Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Yesterday I got a call from my buddy Dano, some of you know Dano from a Midwest outing and he was my counterpart on our short lived Tour Talk show last season. He was in town and wanted to get out for some golf. Dano and I have battled back and forth on the course for years, always tough matches and we always bring out the best in each others game.

So we're about to tee and the topic of our game is finally brought up. We decide on a game called Bank for quarters birdies double and we paired that up with a straight up head to head match play match as well. After a so so start we make the turn all square and both our banks were where we started, so basically nothing has been decided early on, we're like 2 boxers just feeling each other out. I should mention we decided to play a track that Dano worked at years ago...great course in town that I've played a ton but not much recently. So we get through the much easier front 9 with matching scores of 40. All square in the match and in banks, hole 10 Dano decides he's done effing around and drops a 20 footer for birdie to my par. He also wins 11 and 13 to go 3 up and well ahead in $ as well. I fire back with a birdie on 14, we halved 15 so we're standing on 16 with Dano up 2 with 3 to play. I decide to bank it....that means I'm basically all in for my entire pot on the 16th. I went on to win 16 with a birdie so I'm 1 down and just tripled my bank. 17 is a 180 yard par 3 that plays basically either hit green or you're screwed. I hit a smooth 5 iron to 15 feet and Dano misses the green. 2 putts par and we're all square on 18 and I have a good lead in the bank. $ wise I go for the jugular and pot it again. I wound up in the trees but I had a shot, barely. I wound up in the left hand bunker and Dano was just off the green on the high side. Here's where it gets awesome....Dano thinks he has me right where he wants me but I hit a perfect bunker shot that ended up an inch from the hole, conceded par. Dano fails to get up and down and I win the match 1 up. Our scores were identical 38s on the back for matching 78 on the day. I wound up winning 40 quarters off him off making that par on 18 while I was all in.

That was so much fun and it wad great to step up and play the best golf of my season when my back was too the wall. That kind of match with a good buddy was just what I needed to get some confidence back. I really needed that!

Nice work P4B- cool gambling game too.

I went to the putting green for about 45 minutes and played up and down. Hit a wedge and putt it in. Greens were way softer and slower than my home course, but better than nothing.

Nice work P4B- cool gambling game too.
Yeah that game is a lot of fun, basically you're just playing against your self and par on the hole. Before the hole you have to declare how much you'll bet (bank starts at 20 quarters), you have to make a par or better to win, birdies are double and eagles are triple. Minimum bet on each hole is 2, you make a bogey or worse and you lose the amount you bet from your bank. At the end guy with the lower amount of quarters in his bank owes the other guys. It's a lot of fun and really simple to play.

Thanks everyone, it felt great to see good shots again. Hoping that gets me some much needed confidence.

I went to the putting green for about 45 minutes and played up and down. Hit a wedge and putt it in. Greens were way softer and slower than my home course, but better than nothing.
Nice work Hawk, I love doing that for practice too, our coach in HS got us doing that all the time, great work on chipping and putting at the same time.

Yeah that game is a lot of fun, basically you're just playing against your self and par on the hole. Before the hole you have to declare how much you'll bet (bank starts at 20 quarters), you have to make a par or better to win, birdies are double and eagles are triple. Minimum bet on each hole is 2, you make a bogey or worse and you lose the amount you bet from your bank. At the end guy with the lower amount of quarters in his bank owes the other guys. It's a lot of fun and really simple to play.

Thanks everyone, it felt great to see good shots again. Hoping that gets me some much needed confidence.

I will absolutely try this out soon!

That sounds like a real good time Jake, and I am glad to hear you are hitting it well again.

I went to the range yesterday after work and hit a medium bucket of pitches and chips from all different lies and distances. It was the hardest I have worked on my short game in a long time. I have to say, that I really enjoyed doing it, and part of that was seeing a lot of good results. I have been changing a piece of my short game, and it seems to be shaping up well, so I am excited about it. I gathered the majority of my balls from the green, and took about 40 full swings. Feeling good and like things are continuing to move in the right direction, so I will just keep working, and hopefully take it to the course this weekend.

Good luck out there, yorkem. For some reason, I always feel like I accomplished something when I practice short game. I think the results are more immediate.

Puttin4Quarters with the big win! NIce work buddy!

That sounds like a real good time Jake, and I am glad to hear you are hitting it well again.

