middle ground between GI and Players irons??

Hogan's demo program is very easy to use. For $20 they send you a 6i and 9i. for $30 you could try the 6&9 from the two different club styles (PTxPro and Edge). You get to keep them for two weeks, and the cost is for all shipping. A prepaid label is in the box for return. Club Champion has Hogans if you wanted a more intensive test of the clubs.

I would say they are more forgiving than they look. Toe hits are not punished too much. Hitting fat is punished. One really great thing about them is the feed back the club gives you. When I played my G410, It had to be a really horrible swing for me to tell where i was struck on the club face. With the PTxPro, I know without looking where I hit it. and they feel absolutely heavenly when you hit them.

I live in Phoenix too. There's an active group of THPers in AZ if you ever what to tee it up with us, give us a shout.
i might have to hit you guys up while im down there for a round! if i get some new clubs than i wanna try to get 4 rounds in during my trip.

and that's another major point about my current irons I very much dislike that I forgot to mention...mis hits are not an issue, in a bad way! Doesn't matter where I hit the face its still gonna be a reasonable flight and not punish me. I would much rather have a club that gives more feedback and FORCES me to hit better rather than just the club sayin "yea that was a pretty bad hit, but its OK ill cover your ass and make it fly good"

i might have to hit you guys up while im down there for a round! if i get some new clubs than i wanna try to get 4 rounds in during my trip.

and that's another major point about my current irons I very much dislike that I forgot to mention...mis hits are not an issue, in a bad way! Doesn't matter where I hit the face its still gonna be a reasonable flight and not punish me. I would much rather have a club that gives more feedback and FORCES me to hit better rather than just the club sayin "yea that was a pretty bad hit, but its OK ill cover your ass and make it fly good"

Use a contact sticky on the range to improve contact. On the course, you don't care - it's about a score. But practicing with the sticky should help.

getting super excited to try out all the options listed and really looking forward to the Cobra's. wish i could head down now...stupid adulting and having to work to pay bills. maybe my stocks will pay off and i can retire at 33 and play golf all the time!!!

I agree with the list thrown out in the prior posts. There are SO many good offerings in this category of iron. I personally would narrow in on the following ( in no particular order):

Cobra Forged Tec
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro
Mizuno 921 Forged
Srixon 5 Series (have not hit or even seen the newest release in person)
Callaway Apex

You definitely would not go wrong with any of those.

Yeah, there are honesty a ton of options in this realm now, and it’s become maybe the most popular section.

Make me tell you one set though? KING Forged Tec all the way.

those were actually on my initial list but i took them off for two reasons... 1. i wont be able to try them in Phoenix since they are direct sale and 2. I couldnt really get a feel from the article wrote on how forgiving they were....referring to the PTxPro
If you're a lefty, I wouldn't get my heart set on anything Ben Hogan.

wow those Cobras look stunning, but would they have the forgivness? they look like a pretty strict players iron?
Can confirm they are not a strict players iron and offer plenty of forgiveness, much more so than appears in photos. If you look at Cobras lineup they are one spot below their most forgiving line the SZ.

I’d also look at the new Srixon ZX5 and the Callaway Mavrik or Apex line as well.

All the options mentioned are great, but don’t be scared to try players style irons as well. You never know how they’ll perform for you if you don’t give them a chance.

The concept of forgiveness has been a little romanticized and isn’t going to magically make you play better golf or shoot lower scores. So pick options you like the look off and then test them against each other until you have one you like well enough to buy.

Mizuno Hot Metal/HM Pro.... lofts and designs are same, just some sizing difference. Ticks all the boxes.

hi all,
been doing a ton of research and trying to figure out what i want. I dont have my Handicap but on average i will score between 98-110. When i use to play more often (which im starting to again) my range was more 95-105 and most of my added strokes were from the box or not taking my time putting. I feel my 6-PW game is going beyond GI level, as-in im wanting more spin and dont need the help in loft since I get the ball up just fine. Already talked on another thread and sounds like the PXG 0311XF are an awesome option and im scheduled for a swing session at their Scottsdale facility in a week. but its always good to know what the options are right?!?! so here are some other clubs that came on to my radar that i was hoping to get some feedback and opinions. Main objectives are to have more spin and a nice clean look of players irons but still forgiving since im obviously not a club status player. Figured i should be able to take a swing with any option thrown out there while im in Phoenix.

PXG 0311XF
TM P790
Ping G700
Callaway Apex Forged (not sure if im good enough for the Apex Pro which is getting close to a straight players iron)

i would go Apex CF-19 or Mizuno HMP for the profile you are looking for.

Can confirm they are not a strict players iron and offer plenty of forgiveness, much more so than appears in photos. If you look at Cobras lineup they are one spot below their most forgiving line the SZ.

