Misleading Info from an OEM? Your Thoughts

100% agree with you. I also don't think this is just a thing that Snedeker thought of. When Luke Donald was #1 in the world, he had a Mizuno headcover on a TaylorMade driver, and everyone knew it was a TM driver because of the white head at that time. Vijay Singh had a Cleveland headcover on a TM driver back in the day when he was #1 in the world too.

He tried the 716 line last season early in the Fedex Cup playoffs and went back to the 714 line. He's not comfortable yet with the turf interaction on the 716 line. I bet that once he has more time to work with Titleist on that issue, they'll get him into a set of the 716 irons.

I heard this too as I think everyone did. I figured he would use the off Season's to put them back in play.

Not lying just not telling the entire truth.

It's marketing and I don't see a huge problem with it.

Nothing different than a mailer I got about Kuchar maybe 4 years ago and see his WITB here on THP and everything is proto not available to the public.

I have a lot less issues with these ad's over the rapid release ad's that hype all of these latest & greatest breakthroughs on the latest release over clubs that are not even hardly a year old yet. Now that bothers me.

Bottom line = the OEM's have to keep the clubs flowing out the door or the shareholder's drop a bomb on them, whether there truly is any thing to be gained or not.

Personally I don't like this kind of thing at all but I'll get over it. It's very intentional and not the way it should be done in my opinion.

I have seen this before from other OEMs so Titleist is by no means the only one that does this. That being said, I don't like it either because it is very misleading to consumers who aren't as golf educated as the member in here. We all know that there are people out there that will buy something because a pro plays it, so to me its very deceiving.

I play semantics when I can get away with it so I can't really complain about this. :angel:

Sneaky but not a huge deal IMO.

I thought it was intentionally deceptive. But I don't really care.

I want more details on why he seemed to struggle with the 716's. So much that he swapped back to 714's. Surely the 716's were built to the exact spec's of the 714's. So is it in his head or are the club heads that different? And what does Titleist have to do to get the 716's in his bag? Assuming they even care.

I dont think it's a big deal.

Look at a lot of the commercial ads featuring Tour players and equipment. Read the fine print and most of the time you will see something like **Such and Such Player does not game the such and such irons".

OEMs pay these guys, and capitalize on their wins.

It's a real stretch to find any deception with that...

I think it's a little deceptive, but I have no problem with it. It is marketing.

What do you expect Titleist to do here? "Try our new irons. Speith didn't like them as much as our older ones, but what does he know?" I'm sure its a bit awkward from their point of view. Obviously they're never going to have a problem with him winning tournament after tournament with Titleist gear, but it wasn't exactly a secret that he was gaming older equipment. I'm sure they'd rather him win with old equipment than struggle with new, but it is a very interesting situation to me. You have a company trying to convince the consumer to upgrade to their new model when the #1 player in the world won't do it himself. Thats tough.

I think it is similar to Ricky Fowler playing a Bio-Cell 5 wood at the players last year (unless I dreamed that), but to Cobra's credit I don't recall seeing the same marketing strategy from them after that win. Obviously a big win like that is good for the brand, but it also has to feel a little bit like your new advancements in technology are being undermined. It must be hard to get a competitive tour player to turn lose of a club they have 100% confidence standing over. Maybe we as consumers could learn from that strategy. I know I need to take that advice more often.

Deceptive for sure for the casual fan. Does it bother me? Not one bit.

Back