Mizuno ST-G220 Driver

Lowest standard loft is 9.5

Why not buy a 10.5? That increases the spin sufficiently and you have a square set up. You can increase lie angle by one degree with the setting. If you want more ball speed, adjust the weights more towards the face. I put one in HIGH MOI (that will give you more spin) and one in the back heel setting - slight draw effect. Or you can put both weights in the HIGH MOI setting.OR if you want more spin - get a softer tipped/lighter 50g shaft. Works for me.

That's exactly what I was hoping to do, but I believe the ST-G is only available in one loft option. 9 degrees(?).

A’ight.. just a thought.
I had a shaft at 44.5 at one point and it just didn't work out. I really thought it would have done exactly what you had in mind.

Really, i just need to find my slot at the top again. Someone messed with my right elbow at one point, and it really butchered what worked SO well.

I had a shaft at 44.5 at one point and it just didn't work out. I really thought it would have done exactly what you had in mind.

Really, i just need to find my slot at the top again. Someone messed with my right elbow at one point, and it really butchered what worked SO well.

I have no doubt it will come around.

I read that (i think) the face sits 3 degrees open in the standard setting. I’ve not measured, but i think i read that here?

Really??? I would say I find that hard to believe, considering the max adjustability on F/A is -1 degree. Although, at one time I had an MP-650, and I do believe that was 2 degrees open, so might not be so unexpected for Mizuno.

Understood thanks all for the correction. I thought i read it but I’m not good at eyeballing a few degrees.

:unsure:I think that's an old wive's tale.:oops: Some say it's 1 open, I think it's square, and it is flatter than most other drivers.
I have two heads. They both measure a full degree open.

I should add that depending who is measuring and what they are using open and closed is relative a bit due to how the face is angled with bulge and roll. It would surprise a lot of people how open many drivers are today

I should add that depending who is measuring and what they are using open and closed is relative a bit due to how the face is angled with bulge and roll. It would surprise a lot of people how open many drivers are today

No wonder I have a power fade...

Love that you can confirm numbers!
We try. Our measurement device isn’t the best, but it works and we will be upgrading that soon too. I measure relative to each other for consistency more than I do vs stated specs

We try. Our measurement device isn’t the best, but it works and we will be upgrading that soon too. I measure relative to each other for consistency more than I do vs stated specs

Need to recalibrate my eye calculator. :unsure:

That's exactly what I was hoping to do, but I believe the ST-G is only available in one loft option. 9 degrees(?).

I apologize. I have 4 drivers that I'm going through now and I am getting them mixed up.

Ok, thanks to @Desmond i now have 3 shafts to use and work with. I looked at the specs earlier and Jens set up the driver in up right +1 which should be kinda sorta similar to other drivers I’ve had success with. Had not used it in upright before.

i have the diamana m+ 50 r, likely a bit loose, based on Mitsubishi’s site, the ilima 60 r tipped 1/4 inch, due to previous shaft prep/tip differences. And the original motore 60 r.

I’ll assume the motore may perform best now that I’m in upright, but other than weight, any significant differences in the m+ vs ilima?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks to @Desmond i now have 3 shafts to use and work with. I looked at the specs earlier and Jens set up the driver in up right +1 which should be kinda sorta similar to other drivers I’ve had success with. Had not used it in upright before.

i have the diamana m+ 50 r, likely a bit loose, based on Mitsubishi’s site, the ilima 60 r tipped 1/4 inch, due to previous shaft prep/tip differences. And the original motore 60 r.

I’ll assume the motore may perform best note that I’m in upright, but other than weight, any significant differences in the m+ vs ilima?

With the I'lima only tipped 1/4 inch, I think it will give you some pop and spin to get the ball up. It's pretty loose untipped.

With the I'lima only tipped 1/4 inch, I think it will give you some pop and spin to get the ball up. It's pretty loose untipped.
Thanks only tipped it for aesthetics.

That’d be superb. Have you tried it in the upright?

Yes, with one weight in MOI and one in the heel/back. I think that's my setup or I get towering fades - very impressive. I may install a Slay 55 R flex - it's like the I'lima - soft tip that needs a teeny bit of tipping.

Yes, with one weight in MOI and one in the heel/back. I think it's preferred. I may install a Slay 55 R flex - it's like the I'lima - soft tip that needs a teeny bit of tipping.
Did have better results vs standard? Based on how i have the honma set up, heavy weight in front, I’m trying the Stg with the weights left and right but to the rear. Compromise position.

Interesting range session today.
Motore F3 6R

Diamana Ilima 60x5ct

Diamana M+ 50x5ct R

all vs Honma TR20 with Vizard 50 S

First note until today, I NEVER set it up (STG) in upright, today I did, power fade GONE sight fade, straight, slight draw and a couple ducks (as i tired).

Honma was shorter but more consistent early and late.

Motore was playable but required more work from me.

Ilima - very smooth but being slightly shorter, lost a bit of distance to both the Motore and the M+ but it was point and shoot very accurate no uglies.

The surprise M+ least work most distance, very few uglies felt good.

other surprise… weights in most forward position on both sides - the distance position, and with all three shafts mostly playable.

Welcome back to the bag STG!

Not playing until Sunday but looking very forward seeing what happens. Today was the best overall day hitting this club.

What a MAJOR stupid I am for NOT trying upright sooner. I was focused only on weight distribution and 9-11 loft standard settings.

Today, I started with it in upright +1. It was great, tried it in upright/standard loft and it made all difference longer and more roll.

Last edited:
The Honma TR20 460 is set up at 45 inches; I don't know the length of your STG setup.

Honma seems to get a better smash factor lower to mid on the face. Low tee height may help.

The STG is definitely a driver to find a way to play. It is forgiving, adjustable, lowish spin and has a great look. I am going to take it out tomorrow against the Epic Speed.

The Honma and the STG with the Ilima were similar distance. The M+ was flying 10-20 yards past routinely (at 1/2" longer), I suspect that the Ilima and M+ are very similar. The M+ being slightly lighter and longer was easier to load and the extra distance - nice.

The fact that I was NOT using the MOI setting was a huge surprise and the fact that there were so few poor shots (power fades or duck hooks) was surprising as well.

Frankly, today, both clubs and all shafts were working well - and I mixed up the drivers purposely so that I would be able to make early, later (as I tired) etc swings - it was not just one club early and other late.

I am sure I need to do more testing - but today for the immediate future - I am very happy with the results. Not looking for more shafts or other clubs (don't tell anyone)!

As to my fairways and hybrid - TS2 older Titleist tech - never expected them to work so well - they do with Tensei Blue shafts - loving all 3 of them.

I'll need to try the Honma with a lower tee position - have not tried that yet.

Back