More Popular Soccer Team?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Wrexham or AFC Richmond?

I realize that one is real and one isn't, that doesn't change the question.

Wrexham. Far more people in the world watch and follow soccer than watch Ted Lasso, which is saying something with as big of a smash sensation Ted Lasso is

Seeing as I haven't seen the Wrexham show, AFC Richmond all the way

• Admin
Wrexham. Far more people in the world watch and follow soccer than watch Ted Lasso, which is saying something with as big of a smash sensation Ted Lasso is
If they started in the big leagues I would 100% agree. But they were relegated REALLY low and were purchased for a song.
So it did beg the question since Ted Lasso streams are so freaking high.

If they started in the big leagues I would 100% agree. But they were relegated REALLY low and were purchased for a song.
I honestly think we ALL underestimate the viewership and fervor of soccer fans worldwide, it dwarfs everything.

Love Ted Lasso, but there are people that know Ted Lasso is a fictional soccer coach but have no idea the club he coaches in the show. Wrexham on the other hand was formed in 1864 and I think is way more popular club.

• Admin
I honestly think we ALL underestimate the viewership and fervor of soccer fans worldwide, it dwarfs everything.
I definitely agree there. Although I dont think Wrexham before the show had massive viewership.

I have never watched pro soccer or Ted Lasso. I did not know what Lasso's team was called, but did know Wrexham because Ryan Reynolds owns them and I see articles pop up all over on that from time to time.

I had no idea what the team name was from Lasso, so I’ll go with wrexham

Which is so weird to me..

Yes, but within the soccer universe, a team enjoying a sudden infusion of capital immediately gets eyeballs. Then you get some more money and more talent, and the ticker keeps going up. Yes, who bought the team also matters, otherwise every club that recently got bought by some oil baron would surge in viewership. And Wrexham is working from being a beloved giant-killer of a club in the FA Cup, so there's some history to mine there.

By comparison, Apple doesn't provide subscription numbers, packages Apple+ subs into the purchase of an iPhone, and still reportedly has fewer than 20 million subscribers. They would need near universal love and recognition of a fictional football team to hold up, so even if right new the Greyhounds are out ahead, I doubt it would last long.

Well here I was thinking we meant personally lol which is why I went Richmond

It's definitely Wrexham

Huge soccer fan and I knew of AFC Richmond before Wrexham. I think currently, with Ted Lasso being a few years old, it is more popular. But with Wrexham's success and ownership, it will broaden their fan base. So right now I think Richmond is more popular due to it pulling in none football fans, but Wrexham will catch and pass them eventually.

Yes, but within the soccer universe, a team enjoying a sudden infusion of capital immediately gets eyeballs. Then you get some more money and more talent, and the ticker keeps going up. Yes, who bought the team also matters, otherwise every club that recently got bought by some oil baron would surge in viewership. And Wrexham is working from being a beloved giant-killer of a club in the FA Cup, so there's some history to mine there.

By comparison, Apple doesn't provide subscription numbers, packages Apple+ subs into the purchase of an iPhone, and still reportedly has fewer than 20 million subscribers. They would need near universal love and recognition of a fictional football team to hold up, so even if right new the Greyhounds are out ahead, I doubt it would last long.
I’m not a soccer fan or Apple TV subscriber and I’ve only ever heard of one of these teams, and I imagine I’m not alone.

Ratings can be found for both however internationally.
Wrexham before purchase ratings were way less than Ted Lasso.
Post purchase, about even in year 1.

This last year its hard to tell as Wrexham was on ESPN as well as European TV since they moved up. Post move up, I would say it might be there. Before moving up, I dont think Wrexham popularity even with owners was as high as people are giving them credit for.

Their debut on ESPN brought in 89k viewers in the N. America. That is more than MLS, showing the power of the owners, dwarfed by Ted Lasso, but that is strictly N. America numbers, which one shouldnt expect to be as high.

Huge soccer fan and I knew of AFC Richmond before Wrexham. I think currently, with Ted Lasso being a few years old, it is more popular. But with Wrexham's success and ownership, it will broaden their fan base. So right now I think Richmond is more popular due to it pulling in none football fans, but Wrexham will catch and pass them eventually.
I would think Ryan Reynolds team is pulling in more none soccer fans, his social media reach and popularity far outweighs Apple TV subscribers

I would think Ryan Reynolds team is pulling in more none soccer fans, his social media reach and popularity far outweighs Apple TV subscribers
Does does Jason Sudekis and Hannah W.
I dont think there is any doubt that without Van Wilder, the answer would be easy, but with him, is it there yet?

It's honestly mind blowing when you think about it. I admittedly watched a good bit of the World Cup and I enjoyed it but I haven't watched a single game since. I just don't find it that exciting on a regular basis compared to other sports. I don't know what it is I'm missing.

It's honestly mind blowing when you think about it. I admittedly watched a good bit of the World Cup and I enjoyed it but I haven't watched a single game since. I just don't find it that exciting on a regular basis compared to other sports. I don't know what it is I'm missing.
Was one of my favorite things to teach about in AP Human Geography. Broke kids minds when compared to the NFL.

Is it bad I didn't know Wrexham?

I was gonna saw Wrexham by like ten-fold

No, you’re a baseball guy stuck in the 1900’s 🤣

I mean I've heard of them, only because of Reynolds and Mcelhenney. Before they became popularly involved, I never heard of them. Now if you said Manchester United or other teams in the EPL like Chelsea, Liverpool, etc sure.

As someone who doesn't follow all that closely, all of the leagues with regulation and de-regulation make it a bit confusing. It's just so many clubs and so many levels. It's like Minor league baseball.

Back