It goes without saying that the 921 Forged feel amazing. I have never played a Mizuno iron and immediately once I hit them I realized this is what many were talking about all along.

Feel being subjective, and let's say they feel great, that brings up to performance. Distance wise I am not seeing a gap from my HMP 7i to the Forged 8i. There is a 6* gap there, but on course results does not having me wishing I bent the 7i weaker or the 8i stronger. Compared to my previous set (Apex CF-19 Combo) the lofts are pretty similar.

I will say I am not sure if it is the shaft change (went back to Recoil 95's) but I am seeing a touch more distance out of the Forged 8-PW. I know we all deliver the club differently at impact, but FOR ME I am not seeing anything that would tell me I have gapping issues.
Thanks for getting back. All things considered. You are very right on individual swings/delivery at impact and lofting preferences. The only real feedback i have thus far is the HMP 6i bent one degree weak at the fitting that gave me numbers on the trackman and consistency I’ve never seen or felt in my life and then having hit the stock forged 7i maybe 8 balls worth at the local shop by my house which produced nice numbers on the trackman as well - this making them top choices going into the fitting. Also having never owned Mizzy irons the feeling when hit well really is something else!!!! and mishits not harsh and not punishing at all with both irons.

part of me just wants to order the forged 8-PW right now and be done with it and the other part says save your dough and at least play the HMPs first. Club champ gives a 90 day grace period so I think I will just play the HMP and see what’s what then make the decision within the 90 day period.

Not Mike, but as I love golf talk I wanted to chime in something I saw in the THP Club Lab last week, hitting 8i to 8i at standard lofts in the Forged and HMP I saw a 5 yard carry difference. Not a ton, but, that would be 1/2 a club for most and worth mentioning imo.
J Man - thanks for chiming in. Love some chat as well. Yes that is what I am concerned about too especially in the 8-PW (want to be as accurate yardage wise as I can) also gapping into Vokey SM8 50* (my 50,54,58 yardages are spot on) and just thinking the HMP might be a bit hot in the lower irons. Less roll out preferred. Need to just get my HMP’s and play them for a real assessment. My game has improved a lot over the last year and like the idea of using the forged 8-PW as tools to help me become a better iron striker. Can’t wait to start swinging em see what’s what and then I can make a more accurate decision.

J Man - thanks for chiming in. Love some chat as well. Yes that is what I am concerned about too especially in the 8-PW (want to be as accurate yardage wise as I can) also gapping into Vokey SM8 50* (my 50,54,58 yardages are spot on) and just thinking the HMP might be a bit hot in the lower irons. Less roll out preferred. Need to just get my HMP’s and play them for a real assessment. My game has improved a lot over the last year and like the idea of using the forged 8-PW as tools to help me become a better iron striker. Can’t wait to start swinging em see what’s what and then I can make a more accurate decision.

I have both the HMP and the Forged, and can confirm that if think "5 yards more" you will be happy with your split.
The HMP lauch plenty high, so roll out is an absolute non issue. At least for me.

I have both the HMP and the Forged, and can confirm that if think "5 yards more" you will be happy with your split.
The HMP lauch plenty high, so roll out is an absolute non issue. At least for me.
This is a biggie imo, the HMP short irons are really fun, and I don’t think they should be slept on. Split sets are fun, but these are well engineered top to bottom.

Yes def. had great launch with HMP in 6 and 7i so that being said could just be dialing in the lofts through the set for optimal performance. Thanks for the feedback!!!

Having both sets, are the shafts the same? Do you prefer one or the other ? Are you aiming at making the epic mixed bag? what’s your overall opinion of the hmp 8-pw vs. forged 8-pw besides the 5 yard carry difference.

This is a biggie imo, the HMP short irons are really fun, and I don’t think they should be slept on. Split sets are fun, but these are well engineered top to bottom.
Great to know and so keen to learn/see what they all about. Not too hot ? Good consistency ?

Great to know and so keen to learn/see what they all about. Not too hot ? Good consistency ?
Not at all, that’s something it was fun to talk to Chris Voshall in person about, they aren’t seeking a super low spin super hot iron, that’s not in their DNA as a company, hitting all four 921 sets, it was evident too.

Not at all, that’s something it was fun to talk to Chris Voshall in person about, they aren’t seeking a super low spin super hot iron, that’s not in their DNA as a company, hitting all four 921 sets, it was evident too.
Very encouraging. I think I’ve obsessed over the “mixed bag” idea due to cold temps and too much time on the computer haha. Just need to play em!! Thanks for the info.

Yes def. had great launch with HMP in 6 and 7i so that being said could just be dialing in the lofts through the set for optimal performance. Thanks for the feedback!!!

