Has anyone changed the shaft on their 923 HM 4i?

I’m considering changing to a graphite shaft and using the 4i as a “driving” iron. Does this make sense or am I crazy?
I changed them all to graphite so not crazy 😃

Got fitted for a set of Hot metals today. 6-SW. 95 Graphite shaft. Midsize grips & 1* flat 1/2" short.
Felt great compared to my ancient Wilson's. 7i 30yd further, great launch 😃.
Thought I was going to need HLs, but no, HM were on the money.
Tried a couple other makes, but the Mizzies were awesome.

Got fitted for a set of Hot metals today. 6-SW. 95 Graphite shaft. Midsize grips & 1* flat 1/2" short.
Felt great compared to my ancient Wilson's. 7i 30yd further, great launch 😃.
Thought I was going to need HLs, but no, HM were on the money.
Tried a couple other makes, but the Mizzies were awesome.

Sounds a lot like my fitting last week. I got the Hot Metals 5-SW with recoil 95 shafts.

I have been playing Tommy Armour 855’s for 25+ years, so it was a real eye opener to see what modern irons can do. I can’t wait to get them. They said Mizunos are taking about 6 weeks.

I put in my order for the JPX 923 tours about 2.5 weeks ago, and I'm already chomping at the bit. I'm not exactly a low handicap, but my instructor/fitter said with the way my swing is plus my speed, the tours would be my best option. Ended up getting the 5-PW with +1" PX IO 6.5 shafts, and it's looking like a 6-8 week lead time. Now I'm stuck with my TM M4's that I was horribly fit for until then. :confused:

I've decided I'm going to put these back in play this weekend. I've been having wrist issues and I think a lot of it could have to do with the steel shafts I'm gaming in the ZX7's currently.

Going back to the 923 HMP's with Recoil 95 F4's to see if it makes any difference

Sounds a lot like my fitting last week. I got the Hot Metals 5-SW with recoil 95 shafts.

I have been playing Tommy Armour 855’s for 25+ years, so it was a real eye opener to see what modern irons can do. I can’t wait to get them. They said Mizunos are taking about 6 weeks.
I was told about 2 weeks

Absolutely loving my Hot Metals, as others have said toe side forgiveness is legit and that has been fantastic for my game.

These clubs are mental, I’m hitting the JPX 923 HMP easily a club longer! The toe is my new sweet spot, they are very forgiving the only issue I’m having is gapping the wedges in but hopefully that’ll work out over the next few months with that slot open until further notice

Welcome freaking back 923 HMP.
IMG_4640.jpeg

Look at that GIR% 🤯
Point and shoot.

Bringing that handicap down.
Forgiveness is there
Yes, after a month of playing CB’s I feel like it’s almost cheating. Really only one ‘bad’ iron shot. I had 160 from the first cut. It was a flyer lie I didn’t account for and roasted an 8i 40 ft deep that resulted in a 3 putt bc you don’t want to miss long on 18.

923 HMP 5i

Recoil Dart
Hey JB I don't see Recoil Dart 90 as a custom shaft option at three sites I checked. How'd you swing that?

Apex Pro is $215 a club while JPX923 HMP is a good value at $138. Still waiting for my 6-P irons but it's only been a week.

I took @BB Fan Girl back for another fitting today. She has a new set of JPX 923 HM HL on order in 6-GW with the MMT 60 A flex shafts. The Mizuno’s were the clear winner during her fitting. WAY more distance and height than her previous set. She asked the fitter to not tell her the brand she was hitting and was just letting her swing rip. I am super excited to get these in hand for her and on course.

I took @BB Fan Girl back for another fitting today. She has a new set of JPX 923 HM HL on order in 6-GW with the MMT 60 A flex shafts. The Mizuno’s were the clear winner during her fitting. WAY more distance and height than her previous set. She asked the fitter to not tell her the brand she was hitting and was just letting her swing rip. I am super excited to get these in hand for her and on course.
What Mizuno did with the high launch with what it does and the form factor it’s in is nothing short of amazing, imo.

Last edited:
What Mizuno did with the high launch with what it does and the form factor it’s in is nothing short of amazing, imo.

I did not expect at all for her to be in a Mizuno. After watching her hit them and seeing the results they are impressive.

These are beautiful irons. Glad they have arrived!
IMG_3472.jpegIMG_3473.jpegIMG_3474.jpegIMG_3481.jpegIMG_3482.jpeg

Back