Mizuno MP-20 Irons

Just played my first round. @Nate was in town and I was able to sneak out for a round. Overall I’m really happy with these. I think they’re a big step in the right direction from the MP18 MMCs. I’m maybe slightly longer with these and I really like the feel. I wasn’t swinging my best but they felt good and sure seemed to bail me out on one poorly struck shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, I’m really liking my p760’s but thinking I could use the extra forgiveness these would offer.

Nice, I’m really liking my p760’s but thinking I could use the extra forgiveness these would offer.

I can say they seem quite a bit more forgiving than my old set. But not clunky or off-putting in any way in exchange for that forgiveness. The offset appears to be minimal and they set up beautifully to my eye.

Right on, the only thing that worries me about the hmb’s is the size of the short irons & wish the combo set had the option to get the satin 7 iron in the pro’s

Sure there is a difference in the heads when compared up close, but when you sole them, that difference is negligible. It's silly to balk at the HMB's for their "size", when they offer such fantastic performance, feel, and especially forgiveness.

Here's a nice shot of the 7 irons. Once they are at your feet, it's easy to see how great of a job Mizuno did with the blending between the MB's and HMB's.

67091771_360808374808997_3052905649722624389_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sure there is a difference in the heads when compared up close, but when you sole them, that difference is negligible. It's silly to balk at the HMB's for their "size", when they offer such fantastic performance, feel, and especially forgiveness.

Here's a nice shot of the 7 irons. Once they are at your feet, it's easy to see how great of a job Mizuno did with the blending between the MB's and HMB's.

67091771_360808374808997_3052905649722624389_n.jpg
They really did a fantastic job on the HMBs. The feel is so close to a blade as well. They kept so much of the best things blades offer but with the forgiveness I require.

One of the must surprising aspects of the MP 20s is how well they play out of the rough. Today I had a 185 yard shot from some pretty knarly rough and the 6i I hit just came out so well.

I finally saw the HMB’s in hand today. I guess I was expecting them to be a tad more compact but perhaps that’s because the back gives off such a bladey image. They still look real good and the feedback in here is awesome too.

Just played my first round. @Nate was in town and I was able to sneak out for a round. Overall I’m really happy with these. I think they’re a big step in the right direction from the MP18 MMCs. I’m maybe slightly longer with these and I really like the feel. I wasn’t swinging my best but they felt good and sure seemed to bail me out on one poorly struck shot.
Took 2 swings w/ the PW on the range and they felt really good. I thought the HMB's would appear a little "thick" to me and was quite the opposite. Very slick looking iron and was impressed with the look and feel. This MP-20 line is right in the middle of my iron search starting in a few months.

Took 2 swings w/ the PW on the range and they felt really good. I thought the HMB's would appear a little "thick" to me and was quite the opposite. Very slick looking iron and was impressed with the look and feel. This MP-20 line is right in the middle of my iron search starting in a few months.
I know a guy with a set. ;)

Really excited to have picked these up during the Ultimate Weekend. Can't wait to start reviewing. First impressions from the weekend were fantastic. I didn't have my best swing after wearing myself out during the saturday range session and had some sloppy ones that you can't really get away with hitting a blade. With that said, when struck properly the feel of these were second to none. The 4i off the tee was money all weekend.

I just got a call today from the store, that my MP-20 SELs will be shipping out to the store this Thursday and should be here early next week!!!!!! Now I can't wait!!! Pure Buttery sweet heaven cant come soon enough for me!

Happy to say I’ve joined the Mizuno family with the MP-20 MMC at the ultimate weekend. I have to say these clubs felt great through the bag and the added forgiveness in the long irons compared to the MB’s was really the deciding factor for me.

excited to keep my reviews coming after playing pings for the last 18 years.

Happy to say I’ve joined the Mizuno family with the MP-20 MMC at the ultimate weekend. I have to say these clubs felt great through the bag and the added forgiveness in the long irons compared to the MB’s was really the deciding factor for me.

excited to keep my reviews coming after playing pings for the last 18 years.

Nice! What shaft did you settle on? Was it a surprise or kind of what you expected going in?

If you guys haven't read the last few posts of this thread, you are missing out :D

I have hit all the new mp20 offerings. I think the HMB work great in the long irons, in the 8,9,PW they just go too high. I love the way the MB's feel and look. If I was not playing the 18s, I may switch. I just do not see that much of a difference.

Last edited:
The event already sounds fantastic. THP never stops. :eek:

Experience...
And multiple and they are awesome. The last couple of posts should get Mizuno fans excited.

Hit the blades and hmbs today. Very similar feel for me which was promising. Might get a combo set next season. I like that they offer all grips and shafts with no upcharge which is not the case for other brands here in the UK.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Nice! What shaft did you settle on? Was it a surprise or kind of what you expected going in?

They have dg s300 105 in them. I’m coming from px 6.0 so I wasn’t sure I was going to like that combo but with the lower launching head it it has negated the extra height added by the lightweight shafts. If you had put a gun to my head and asked me before the event which irons I wanted to take home with me I would have told you the MMC

Had some more time to kill so I spent some time hitting all three irons side by side on a monitor at the local store. They performed about as expected for me with the MB launching lowest and the HMB launching higher and flying further. The MMC didnt really impress me, but I have a feeling it might have been the $-Taper shaft in it. I really liked the Modus 120 in the HMB so I'm hoping I'll eventually be able to test that shaft in all three heads. They blend together so well that I may even flirt with the idea of a blended set, something like HMB 3/4 to MMC 5/6 and MB 7/8/9.

If you like those you ought to try the 105's too. They have a very similar feel and are a bit lighter.

So I'm sad to say but my set is going back to mizuno for some tweaks. After trying then for a few rounds and a few range sessions they had a feel that was a bit off. Finally determined that it was the irons playing at C9 swingweight. They are headed back to get some weight added. I still wonder if Swingweight actually matters, but compared to my 919 tours it was pretty surprising the difference in strike. Hopefully a quick turnaround and the issue is resolved.

Overall I think these still look amazing and I'm having a hard time choosing which head I like the best but right now leaning towards the mmc.

I hit 15/18 gir my last round. Very pleased with the performance of the mp20 mb. Used them for 9 of the approaches (the rest being with wedges). Only missed one of those and it was a long shot due to an errant drive... ball was sitting in roots 130 yds out and i had to hit a big slice to get near the green — result was about 10 feet from the green. (The other 2 misses were one from badly hooked drive so I had to punch out and hit my 3rd on which was another successful MP20mb shot, and the other was a 3/4 gap wedge I just didn’t hit hard enough and found a trap.)

Still what impresses me most is the vertical forgiveness of the clubs. Hit it thin or a little fat and you’re still on the green. The cog is in just the right spot so spin and carry are mated correctly even if you don’t flush it. Not heel/toe forgiveness, but vertically on the face. I think it makes a real difference.

If you like those you ought to try the 105's too. They have a very similar feel and are a bit lighter.

I'm really hoping to get on the mizuno shaft optimizer and then testing the best ones side by side. I've got a lot of downtime in the new england winters to experiment.

I'm really hoping to get on the mizuno shaft optimizer and then testing the best ones side by side. I've got a lot of downtime in the new england winters to experiment.
I need to open an indoor fitting and practice facility in Boston :LOL:?, that would be so much fun.

Thoughts on the mbs vs jpx 919 tour? Hit both and the accuracy of the 919s was crazy.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Back