I’d also look at the new Srixon ZX5 and the Callaway Mavrik or Apex line as well.
Ample forgiveness packed into a damn sleek looking iron. The FT’s might be the best on the market in that regard.

just curious, when i get a custom full bag fitting, how quickly do you think they could have the clubs ready for me? I plan to get fitted the 15th for Irons, woods, and possibly a driver and planned to play with some friends 17-20th.

just curious, when i get a custom full bag fitting, how quickly do you think they could have the clubs ready for me? I plan to get fitted the 15th for Irons, woods, and possibly a driver and planned to play with some friends 17-20th.
Depends on the place, but current lead times aside, for most good builders 1 day in between (the 16th) would be nearly impossible

Depends on the place, but current lead times aside, for most good builders 1 day in between (the 16th) would be nearly impossible
it will be 2nd swing scottdale. The downfall of living in Alaska, trying to get so much done each trip to AZ

Would also throw in Callaway epic forged. A bit pricer but give the forgiveness and more of a players profile. Callaway preowned stil has some stock of them

anybody try the Honma TW-X? still just looking at all the options before i head down.

I'm almost to the point of going to a regular shaft, OR a GI set, OR a newer combo set, OR trying a blast from the past like the Callaway X-14 Pro Series with an updated shaft, OR just giving up entirely... lol

I'm almost to the point of going to a regular shaft, OR a GI set, OR a newer combo set, OR trying a blast from the past like the Callaway X-14 Pro Series with an updated shaft, OR just giving up entirely... lol
I went through a similar thought process last year about this time. I was playing Taylormade Tour Preferred CB's with steel shafts. While the trajectory and accuracy was still fine, I had lost distance over the last 9 years. So, I went for a fitting and came out with Recoil shafts in Ping G700 irons. Trajectory improvement as well as distance improvement. Accuracy was about the same. A win for me.

Not on your list, but the bottom half of my current set is the Srixon Z585, and that sounds like exactly what you're describing. My long iron game is better than ever and they still look really clean and similar to players irons, while still providing enough forgiveness and help. I believe the new version is out called the ZX5. Don't have any experience with the irons you listed, but it sounds like the Srixon might be right up your alley.

I went through a similar thought process last year about this time. I was playing Taylormade Tour Preferred CB's with steel shafts. While the trajectory and accuracy was still fine, I had lost distance over the last 9 years. So, I went for a fitting and came out with Recoil shafts in Ping G700 irons. Trajectory improvement as well as distance improvement. Accuracy was about the same. A win for me.
I'm thinking I would see some noticeable improvement if I went down a similar path. It's really the mid-irons and long irons that are a problem now. I've lost a bit of distance in those clubs and my 4-iron is only about 5 yards of carry better than my 5-iron.

Do the Recoil shafts have a lower kickpoint or are they lighter? What about them makes your distances improve?

I'm thinking I would see some noticeable improvement if I went down a similar path. It's really the mid-irons and long irons that are a problem now. I've lost a bit of distance in those clubs and my 4-iron is only about 5 yards of carry better than my 5-iron.

Do the Recoil shafts have a lower kickpoint or are they lighter? What about them makes your distances improve?
Definitely lighter. I have Recoil 65 shafts in my G700's now. My previous iron shafts were DG XP steel shafts. I was sure I would end up in the players distance category like the TM P790. But, the G700 outperformed it during my club fitting. The newer G710 comes in a black finish which looks cool.

Last edited:
Another vote for something in the Players Distance category. I'm a huge fan of the Apex 19's but that's the only option in this category I've really tried so I can't comment on others. I would definitely include the 19's during your search.

Don't get hung up on the iron category. It is mostly marketing. Get fitted and try a bunch of different types. And keep an open mind. I'm a 5.5 index and play Ping G700 irons. They may be classified as super game improvement. But, they meet my performance needs - higher trajectory and increased distance while providing a good descent angle to hold greens.

I can't recommend this strongly enough. My suggestion to friends going in for a fitting (even if they're dead set on a certain OEM and model) is to ask the fitter not to tell you what you're hitting. Most of us have some preconceived notions about this club, that brand or another that can clutter the thought process of finding the best fit for you.

I couldnt really get a feel from the article wrote on how forgiving they were....referring to the PTxPro

I've played the PTx Pros and was amazed at their forgiveness. I hit shots that I knew were not struck well but turned out a lot better than I expected. The irons have great feedback but aren't overly penal. I can't imagine a bigger bang for the buck. The demo program mentioned above is fantastic.

I'd also rec the Cobra Forged Tecs. They are very good in every aspect.

Enjoy the process!

Would also throw in Callaway epic forged. A bit pricer but give the forgiveness and more of a players profile. Callaway preowned stil has some stock of them

The Epic Forged don't spin which was the issue for me. I couldn't get enough spin on them to maximize their potential. For me the Apex worked better because the EF dropped out of the air on me.

Back