I went to the range yesterday after work and hit a medium bucket of pitches and chips from all different lies and distances. It was the hardest I have worked on my short game in a long time. I have to say, that I really enjoyed doing it, and part of that was seeing a lot of good results. I have been changing a piece of my short game, and it seems to be shaping up well, so I am excited about it. I gathered the majority of my balls from the green, and took about 40 full swings. Feeling good and like things are continuing to move in the right direction, so I will just keep working, and hopefully take it to the course this weekend.

Nice practice session man! This is something I need to adopt.

Good luck out there, yorkem. For some reason, I always feel like I accomplished something when I practice short game. I think the results are more immediate.

It took a lot of discipline for me to do it. I don't know why, even though I enjoy it, I almost get bored practicing my short game. I think that is a good thing though, because it forces me to focus on each shot, and that is good prep.

me too. i'm such a bum when it comes to practicing...
either that or the wife wants me home at a decent hour :bulgy-eyes:

last two days my prep consisted of getting familiar with my new Cleveland Classic 310 driver, on course.
thrown to the wolves so to speak but it came out alive, i'm happy to say.

i played the same 9 holes wednesday and thursday. shot 38(+3) both days. 3 bogies day 1, and 4 bogeys/1 birdie day 2. i also had great looks at birdie the final two holes last night, but just could not sink some testy putts. *kicks himself* (league night, skin money, darmit all!)

for this technically combined round, i managed to hit 9/14 fairways, 5/18 greens (yuck), 6/12 up&downs, 1/2 sand saves and 28 putts.
all in all, not too shabby.
i find myself coming in with a wedge to a lot of greens and i'm fairly certain it's not because i'm a beast off the tee....this yields mixed results. sometimes good, sometimes bad. i think sometimes i'd rather come in with an iron, but it depends. i'm quite sure i'll have that luxury whilst visiting the Fish Club.

me too. i'm such a bum when it comes to practicing...
either that or the wife wants me home at a decent hour :bulgy-eyes:

Yup. My problems exactly.

Jake, that sounds like spring creek? Although I haven't played there, that seems like a great score for that course! Sounds like a good time out and some great competition experience for MC.

last two days my prep consisted of getting familiar with my new Cleveland Classic 310 driver, on course.
thrown to the wolves so to speak but it came out alive, i'm happy to say.

i played the same 9 holes wednesday and thursday. shot 38(+3) both days. 3 bogies day 1, and 4 bogeys/1 birdie day 2. i also had great looks at birdie the final two holes last night, but just could not sink some testy putts. *kicks himself* (league night, skin money, darmit all!)

for this technically combined round, i managed to hit 9/14 fairways, 5/18 greens (yuck), 6/12 up&downs, 1/2 sand saves and 28 putts.
all in all, not too shabby.
i find myself coming in with a wedge to a lot of greens and i'm fairly certain it's not because i'm a beast off the tee....this yields mixed results. sometimes good, sometimes bad. i think sometimes i'd rather come in with an iron, but it depends. i'm quite sure i'll have that luxury whilst visiting the Fish Club.

Don't let one bad round of hitting greens bother you. Still shooting a 38 which means you were getting up and down pretty well.

Got so much going on the next week....the only prep I am getting in is the Texas Tour Van Stop tomorrow....but since I am playing with JB and going out in the first group with 14 or so others watching it should be good prep for July.

Plus I get to prep beating Cookie:D

All next week I am in L.A. with no clubs....but I have 3 days off next week and it will be friggin golf-a-thon then.

I finally got back out to the range today after not having hit balls for about a week and a half. 2 buckets on the range to start with, one bucket was entirely hit with my 54 degree wedge and a Swingyde on it, goal of that is to shorten my swing and also make sure the club is on plane. The second bucket was split up between my 8 iron, the Tour Striker Pro, and then the Mashie 3 wood and the Classic driver. I haven't felt really comfortable with the weight of the Mashie 3 wood today, but felt better after hitting about 25 balls with it. I'm really looking for that club to be something I can trust off of the tee in July, I'm hoping that I can get some more work with it soon.

