Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

I keep looking at the 223's. I really would love to get a set of those. I'm disappointed the fli-hi are RH only. Figures you guys get all the fancy stuff. LOL

You might be the first person I can recall saying you liked those shafts haha. I have not had good experiences with them at all

👋 See all my 2020 posts in the Apex thread, the build thread, the live round thread, etc. :p

I like 'em too. There aren't many of us here, but we really appreciate them.

Finally got a bit more time with them yesterday. While I am still working to get my swing back, it was much better than last time. I am really enjoying the 225s. I have nothing at all negative to say. They fee like a Mizuno, nice and buttery soft off the face.

I can’t get a good feel on distances because we are hitting off the range mats at the course right now and I have only hit off those a few times. I always feel like I hit the ball short from there though so it is probably fine. One thing though about that, they appeared to gap really well through the set. I don’t think I will have to make any loft adjustments to improve gapping. I do find that some sets occasionally need some adjustments but these seem perfect.

The FliHi…… oh the FliHi. I was a bit nervous on this one, even though I hit my ZU85 2 well off the tee. I never felt like I could hit it off the turf/mat. With the FliHi at 15.5*(had it bent 1* strong) and the ZU85 at 18*, I was not expecting my best performance. I have been telling people for a long time how easy the ZU85s are to hit in long iron replacements and it has been my go to off the tee for months now on most holes. I am blown away by the FliHi though. Just for fun, I decided to try it off the mat with no tee. While I never could hit the ZU85 with more loft off the mat, I can smoke this FliHi off the mat. I was pretty impressed with myself. OK OK, I admit it. I wasn’t impressed with myself. I was impressed at how easy the FliHi was to hit. I have one club(aside from putter) in my bag right now that is not a Mizuno. It is my ZU85 3. I suspect it won’t make it through the season without being replaced by a FliHi. That’s a big statement from me as that club is one I bomb off the tee and my go to when I need a lot of distance for my second swing.

Man all this love for the Fli Hi has me really curious. I started my 225s at the 5 iron and was planning on doing a 4 hybrid. I might have to demo one of these if I can find one.

I'm still here. Store tormented by blue iron pictures. Only thing going to save me is some new JPX release possibilities

I'm still here. Store tormented by blue iron pictures. Only thing going to save me is some new JPX release possibilities

That ain't happening 'till next year unless they catch up on the cycles.:ROFLMAO:

And the Mizuno Pro is a better-looking lineup. 223 Babeeeee! You can handle it.

That ain't happening 'till next year unless they catch up on the cycles.:ROFLMAO:

And the Mizuno Pro is a better-looking lineup. 223 Babeeeee! You can handle it.
I think I can... but wonder why I wouldn't just go 225s.... can't decide... I've still got my money put up from where I was going to order the King Tours last season... Just need a nudge the right way I guess:cool:

I think I can... but wonder why I wouldn't just go 225s.... can't decide... I've still got my money put up from where I was going to order the King Tours last season... Just need a nudge the right way I guess:cool:

Depends on what you want from your setup. Pure distance in 225 or a little more precision with almost as much forgiveness and a little more spin in the 223. The 223 looks better to my eye and that's different for everyone. I also like a shorter heel to toe - you get more precision. You could blend as in the 8-PW where they are both similar although the 9-PW in the 225 is 1025E whereas the 8i in 225 is chromoly face (check me on that).

I still think we will eventually find the 223 a bit smoother through the turf with that beveled sole. You could blend at the 6i or 7i to 223. But that would drive some people crazy. I just weakened the 225 lofts by one degree to get to the 223 break. I would also strengthen the 223 PW by a degree.

Depends on what you want from your setup. Pure distance in 225 or a little more precision with almost as much forgiveness and a little more spin in the 223. The 223 looks better to my eye and that's different for everyone. I also like a shorter heel to toe - you get more precision. You could blend as in the 8-PW where they are both similar although the 9-PW in the 225 is 1025E whereas the 8i in 225 is chromoly face (check me on that).

I still think we will eventually find the 223 a bit smoother through the turf with that beveled sole. You could blend at the 6i or 7i to 223. But that would drive some people crazy. I just weakened the 225 lofts by one degree to get to the 223 break. I would also strengthen the 223 PW by a degree.
Just bend the 223s 2 degrees strong...? I was spinning the 7 iron 7400 with a 165 carry. Bring that down a little and won't need any more distance. I don't want a 195 yard 7 iron. That means I'd have to practice a lot more with my wedges to fill in the bottom of the bag. :)

👋 See all my 2020 posts in the Apex thread, the build thread, the live round thread, etc. :p

I like 'em too. There aren't many of us here, but we really appreciate them.

1643232047207.png

Just bend the 223s 2 degrees strong...? I was spinning the 7 iron 7400 with a 165 carry. Bring that down a little and won't need any more distance. I don't want a 195 yard 7 iron. That means I'd have to practice a lot more with my wedges to fill in the bottom of the bag. :)

I'd leave the 223 lofts alone, except for PW (1 strong) and add loft (weaken) to the 225 by one degree in a blended set. I don't want to alter the turf conditions of the 223; the 225 is already a little wider sole and weakening will give it one more degree of bounce. The 225 doesn't look very bouncy - just slightly wider.

Last edited:
Are they not caught up?

Good question - usually the Mizuno Pro line will come out in Sep followed by the next September with the JPX - you know more than me as to whether they will return to traditional dates or whether the pandemic will alter the schedule.

Anyone here having any concerns about the Fli-Hi. I’m looking for primarily a tee club that I can play low around 215-220 carry. Not a club I’ll use often off the fairway and hybrids off tee tend to go left.

Anyone here having any concerns about the Fli-Hi. I’m looking for primarily a tee club that I can play low around 215-220 carry. Not a club I’ll use often off the fairway and hybrids off tee tend to go left.

Get the right shaft and you should be fine. On the range, it's very good off the deck - Boom! I haven't hit it much off the tee - will do that today.

Get the right shaft and you should be fine. On the range, it's very good off the deck - Boom! I haven't hit it much off the tee - will do that today.
I think I'm going to penny up for a Nippon GOST and see if I can make it work

Yeah. It's too damn long for the spot I would use it in. :LOL:

Other than that, no concerns. That thing is easy peasy.

I think I'm going to penny up for a Nippon GOST and see if I can make it work

Oh, that's fancy. (y)

I put in a dozen swings with the 223 last night just messing around. They are fun.

I’m afraid if I don’t buy a set of these I will always regret it. Done my taxes and I’m out of excuses. Going back Monday for another look.

I’m afraid if I don’t buy a set of these I will always regret it. Done my taxes and I’m out of excuses. Going back Monday for another look.

I want a bit more distance so I'll be going to 85g shafts when all the 223's come in. I find them more stress free. Now it's whether SmacWrap 780 ES or MMT 85 Taper.

I want a bit more distance so I'll be going to 85g shafts when all the 223's come in. I find them more stress free. Now it's whether SmacWrap 780 ES or MMT 85 Taper.
If I go this route I'll go with 225s and likely Modus 120 S, maybe X. Really considering AMT white S300

Back