Having both sets, are the shafts the same? Do you prefer one or the other ? Are you aiming at making the epic mixed bag? what’s your overall opinion of the hmp 8-pw vs. forged 8-pw besides the 5 yard carry difference.

No shafts are different, both "stock"(so Modus 120 and LZ 5.5) sets I bought in an effort to figure out split set. That was....months ago. Sigh. My opinion changes with the day and how I am swinging it....hence my problem. Current intel is that while the HMP absolutely in the longer irons unless you are single digit HDCP. The HMP are really really good, even in the short irons. The forged short irons just look better, and blend into wedges better(cosmetically).

No shafts are different, both "stock"(so Modus 120 and LZ 5.5) sets I bought in an effort to figure out split set. That was....months ago. Sigh. My opinion changes with the day and how I am swinging it....hence my problem. Current intel is that while the HMP absolutely in the longer irons unless you are single digit HDCP. The HMP are really really good, even in the short irons. The forged short irons just look better, and blend into wedges better(cosmetically).
Thanks for the info. Y’all have offered some helpful insight and the praise for the HMP has me at ease with my decision. Much appreciated.

At my fitting on Tuesday. The HM and the HM Pro were the most consistent heads, front to back and side to side of the 7 heads that I tried. It is what really sold me on them. That and the sound is fantastic. You know right away how well you've hit them just by the sound. They've done very well in that regard IMO.

At my fitting on Tuesday. The HM and the HM Pro were the most consistent heads, front to back and side to side of the 7 heads that I tried. It is what really sold me on them. That and the sound is fantastic. You know right away how well you've hit them just by the sound. They've done very well in that regard IMO.
The feel and sound really is fantastic. 110% agree they’ve done a superb job. You really can’t go wrong - all levels of golfers are sorted. There is something for everybody in the jpx 921 hm, hmp, forged and tour take your pick.

So what did you end up going for ? HM or HMP? Still weighing the decision?

For what it's worth, I am a single digit handicap that did not do a combo set with the HMPs. Honestly, I didn't want to deal with figuring out how the sets should be matched with the HMPs being lower spin generally from the more performance based models and I wanted the consistence of one model. I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything with my setup.

These merely take some recalibration for my mind. My Epic Forged are really strong lofted so the Mizunos perform well in testing, they are about a club shorter in comparison. However, that should be expected because they are 3-5 degrees in loft differences (depending on the club). I just have to get used to my 155 club is a 6i instead of 7i

Forged 5i arrived :love:

Beast mode

The feel and sound really is fantastic. 110% agree they’ve done a superb job. You really can’t go wrong - all levels of golfers are sorted. There is something for everybody in the jpx 921 hm, hmp, forged and tour take your pick.

So what did you end up going for ? HM or HMP? Still weighing the decision?

I went 5-8 in the HM and 9 thru Gap in the HM Pros. Added their 4 hybrid also. Smashed that thing :cool:

For what it's worth, I am a single digit handicap that did not do a combo set with the HMPs. Honestly, I didn't want to deal with figuring out how the sets should be matched with the HMPs being lower spin generally from the more performance based models and I wanted the consistence of one model. I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything with my setup.
It’s worth a lot!!! That’s great. I’m thinking you hit plenty of GIR. Hearing this pleases me very much. I woke up this morning fishing for info and hoping to get some feedback and different people’s experiences and y’all have helped a ton. My mind is at ease and the thought of buying more irons is disappearing in the rear view mirror.

5i showed up today!

EC1A19A5-3693-4C90-A38E-CBC2410CFC24.jpegFE047922-4759-48EA-A8C0-2D10F2A1E1A7.jpeg78CFBA5A-AF2C-409E-ADDE-7FCED27137CA.jpegADD863E9-72DE-414A-9212-E6E23D05457B.jpeg957B8A70-47E2-4F91-8CBF-5AA52F1B9DE0.jpeg267D1FE0-5428-4486-82E9-9D09D483DDD2.jpeg

@Jman where’s the rest of the set?

Anyone gaming the JPX921 Hot Metal combo set? How are the hybrids? How many of them do you have? I see they are 4,5,6 and 7 with 4 and 5 in the stock set.

I am... I have PW-6i and the 5 and 4 hybrids.

I really dig it. The hybrids do have a draw bias, and at address, what's square to my eye is actually a bit closed, so I have had to adjust to that, but not a big deal.

The hybrids are great from the fairway and are super helpful from the rough or problem lies (since I don't play pristine fairways, haha).

Reactions: MH
I may hit just the forged 5i for 54 holes tomorrow :unsure:

Back