After the range work was done, I went over to the practice green and took out my 58 degree wedge. I had 5 balls in my bag, so I decided to drop all 5 and then have some fun: take each of the 5 balls and hit them towards a different pin but all with the same club, so it makes me work on my creativity around the greens. After that, I would try to hole the putt that I was left with. I had 2 Srixon Z-Star balls and 3 Srixon Z-Star XV balls, so I had an inpromptu ball shootout as well. I learned some things after doing this for about 30 minutes. The first is that the Z-Star ball has a ton of spin around the greens, the check that occurs on the first bounce really surprised me at times. The Z-Star XV is not a slouch in that department by any means, but the Z-Star is on another planet in terms of spin. I'm also really getting comfortable with the Never Compromise putter as well as a new putting routine that I've been working on.

My parents are in town for a few days starting today, and my dad and I are headed out for a round of golf on Tuesday. It's always fun to play golf with him, and I can't wait to get out there. I'm going to play the Z-Star XV ball exclusively that day, I need to see how it performs off of the tee, especially with the Classic driver. I played a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of drives where I thought I might have had too little spin off of the driver with that ball, but it was also much colder that day than it will be on Tuesday as well as in MB in July, so we'll see what happens on Tuesday.

Nice, Ary. I feel the same way about the Z-Star. It's a spinny freaking ball.

Nice update Ary. I need to spend some time working on the short game this weekend.

Great updates guys.

Well I posted this in the "What did you shoot today thread" but I got out there for a round today in the middle of the day and again I'm playing my best golf tee to green that I ever have, but since I took those 3 weeks off because I had to work, my short game has gone to sh!t. I should have scored much better today, but my chipping and putting has just left me and I need to spend some time finding it.

I knew what the day might be like today when on the first hole I reached the par 5 in two and had a 12 foot eagle putt that I managed to 3 jiggle for par and things just went from there with 38 putts on the day, thats right, freaking 38!

Stats were:
41-41-82
Fwy's: 10/14
GIR: 13/18
Putts: 38

I'm really happy with my game tee to green right now, but I need to spend some time around the practice green and get a handle on things.

Played 18 today at a course I haven't played in two years. Had a very good round - 42 and 35 for a 77. Only 1 double bogey all round. Had 1 eagle and 2 birdies. Took 28 putts. Everything came together nicely today. Very happy with the way I played.

I finally got back out to the range today after not having hit balls for about a week and a half. 2 buckets on the range to start with, one bucket was entirely hit with my 54 degree wedge and a Swingyde on it, goal of that is to shorten my swing and also make sure the club is on plane. The second bucket was split up between my 8 iron, the Tour Striker Pro, and then the Mashie 3 wood and the Classic driver. I haven't felt really comfortable with the weight of the Mashie 3 wood today, but felt better after hitting about 25 balls with it. I'm really looking for that club to be something I can trust off of the tee in July, I'm hoping that I can get some more work with it soon.

After the range work was done, I went over to the practice green and took out my 58 degree wedge. I had 5 balls in my bag, so I decided to drop all 5 and then have some fun: take each of the 5 balls and hit them towards a different pin but all with the same club, so it makes me work on my creativity around the greens. After that, I would try to hole the putt that I was left with. I had 2 Srixon Z-Star balls and 3 Srixon Z-Star XV balls, so I had an inpromptu ball shootout as well. I learned some things after doing this for about 30 minutes. The first is that the Z-Star ball has a ton of spin around the greens, the check that occurs on the first bounce really surprised me at times. The Z-Star XV is not a slouch in that department by any means, but the Z-Star is on another planet in terms of spin. I'm also really getting comfortable with the Never Compromise putter as well as a new putting routine that I've been working on.

My parents are in town for a few days starting today, and my dad and I are headed out for a round of golf on Tuesday. It's always fun to play golf with him, and I can't wait to get out there. I'm going to play the Z-Star XV ball exclusively that day, I need to see how it performs off of the tee, especially with the Classic driver. I played a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of drives where I thought I might have had too little spin off of the driver with that ball, but it was also much colder that day than it will be on Tuesday as well as in MB in July, so we'll see what happens on Tuesday.

Have a great round with your pops dude!!

SW and I will getting some prep work in today. Should be fun times as usual. Time to go to work.

Good little practice session Ary. My dad never played, but I enjoyed playing with my uncle and grandpa. Have a blast, man!

GH, that's some solid shooting right there, nice job.

Playing 18 with Buckjob, Golf4Life, and Jersey Nate today. Going to concentrate on hitting more GIR's today

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Playing 18 with Buckjob, Golf4Life, and Jersey Nate today. Going to concentrate on hitting more GIR's today

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Play well bud, make sure g4l doesn't lose anything ;)

--
Tapatalk2

Back