paste works fine, but know the audience and where its going. You agreeing with him is great. We think everybody has a place and our goal is to be a bit different. Stating they are the same, but that a place that has spent 10 years of shots at myself, my wife, my staff, etc is the Kelly Blue Book (a respected organization generally speaking) is something I wouldn't necessarily agree with. And thats okay too. If we all agreed it wouldn't be a very interesting dynamic.

I think there are some parallels that ring true in my post. For instance we just launched a huge contest to win a trip with @JohnnyCallaway company. If he posts that on WRX or MGS, I think the responses (if the post was allowed to stay up) would be far less civil than these. Which is a shame, because we are not here to compete or ruffle feathers. Just offer an alternative that we kind of enjoy.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I greatly respect everyone's opinions here, but you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, or what kind of relationship or interactions we have had with other communities, companies, etc. As you said, we try to keep things friendly and civil, but sometimes, something can be a hot button issue that occurs outside of the public forum that you know nothing about. So try to see all sides, and understand there are often times way more to a story than what you see on the forums.

Well, there's another active thread about the same exact topic, so clearly a discussion on the MGS article isn't off limits. So again, what was the issue?

Was it that he said he knew the MGS guys and disagreed with them? Or the fact that he didn't mentioned THP in the thread?

It really makes no difference to me what goes on behind the scenes. I'm sure everyone works really hard. But that's honestly a complete cop out for coming down on a member for posting his opinion on a piece to see what everyone thinks. The mods all decided to get triggered and derail the thread. Perhaps being professional and just moving on would have been a better choice? Lock the thread and reach out for an edit? There's literally a ton of better ways to handle this rather than throwing a fit in the comments. So respectfully as well, I'm going to call it as I see it, and objective view that really doesn't have any skin in the game with either party.

But there was nothing negative said in the writeup about THP. In general when you're going to critique something, you start with a positive to soften it up. He said something nice about MGS, then critiqued them. Again, I don't see how you spin that into anything anti-THP.

Politely… It comes off the wrong way when a post starts talking about the staff of another website. Our staff work their asses off grinding out reviews and answering questions for people who have them. Removing myself from it for a second, @jdtox and @GolferGal are moderating constantly threads and guest posts that are spam related, or straight up chickens**t insults fired directly at other members of staff and of the forum itself. It’s stuff y’all never see, and because we’re quick to it, the forum operates like a nice calm body of water.

I don’t think it’s asking much that maybe the staff don’t want to necessarily have to deal with that :/

Well, there's another active thread about the same exact topic, so clearly a discussion on the MGS article isn't off limits. So again, what was the issue?

Was it that he said he knew the MGS guys and disagreed with them? Or the fact that he didn't mentioned THP in the thread?

It really makes no difference to me what goes on behind the scenes. I'm sure everyone works really hard. But that's honestly a complete cop out for coming down on a member for posting his opinion on a piece to see what everyone thinks. The mods all decided to get triggered and derail the thread. Perhaps being professional and just moving on would have been a better choice? Lock the thread and reach out for an edit? There's literally a ton of better ways to handle this rather than throwing a fit in the comments. So respectfully as well, I'm going to call it as I see it, and objective view that really doesn't have any skin in the game with either party.

But there was nothing negative said in the writeup about THP. In general when you're going to critique something, you start with a positive to soften it up. He said something nice about MGS, then critiqued them. Again, I don't see how you spin that into anything anti-THP.

As I said, I respect your opinion, it appears you don't respect mine, and that is fine. I'm not angry, it's all good. Tone is always hard to tell in written word. I stayed out of this thread yesterday, and I will continue to do so now. But I will always support the great people (mods/staff/and members) who make this place great. Like @JB said we don't always have to agree, I will leave it at that.

I adore the MGS crew. Adam, Tony, Nickel, etc. Great guys with a ton of passion for the game. Played golf with them at events and consider them friends. I have been an MGS user for years as I feel their niche is analyzing equipment from a very micro level. What they do takes time, money, hours, and a s$$t load of passion. Essentially they are the Kelly Blue Book of the golf industry. That’s great for the game. HOWEVER, like anything else, the information they provide is ONLY to inform you on your journey to the perfect equipment. That’s it. The Hackers Paradise, GolfWRX are no different. None of what they say or I say is gospel, it’s up to you the golfer to take that info and use it responsibly. Sounds like anything else in life right?

i'm late to the party, so i apologize if i'm beating a dead horse. i think it's the two bolded statements above that were an issue, at least for me. you obviously have a right to feel any way you wish about the mgs guys. my understanding is they haven't been the most professional, respectful or even kind to this forum, or its staff/mods. i wasn't a big fan before, but their behavior during ballgate or coregate or whatever you want to call it turned me off indefinitely. so when you wax flowery about them and their site and their supposed methodology, then go on to say thp is no different, i hope you can see why that might be an issue for some of us. i think there's a lot of great stuff in the remainder of your article, though, and i hope you keep engaging with us. i'd personally prefer that engagement to feel specific to us, rather than prefab crossposting. otherwise it starts to come across as using this place for self-promotion, rather than genuine engagement. i'm certainly not accusing you of that (honestly, i'm not), just saying it can start to feel that way.

Back